Will the Wonder disappoint after being on the other three ships?

We were just on the Wonder for the PC. IT was first time we'd been on a classic ship since 2010. Although we love the new ships, we were not at all dissapointed by the Wonder. And I love love love Outlook Cafe.
We love the Wonder. After more than 17 DCL cruises, DH is still shy of deep water and stays away from the rails
On our last Wonder Alaska cruise he spent the entire day when we were cruising Tracy Arm, in the
Outlook Café. We are sailing on the Wonder for the EBPC this October an I am sure he will spend a
lot of time in the Outlook Café. Booked an HC 9A, since he doesn't go out on the balcony much anymore.
I will be roaming the ship and checking on him occasionally. After 38 years of marriage
its called compromise . Love DCL.

This discussion reminds me of the WDW fans who refuse to visit Disneyland because it's older and smaller. No one is forcing them to try something new and different, but they won't know what they're missing til they give it a try.

Haha, I prefer DLR as well as the Wonder.. maybe you are spot on with me! :D Much like with the bigger ships I go to WDW for the pluses that just don't exist in DLR, but she will always have my heart and majority of my vacation time!

I've been on the Wonder 4 times, Dream 2x, and the Fantasy 1. Here is my perspective. I do think our room looked a bit more run down the last time we were on the Wonder (2013 Alaska). And it is due for a major dry dock....that being said, I still say the Wonder is my favorite ship. Perhaps it is because it was our first ship. I like the feel of the smaller ships to the large ones and my kids love the water activities but in all honesty, the pools on the larger ships were pretty much useless to us as they were a sea of kids. We only do the Aqua Duck a handful of times on the ships so don't really miss it I guess.

They did a mini dock if you will on the Wonder in Jan 2014; redid the bedding and some more small things. She didn't seem that run down to us, but I never sailed her before they did that, only after.

We will be sailing on the Wonder for the first time in March 2016. We have been on the Dream three times, so we have the same concerns as the original post. The Dream has always felt overcrowded.

Hi,

In my opinion, I find the Wonder not to be crowded even with the smaller lobby atrium than the Dream and the Fantasy. I do not think you will feel overcrowded on the Wonder, there are only about 2,000 paying passengers on board versus the Dream and the Fantasy which is about 4,000 passengers. Have a great time on your cruise in 2016.

Hi,

In my opinion, I find the Wonder not to be crowded even with the smaller lobby atrium than the Dream and the Fantasy. I do not think you will feel overcrowded on the Wonder, there are only about 2,000 paying passengers on board versus the Dream and the Fantasy which is about 4,000 passengers. Have a great time on your cruise in 2016.

2500 max occupancy for wonder
4000 max for dream/fantasy
dream / fantasy 40% larger

When cruising on the Fantasy over Christmas last year; we finally have been on all four Disney ships. And while we loved the Dream and Fantasy; we would have NO PROBLEMS going back to the Wonder. The last time we were on her was when we did the west bound Panama Canal cruise in 2011. But I must add, the last time we were on the Magic was before the big make-over. So I really REALLY want to sail on her in the near future. As a previous poster wrote, DCL is constantly cleaning and painting and up-keeping their ships.

I've only cruised on the classic ships and only on the Magic last year (14 nights). I liked some of the new things on the Magic like the Aqua Dunk and the Twist n Spout. I still love the Wonder more. Maybe it's because it was the first ship I cruised on. Will be back on her in a few more months.

2500 max occupancy for wonder
4000 max for dream/fantasy
dream / fantasy 40% larger

An interesting point here is that the 40% larger is volume: it includes decks of staterooms. Perhaps a more accurate understanding of actual space for passengers would be a square footage comparison. For example, the square footage of the pool deck on the Magic vs the Fantasy.

I don't have those exact numbers, but I can give a rough estimate by multiplying the maximum length and width of each ship. That will not be at all an accurate number for each ship, as they are not shaped as rectangles. However, it should give a reasonable comparison between the two. I suspect the Fantasy will benefit in the comparison, as its longer size results in a greater taper; that is, the calculations for the Fantasy will likely overestimate its square footage on the pool deck more than the calculation for the Magic.

So, I get 104,304 sq feet for the Magic and about 139,375 sq feet for the Fantasy. An increase of 35,000 square feet over the Magic's 104,000 sq feet, or a 33% increase in floor space. Meanwhile, passengers have increased from 2500 to 4000, or a 60% increase.

It doesn't matter how many extra decks there are when everyone is on the top deck or everyone is in the atrium. A 60% increase in the number of passengers with a 33% increase in floor space is likely going to feel crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter