• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will these old Minolta Lenses work on new digital SLRs?

Dopey Rocks!

Mouseketeer
Hi Everyone!!

My husband and I have an old but good Minolta SLR. It has been getting more difficult to find film! So, we are in the market for a new digital camera and are wondering if these lenses will fit the new digital bodies.

Our camera is a Minolta Dynax 404si Maxxum STsi.

Our lenses are...(hopefully this is the info you all need to help me! If not, please let me know what you do need.)

AF 35-80
AF 70-210

We would love to know if these will work with any of the new digital cameras. And, if so, which bodies and brands are the best? What other lenses do you suggest to fill in gaps? And, finally, if these will not work, what suggestions do you have for a digital SLR?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance for any advice or direction you can give to me. I love this board and lurk quite often. I look forward to hearing from you!!:goodvibes

Hi Everyone!!

My husband and I have an old but good Minolta SLR. It has been getting more difficult to find film! So, we are in the market for a new digital camera and are wondering if these lenses will fit the new digital bodies.

Our camera is a Minolta Dynax 404si Maxxum STsi.

Our lenses are...(hopefully this is the info you all need to help me! If not, please let me know what you do need.)

AF 35-80
AF 70-210

We would love to know if these will work with any of the new digital cameras. And, if so, which bodies and brands are the best? What other lenses do you suggest to fill in gaps? And, finally, if these will not work, what suggestions do you have for a digital SLR?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance for any advice or direction you can give to me. I love this board and lurk quite often. I look forward to hearing from you!!:goodvibes

your lenses will work on Sony DSLRs.

Sony bought out Minolta and kept the Lens mount

Exactly right...any Maxxum Autofocus lens will mount on any Sony DSLR body. You've got plenty of choices - entry level slim-grip designs (A230, 330, 380), mid-level traditional designs (A500, 550), semi-pro (not manufactured currently as it is due for replacement, but still excellent A700, and can still be found around), and full-frame semi-pro to pro level (A850, A900). Lots of differences in designs, features, and size...so handle them and see which would work the best for what you need and would be comfortable with.

AF 35-80
AF 70-210

If these are the only lenses you have and they are just normal consumer grade lenses, I would leave other brands open. You will be able to completely replace them for just a little amount of money. For example, the two lens kit (18-55mm & 50-200mm) with the Pentax K-x is $594.95 at Adorama vs. $513.95 for the single lens kit. This is just an example (model I have :goodvibes) and most brands have similar deals.

If these are the only lenses you have and they are just normal consumer grade lenses, I would leave other brands open. You will be able to completely replace them for just a little amount of money. For example, the two lens kit (18-55mm & 50-200mm) with the Pentax K-x is $594.95 at Adorama vs. $513.95 for the single lens kit. This is just an example (model I have :goodvibes) and most brands have similar deals.

but why step down to pentax ???:rotfl2::rotfl2: Just kidding...

when that Purple Pentax hits the states I might have to switch brands..

your lenses will work on Sony DSLRs.

Sony bought out Minolta and kept the Lens mount

Exactly right...any Maxxum Autofocus lens will mount on any Sony DSLR body. You've got plenty of choices - entry level slim-grip designs (A230, 330, 380), mid-level traditional designs (A500, 550), semi-pro (not manufactured currently as it is due for replacement, but still excellent A700, and can still be found around), and full-frame semi-pro to pro level (A850, A900). Lots of differences in designs, features, and size...so handle them and see which would work the best for what you need and would be comfortable with.

Thank you SO much for your replies! I knew you all were the ones to ask. I finally found a compatibility chart online last night but it was unclear regarding some or all the Sony bodies. I hope to get to a store really soon to handle them myself.

Thank you for your reply....Yes, they are just normal lenses. I am not well versed in photography but hope to change that soon by going to a real class in the next few months. I have a 5 year old all and then some boy who is a blast! I want to do regular indoor/outdoor shots along with action, sports, fireworks, sunsets, animals etc. I am excited!

I have not researched cameras in a really long time so I will look into the other brands as you suggest. The quality and speed are the two most important things to me right now. My sister has a pretty serious Nikon that I need to talk to her about as well. Too much camera for me I have a feeling!

Thank you again!!

If any of you have other suggestions....I am listening!!

I have many old minolta lenses for my Sony DSLR. They are some of my favorite lenses and optically quite good. My actual favorite is my Minolta Maxxum 100mm f2.8 macro.

The quality and speed are the two most important things to me right now. My sister has a pretty serious Nikon that I need to talk to her about as well. Too much camera for me I have a feeling!

Thank you again!!

If any of you have other suggestions....I am listening!!

all major brands are good quality , it al depends on features you need and which is comfortable in your hands
and has control layouts that work best for you, the sonys are similar to your minolta in some of the control dials etc, I shot minolta for years with 2 9000 maxxums, then went to a minolta 7d for digital, and now have 2 sony a700s

check out all brands and see which feels best, whichever brand yu go with you will find people on this board that can help with any questions...

http://www.pentaximaging.com/slr/

I already have the red one. It seems to be the current most popular color on this board. If I was buying today I would be getting the blue one for UK! (GO CATS!!!) In Japan there are hundreds of different color combinations.

Ah! I am LOV-ING the blue! My son would flip for the purple or red one. But, I cannot buy based on color. :rolleyes1 THANK YOU for the link! I will read through it-TONS of info!!

I have many old minolta lenses for my Sony DSLR. They are some of my favorite lenses and optically quite good. My actual favorite is my Minolta Maxxum 100mm f2.8 macro.

Thank you SO much---VERY good to know! What type of camera do you have? And, why did you choose it?

all major brands are good quality , it al depends on features you need and which is comfortable in your hands
and has control layouts that work best for you, the sonys are similar to your minolta in some of the control dials etc, I shot minolta for years with 2 9000 maxxums, then went to a minolta 7d for digital, and now have 2 sony a700s

check out all brands and see which feels best, whichever brand yu go with you will find people on this board that can help with any questions...

YES!! Everyone on the DIS has been amazing...whether I have asked about flight info, traveling with a toddler, packing suggestions, scrapbooking ideas and so forth. I tell all my friends about this site but they just don't get it--I have a strong feeling they have not explored everything this board and everyone on it has to offer. If they had, they would be hooked like me! :surfweb:

One factor for us to really look at will be the memory cards. I have several SD/SDHC cards up to 16GB. It would be nice to continue to use those. And, battery life is huge to me as well!

Anyway, with all your encouragement, I am getting more excited and ready to go play at a store. We have a place here in town that is owned by an amazing photographer. His prices are retail though. UGH!

THANK YOU again to all of you for responding!

Anyway, with all your encouragement, I am getting more excited and ready to go play at a store. We have a place here in town that is owned by an amazing photographer. His prices are retail though. UGH!

Here is the thing on that situation. If you take up a bunch of his time having him show you the details of every model, explain things, etc. then you really should reward him with the sale. Don't forget that even at retail, you can try to negotiate a better price. If they just hand you the camera from the case and let you look it over on your own, then they did nothing to earn a sale so feel no guilt buying elsewhere.

Ah! I am LOV-ING the blue! My son would flip for the purple or red one. But, I cannot buy based on color. :rolleyes1 THANK YOU for the link! I will read through it-TONS of info!!

FWIW, the K-x is also an extremely capable camera and probably the best bang for the buck in the entry level right now.

One factor for us to really look at will be the memory cards. I have several SD/SDHC cards up to 16GB. It would be nice to continue to use those. And, battery life is huge to me as well!

That shouldn't be a problem, as most of the DSLRs nowadays are using SD cards except for a few of the high-end ones that still use CF. SD seems to be taking over though. You're OK with most Sony models (A230, 330, 380, 500, and 550), all current Pentax models, and most entry-level Canon and Nikon models as far as SD card compatibility.

On battery, Sony and Pentax are the real kings of all beasts there...both will easily double the battery life of the other makers' entry and most midrange models. Pentax uses AA batteries, so you can use rechargeable or lithium, and can go as long as 1,000 shots on lithiums or around 640 on rechargeables. Sony's cams use a big rechargeable Lithium Ion battery pack that in the A500 & 550 is good for 950 shots...and has a nice side perk of displaying your minutes remaining on the battery on your LCD screen (most cameras use a little 4-bar graph). Most other competitors' battery life is more like 440-600 shots.

No worries about brands...they're all good. Obviously you have at least one reason to consider Sony, since you do have a few basic lenses to add to the kit. Very important is to handle the cameras - see which are comfortable for you. There are very different grip designs, button layouts, and sizes out there, and some just won't feel comfortable to you. Some folks like lighter cameras, some like heavier, some like big deep grips, some like shallow...you have to see what works best for you.

Whatever you do, don't get caught up in someone else's promotion of their brand to the detriment of all others. There are far too many folks whose views are too easily influenced by what others tell them to get, and they don't give themselves the opportunity to find the truly best camera for them. Keep the name brands out of the equation, and weigh features, prices, designs, and image quality. They're all going to be pretty close - so close as to almost not matter - in image quality...so many times ergonomics, features, or price become the deciding factors. Always feel free to ask here for help, and to check out the cameras yourself.

Believe me, if everyone only bought what they were told to buy by the majority, 75% of us would have Canons, and 25% of us Nikons, and the rest of the brands wouldn't exist. But many people buy those cameras only to discover they didn't make the best choice for THEIR needs. You may find that the Canons are simply perfect for you in every way. Or it may be a Nikon. Or maybe the Sony hits on all counts. Or the Pentax is perfect. Don't short yourself - keep your mind open and see what hits you.

BTW - I have a Sony DSLR-A550, and love it, plus 6 lenses from Minolta, Sony, Sigma, and Tamron. I bought based on what had the design and ergonomics I liked, and the features I needed. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat to someone who asks...as long as they are comfortable with it and it has the features they want or need...otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to steer them to one of the other fine choices out there!

That shouldn't be a problem, as most of the DSLRs nowadays are using SD cards except for a few of the high-end ones that still use CF. SD seems to be taking over though. You're OK with most Sony models (A230, 330, 380, 500, and 550), all current Pentax models, and most entry-level Canon and Nikon models as far as SD card compatibility.

On battery, Sony and Pentax are the real kings of all beasts there...both will easily double the battery life of the other makers' entry and most midrange models. Pentax uses AA batteries, so you can use rechargeable or lithium, and can go as long as 1,000 shots on lithiums or around 640 on rechargeables. Sony's cams use a big rechargeable Lithium Ion battery pack that in the A500 & 550 is good for 950 shots...and has a nice side perk of displaying your minutes remaining on the battery on your LCD screen (most cameras use a little 4-bar graph). Most other competitors' battery life is more like 440-600 shots.

No worries about brands...they're all good. Obviously you have at least one reason to consider Sony, since you do have a few basic lenses to add to the kit. Very important is to handle the cameras - see which are comfortable for you. There are very different grip designs, button layouts, and sizes out there, and some just won't feel comfortable to you. Some folks like lighter cameras, some like heavier, some like big deep grips, some like shallow...you have to see what works best for you.

Whatever you do, don't get caught up in someone else's promotion of their brand to the detriment of all others. There are far too many folks whose views are too easily influenced by what others tell them to get, and they don't give themselves the opportunity to find the truly best camera for them. Keep the name brands out of the equation, and weigh features, prices, designs, and image quality. They're all going to be pretty close - so close as to almost not matter - in image quality...so many times ergonomics, features, or price become the deciding factors. Always feel free to ask here for help, and to check out the cameras yourself.

Believe me, if everyone only bought what they were told to buy by the majority, 75% of us would have Canons, and 25% of us Nikons, and the rest of the brands wouldn't exist. But many people buy those cameras only to discover they didn't make the best choice for THEIR needs. You may find that the Canons are simply perfect for you in every way. Or it may be a Nikon. Or maybe the Sony hits on all counts. Or the Pentax is perfect. Don't short yourself - keep your mind open and see what hits you.

BTW - I have a Sony DSLR-A550, and love it, plus 6 lenses from Minolta, Sony, Sigma, and Tamron. I bought based on what had the design and ergonomics I liked, and the features I needed. I'd recommend it in a heartbeat to someone who asks...as long as they are comfortable with it and it has the features they want or need...otherwise I wouldn't hesitate to steer them to one of the other fine choices out there!

WOW! Thank you so very much for your amazing input! Thankfully, I am an independent thinker and LOVE to do research. However, if possible, I like to have a starting point...all of you have suggested great cameras to begin my search. It gives me a launching pad and I am excited to see where we land. Somewhere under 750 would be great for our current budget. However, we are always willing to wait and save if that means a better product that will last for years.

It is good to know about the image quality! The ergonomics will be interesting because I have small hands-my husband, not so much. But, we compromise really well.

I am surprised that Canon is the big dog. I assumed it was Nikon. I have a Canon Powershot and it drives me NUTS! I had not even considered them. Now I will be a bit more open minded regarding their product.

We are going to be close to a Best Buy today. I will try to pop in and handle a few of their cameras. That will give me a beginning idea of how they feel to us.

And, as always....THANK YOU for choosing to give me your time and advice!!! :goodvibes

My DW and I had the same problem with hands. The first solution (and least costly) was the battery grip. She used the camera without and I with. That lasted a short time, because of the on and off. Unfortunately,that solution gave me the photography disease and $4,000 later we each have our own DSLR kit!!:rotfl2:

WOW! Thank you so very much for your amazing input!

Justin must be the quickest typist on the Disboards! Day in, day out he puts out this much information in the time it takes me to respond "Hi".

We are going to be close to a Best Buy today. I will try to pop in and handle a few of their cameras. That will give me a beginning idea of how they feel to us.

Do yourself a favor and go to a real camera store. Also, ignore any of the garbage that comes out of the BB salesman's mouth. If you were to believe them, you would come home with something like a Rebel XS or Nikon D3000 thinking it is the same thing that the professionals use. Nothing against those cameras at all. I am just making a point that the BB people are salesmen ONLY, not people with actual knowledge. If they were, they would not be working at BB!!!!

Justin must be the quickest typist on the Disboards! Day in, day out he puts out this much information in the time it takes me to respond "Hi".

Do yourself a favor and go to a real camera store. Also, ignore any of the garbage that comes out of the BB salesman's mouth. If you were to believe them, you would come home with something like a Rebel XS or Nikon D3000 thinking it is the same thing that the professionals use. Nothing against those cameras at all. I am just making a point that the BB people are salesmen ONLY, not people with actual knowledge. If they were, they would not be working at BB!!!!

Actually, it was the Nikon D5000 with two lenses for 850ish. You are good! :lmao:

But, the visit there let me get a visual, pick them up and play a few minutes anyway. This guy did not like Sonys-they only had an A330..and he did not even mention the Canons at all.

It will take us a while to decide what we want. We are not in a hurry. My powershot is still working at the moment with only intermittent lens trouble. I know it is only a matter of time so we want to be prepared when that time comes.

I hope to go see our local guy within the next few days.

Thanks again! (And, no kidding about Justin--you guys are great!)

My DW and I had the same problem with hands. The first solution (and least costly) was the battery grip. She used the camera without and I with. That lasted a short time, because of the on and off. Unfortunately,that solution gave me the photography disease and $4,000 later we each have our own DSLR kit!!:rotfl2:

Oh, Geez....don't even go there! Thank goodness we do not have any money right now--we could go nuts. Lack of knowledge and funds both keep us in check. But...you never know what the future holds!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter