Will this save money

stalbertsteve

Mouseketeer
Hey there Disney Friends

I have been thinking of options for our next cruise.

I have confirmed this would work with DCL today, I just have no way of confirming if this would save money or cause us to spend more. But first if it costs more we wouldn't do it, we would have a backup hotel reservation and spend some time in Orlando at the parks.

The Dream has 2 sailings, #1 is Nov 7-10 (3 nights) with 1 day CC and 1 sea day. The next sailing, #2 is Nov 10 (4 nights) with 2 days CC and 1 sea day. In total sailing B2B would give us 2 sea days + 3 CC days for a total of 7 nights.

We have done the pacific, eastern & western Caribbean. Our favorite spot to hang out is either satellite falls or Castaway Cay.

So here is what I have been thinking. We would book our flights to Orlando for Nov 6-14 knowing we would be cruising or going to the parks or a bit of both.

As soon as there is IGT or OGT for the #1 cruise (Nov 7 sailing) we would book it.

Today I discussed this with cast member who after speaking with a manger confirmed this could be done based on availability. I would visit the good folks on board who book future cruises on night 1 and book the #2 (Nov 10 sailing). We would get 10% discount and on board credit for doing this.

We know #2 would be dependent on availability, we know we wouldn't have the same stateroom or perhaps even the same category. We may not get the same dinning time but all of these unknowns is ok with us. If we don't get the #2 cruise we would have a backup plan for the Orlando area.

Here is the million dollar questions. Has anyone done this before? Do you save money doing this when you factor in the 10% discount, additional on board credit? What might we expect to spend on a last minute cabin with 3 nights notice? All of this would be in early November which is low season.

FYI, dream does not have satellite falls. Run the numbers and you'll be able to compare the costs.

I'm not positive, but I don't think you would be able to combine an onboard booking discount with a last minute cruise discount.

I'm not positive, but I don't think you would be able to combine an onboard booking discount with a last minute cruise discount.

I think you're right:

When booking this restricted-fare category stateroom, please note the following:
• New bookings only. Existing reservations cannot be modified to these new categories.
• You are reserving a stateroom within the selected stateroom type: Inside, Oceanview or Verandah*.
• Disney Cruise Line will assign your specific stateroom at a later time, based on remaining availability.
• Specific stateroom requests will not be accommodated.
• Full payment is required at the time of booking for all Guests and is non-refundable.
• Sail date and stateroom category changes are not permitted.
• The stateroom offer cannot be combined with any other discounted or promotional offer.
• Full legal names of all Guests are required at time of booking and no name changes are allowed.
• * Most Verandah staterooms include a private verandah with a clear plexiglass wall; some may include a solid white wall depending upon location. A limited number of Oceanview and Verandah staterooms may include a partially obstructed view.

IF there is a *GT rate available for the Nov. 10 cruise, you are better off to book it as soon as it becomes available. DCL will do all it can to fill the ship before you are on the Nov. 7 Dream cruise 3 days prior.

I would book both cruises with the GT rate or book a 7 night cruise on the Fantasy. If you have a Disney Visa you can get the 50.00 OBC even with the GT rate. You could also book both cruises with a TA and get the additional OBC they offer. Most likely GT rates for both cruises will be out at about the same time. I think GT rates the first 2 weeks in Nov are pretty much a given...that and the first two weeks of Dec are the slowest travel times of the year.

I don't believe that is what they meant. If I'm understanding correctly, the first cruise would be booked as an IGT when they are announced. Then the second cruise would be booked onboard at regular rates less the onboard booking discount, correct?

If so, I don't see why you couldn't do that. As long as you are OK with the possibility that no IGT rates may be published for the first cruise and/or the second cruise may not have any availability.

I do agree that if there is a lot of availability, you will probably see IGT rates for the second cruise before you leave and you might be better off booking that.

Best of luck with whatever you decide. :thumbsup2

I don't believe that is what they meant. If I'm understanding correctly, the first cruise would be booked as an IGT when they are announced. Then the second cruise would be booked onboard at regular rates less the onboard booking discount, correct?. :thumbsup2

You are correct JetSkiGirl, that's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks to all of you for your insights, greatly appreciated.

I am booked for Nov 15th on the Eastern Fantasy Cruise - how do I find out if there are GT rates.

You are correct JetSkiGirl, that's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks to all of you for your insights, greatly appreciated.

The problem I see with this is that the cruise might end up being sold out especially the inside rooms since they're not many of them. They offer a lot of last minute discounts in the Fall to FL res, military, airline employees, cast members, travel agents etc etc. Even though it's a slow time they will do what they have to do fill the ship. We always sail in the offseason and have gotten some great last minute rates, but ultimately the ships have ended up being sold out or very close to it.

I am booked for Nov 15th on the Eastern Fantasy Cruise - how do I find out if there are GT rates.

*GT rates are relatively last-minute highly discounted deals, including a lot of restrictions. They won't be out until after the PIF date for your cruise, and likely even close to the cruise date, so you'd have to take a penalty to cancel the current reservation and book a *GT -- assuming that still provides you savings. Or, cancel the current ressie and hope for a *GT.

Enjoy your cruise!

Just by stalking the DCL website. They aren't announced, they just show up on any given cruise. As a note, I'll say that Nov *GT is most likely not out yet. I believe they are only up to about June, as they appear (if they are going to) generally after the Paid in Full date for a cruise.

Just by stalking the DCL website. They aren't announced, they just show up on any given cruise. As a note, I'll say that Nov *GT is most likely not out yet. I believe they are only up to about June, as they appear (if they are going to) generally after the Paid in Full date for a cruise.
This is exactly how we booked our last two Fantasy cruises. We're retired and flexible and have been very pleased with the savings. We're keeping an eye on the Magic Med cruise at the end of August hoping that a VGT will pop up sometime this summer. We sailed on the March 4 Magic cruise with DS and his family. Due to his schedule we couldn't wait for a VGT and ended up paying as much for a 3 night cruise as we paid for our 7 night Fantasy Easter in January 2013.

Hey there Disney Friends

I have been thinking of options for our next cruise.

I have confirmed this would work with DCL today, I just have no way of confirming if this would save money or cause us to spend more. But first if it costs more we wouldn't do it, we would have a backup hotel reservation and spend some time in Orlando at the parks.

The Dream has 2 sailings, #1 is Nov 7-10 (3 nights) with 1 day CC and 1 sea day. The next sailing, #2 is Nov 10 (4 nights) with 2 days CC and 1 sea day. In total sailing B2B would give us 2 sea days + 3 CC days for a total of 7 nights.

We have done the pacific, eastern & western Caribbean. Our favorite spot to hang out is either satellite falls or Castaway Cay.

So here is what I have been thinking. We would book our flights to Orlando for Nov 6-14 knowing we would be cruising or going to the parks or a bit of both.

As soon as there is IGT or OGT for the #1 cruise (Nov 7 sailing) we would book it.

Today I discussed this with cast member who after speaking with a manger confirmed this could be done based on availability. I would visit the good folks on board who book future cruises on night 1 and book the #2 (Nov 10 sailing). We would get 10% discount and on board credit for doing this.

We know #2 would be dependent on availability, we know we wouldn't have the same stateroom or perhaps even the same category. We may not get the same dinning time but all of these unknowns is ok with us. If we don't get the #2 cruise we would have a backup plan for the Orlando area.

Here is the million dollar questions. Has anyone done this before? Do you save money doing this when you factor in the 10% discount, additional on board credit? What might we expect to spend on a last minute cabin with 3 nights notice? All of this would be in early November which is low season.

It might save you money, and it might not.

Currently the November 10 4-night cruise is 2,034.66 for three adults in 11B inside room. (I don't know how old your child is, but we can safely compare across categories as long as we use the same mix, so I chose a mix of three adults.)

IF prices don't go up, and IF the ship does not sell out, and IF the 11B category does not sell out, then you save 10% and get (I think) a $50 credit. So you save $203.46 plus $50 OBC, for a total of $253.46

On the other hand, if all the insides sell out, but prices remain the same, you now book a 9D for $2074.66. Actually, the lowest price outside would likely sell out in that scenario, so you probably book a 9C at 2,082.66. Your 10% discount at $50 credit would yield a $258.26 savings on a room that costs $49 more than the interior room that you could buy now but is sold out in the possible scenario I have created, so your net savings is $209, but you are in an outside room.

Obviously, as the less expensive categories sell out, you will be forced into a nicer room, meaning less of an actual dollar savings versus buying now, but a nicer room.

Of note, all of the above assumes that prices don't increase. If the ship sells a lot of rooms, prices could increase 10%, then your 10% off will net you nothing.

Should the ship sell out, you don't get the second cruise. As long as you don't mind being flexible, that is not a problem. If you are comfortable with switching to a land vacation, visiting parks, Kennedy Space Center, the beach, etc, then you can take the risk.

Good luck with your decision!

I think you now only get 10 percent off if the cruise you book on board is a seven nightwear or more. Just rebooked a four nightdress on board last week and only stateroom room credit was the offer.

I think you now only get 10 percent off if the cruise you book on board is a seven nightwear or more. Just rebooked a four nightdress on board last week and only stateroom room credit was the offer.

10% discount off the fare is valid for OBB regardless of cruise length.
Reduced deposit (10% instead of 20%) is only available for longer (7+ nights) cruises.
There are black-out dates, though I've heard conflicting reports as to whether no OBB benefits or just the OBC is given.

Possibly you booked a black-out date if you received no discount?

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter