Will there be rides for my 1.5 year old daughter?

alicat07

Mouseketeer
I just checked the Disney site, my daughter will be 20 months when we go for her first trip. I am assuming she can do rides like "its a small world" and all, but what about the ones like dumbo and pirates of the caribbean with the small drop? I did a seach for 32" and taller, but I am not sure if she will be tall enough at that time. She is about 30" now, and our trip is in about 6 months.

Thanks!!!

I think anything with a height restriction is 40" and over, except possibly for Goofy's Barnstormer, which I'm thinking is 36". Dumbo should be absolutely fine, and POC isn't much of a drop, but some toddlers might find it frightening. I would probably be much more worried about the fright factor of many things it's physically safe for her to ride (with an adult, of course).

my daughter was 15 months when she went on her first Disney trip. we just got back on Saturday. She rode the Flight of Peter Pan ( she hated it.. it was too dark for her), it's a small world ( by far her favorite ride. she was pointing at everything and clapping!), Winnie the Pooh ( too fast for her. by the time she saw something she wanted to look at, it went past her.) and she did a lot of the shows at Hollywood Studios. She liked those the best. The Voyage of the Little Mermaid was her favorite. Beauty and the Beast came in second. She didn't ride Pirates only because she was napping at that time and we didn't want to wake her up. We were going to do baby swap but we couldn't because it's an " everyone can ride " ride. She didn't ride Dumbo either as it had poured that day and everything was wet. We didn't go to EP or AK. This was just a short trip to visit a friend of mine who moved to FL in January. He happens to be a CM so we were able to enjoy some of his perks.

TY so much for that info! That is great, I tried checking Disney's site but it didn't give me the most specific info. WDW was much better!

I am considering the fright factor as well. I've never taken her to a theme park before, so I'm not even sure how she'd handle the characters. We have 8 adults going, so it won't be too much of an issue if she can't go on, since both of her grandmas are going, so they may not want to ride all the rides anyway and will love to watch her. I was just hoping to take her on some of them. :)

Thank you very much!!! I appreciate the answers!

my daughter was 15 months when she went on her first Disney trip. we just got back on Saturday. She rode the Flight of Peter Pan ( she hated it.. it was too dark for her), it's a small world ( by far her favorite ride. she was pointing at everything and clapping!), Winnie the Pooh ( too fast for her. by the time she saw something she wanted to look at, it went past her.) and she did a lot of the shows at Hollywood Studios. She liked those the best. The Voyage of the Little Mermaid was her favorite. Beauty and the Beast came in second. She didn't ride Pirates only because she was napping at that time and we didn't want to wake her up. We were going to do baby swap but we couldn't because it's an " everyone can ride " ride. She didn't ride Dumbo either as it had poured that day and everything was wet. We didn't go to EP or AK. This was just a short trip to visit a friend of mine who moved to FL in January. He happens to be a CM so we were able to enjoy some of his perks.

WOW! Thank you so much for telling me about ur experience! Gives me more of an idea of what to expect! I really appreciate it!

She can go on anything without a height requirement. At MK this is most rides. At the other parks, there are only a few rides she can go on.

You should also learn about child swap. This way, everyone can ride. Basically, you tell the CM at the ride entrance you want to do child swap. They'll give you a child swap pass. Then, everyone goes to ride, while 1 person watches the baby. After they get off the ride, the person who watched the baby takes the pass to the CM, and they can use the fastpass line (if there is one, or just goes to the front of the line if there is no fastpass line). This pass is good for 3 people, so the person who watched baby doesn't have to ride alone (so 2 people get to ride twice).

you're welcome! if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

i also wanted to mention that if you have other adults that want to ride the rides like BMTRR or ToT we found it easier to do those when DD was sleeping in the stroller. It was harder to occupy her for the hour or so when she was awake. While she was sleeping, I'd go get a Dole Whip or a Turkey Leg and find a shaded spot and hang out for a bit. I'm 24 months pregnant right now so I couldn't really ride anything either. Also, the Voyage of the Little Mermaid has a great gift shop that has really good merchendise "kid level" which DD firmly planted her hands on. Just thought I would let you know about that one. :rotfl2:

I took my daughter last year when she was 18 months. She rode pretty much everything that didn't have a height restriction! Nothing scared her except its tough to be a bug. Too many effects and loud noises. She slept through Haunted Mansion and slept through Lights, Motor, Action! She had the BEST time though. You know your child best so if she is scared of the dark, then most rides are out in Fantasy Land and so is PotC.

I just got back from Disney with my 18 month old. We only did Magic Kingdom.

Rides he loved: Small World, Dumbo, Pooh, Magic Carpets, Bear Jamboree, Buzz Lightyear.

Rides he liked/tolerated: Haunted Mansion, Peoplemover, WDW railroad.

Rides he hated: Cinderella's Carousel (go figure)

We also went to Downtown Disney and rode a small train and carousel that he loved. You have to buy tokens which are $2 but these were great for toddlers.

I just got back from Disney with my 18 month old. We only did Magic Kingdom.

Rides he loved: Small World, Dumbo, Pooh, Magic Carpets, Bear Jamboree, Buzz Lightyear.

Rides he liked/tolerated: Haunted Mansion, Peoplemover, WDW railroad.

Rides he hated: Cinderella's Carousel (go figure)

We also went to Downtown Disney and rode a small train and carousel that he loved. You have to buy tokens which are $2 but these were great for toddlers.

He hated the carousel at MK, but loved the one at DTD?

I guess he hates the name change to Prince Charming's Regal Carousel also! :lmao:

we took younger DS when he was 19mths old. He loved every ride and napped a lot so we were able to do lots of baby swaps on the bigger rides w/o him having to be bored waiting around.

DS is very adventurous though and now that's he's past the 40" height he loves the thrill rides. LOL

it was hard to keep him cool though with him in the stroller napping and it was hard to keep him contained when the crowds were thick and he was determined to get out and walk. Some might not agree but we used a toddler harness w/ good success and it kept him very safe. The one we used covered very little of his body and was able to be left on even when we weren't using it and he was napping or eating.

we did make sure to bring one of his loveys with us to the parks. It's a small blanket so it did double duty as a shade at times. Helped keep melt downs to a minimum.

His favorite ride was the peoplemover. Great ride to get on when they are tired and needing to nap.

He hated the carousel at MK, but loved the one at DTD?

I guess he hates the name change to Prince Charming's Regal Carousel also! :lmao:

Makes a lot of sense, huh? I neglected to say that we rode a stationary horse at Downtown Disney which was probably the difference. Also, at the MK carousel there seemed to be a mad dash when they opened the gates with people running to the horses which scared him.

We went to DL last fall with our daughter, who was 11 months at the time, and there wasn't one ride that scared her. Well, she did lean back against me on PotC at the fort battle scene, but that was about it. She pointed and oooohed and clapped for most of the other rides. She just loved the music and shook her little fists (which is her way of dancing) in glee. She especially loved Winnie the Pooh, the Tiki Room, the Nemo subs and, oddly enough, the Haunted Mansion. There's just so much to see! We did cover her ears when we knew extra loud parts were coming, like in the stretching room of HM. Other that that, she did great! We had such a wonderful time. We can't wait to take her to WDW next year when she's 3!

We took our daughter this past January when she was 15 months and she loved it! Unfortunately the weather was terrible so she didn't get out of her stroller much outdoors :( We also took her on everything we could at MK, Epcot, and MGM (HS). AK was tricky because DH and I were there alone (my parents came with us but my mom was sick that day) so we had to do the baby swap for Expedition Everest. She loved the safari ride and the petting zoo!

We're taking her again in August at 22 months and can't wait! I know it's going to be really hot but considering how COLD it was in January I'm almost looking forward to the heat :) DD is definitely a child who loves playing outside and the heat doesn't seem to bother her much - we'll definitely make use of the water mists and our pool at POR!

Have fun! It's great to have extra hands - we definitely appreciate going with my parents so DH and I can have a break from pushing the stroller or chasing after DD once in a while :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter