• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will these old Minolta Lenses work on new digital SLRs?

Actually, it was the Nikon D5000 with two lenses for 850ish. You are good! :lmao:

But, the visit there let me get a visual, pick them up and play a few minutes anyway. This guy did not like Sonys-they only had an A330..and he did not even mention the Canons at all.

The problem with places like that are that the manufacturers often have kickbacks and/or promotions for the people selling the most of their products. That does not lead to honesty.

Exactly right...not that all stores do that, or even all the salesmen - but you certainly need to take a little grain of salt with any recommendations, especially if they seem to be ignoring other brands and just focusing on one. Canon and Nikon seem to most often get the harder sells from big box type stores and both do occasionally give kickbacks...not so often with the other manufacturers. But even Canon will suffer at the hands of Nikon's latest kickback or vice versa. Best to find a salesman who first asks you about your experience and needs before recommending a brand, and one who will not try to dismiss or put down other brands, but rather offer the features and reasons why he thinks a certain model might work best for your needs.

I'm always suspicious when I overhear a salesman pitching a particular camera brand to someone who just walked up to them, without even asking a single question about their experience, skill level, current bodies or lenses, or necessary features. Or anytime I hear a salesman put down another brand of camera at all...that makes me just walk away. Having been a salesman for 8 years, I am gracious and respectful of the position and the work required to make a living, but not very tolerant of that type of sales tactic.

And yes...I guess I'm endowed with the gift of garrulousness, and it migrated to the keyboard over the years...I'm about a 70wpm typist, which I guess is fairly quick - and as it happens, necessary to support my written monologues!

I'm back! I had some health issues and am now, hopefully, getting to the bottom of it and can focus on other things!

Anyway, again, I appreciate all your advice!! I am reading through it again and writing down everything to really look at all my options. My budget will be changing a bit next week and I am hoping to get a camera very soon thereafter. Do any of you have any new information for me about the cameras out there? I will start some internet searches again tomorrow and look over reviews etc. I have passed our local camera shop a couple of times the last few days and it is calling out to me....

Yeah, the world pretty much spun around and mixed things up since you last posted! There are some new cameras recently released or announced - Nikon trotted out the D3100 to replace the D3000 - and it's awfully close to the D5000 too. Canon brought out the 60D, but that's a step up in class from the Rebel line and might be above the price range you are looking in. Sony introduced no less than 4 new models, of which 3 are hitting the streets this month - two new translucent-mirror small 'SLT's (A33, A55) which are essentially DSLRs where the mirror doesn't need to move and using new electronic viewfinders...and the new A560 which is the replacement for the A550 - very similar, but with some nice feature upgrades including video, and a price starting on sale at $650. Pentax and Olympus may be around the corner with their new announcements too.

It'll be like starting from scratch again with all the new stuff to look at! Those 3 new Sonys will all be 100% compatible and functional with your Minolta lenses, if you decide to go that route.

I can honestly not make a recommendation right now. There have been a few announcements lately and there are even more to come due to the upcoming trade show next month. I suggest waiting about a month before you start deciding. The new announcements will also affect the price and availability of current models.

For Pentax, the K-x is supposed to remain around, but they are upgrading the K-7 and introducing an in between model at the $1k price point. It is supposed to have many new body and grip color combinations available. Custom ones would probably have to be ordered direct from the company for full retail price though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter