Will the new administration cancel American cruises for 2021?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The News Media reports the facts. The Electoral College does in fact elect a President and based on the Electors that are legally bound to vote a certain way the outcome is known.

Unfortunately, most of our news media today reports opinions. I wish there was a "facts only" news source, it would be much easier to navigate ourselves through these crazy times.

I hope you're wrong about the vaccines after all they have scientists developing those also.

I hope so too and I'm hoping that the rhetoric was simply campaigning. Unfortunately, it was a dangerous position to take when the percentage of those people that trusted a vaccine was already terribly low.

Unfortunately, most of our news media today reports opinions. I wish there was a "facts only" news source, it would be much easier to navigate ourselves through these crazy times.
I certainly can't defend everyone. My challenge as a 45 year member of the news media is getting people to understand the source they are quoting and believing is not a legitimate part of the news media. It is a bit easier with the electoral college since the legally committed numbers are easy to access.

Imagine if we had just listened to science 7 months ago!

Pretty sure we've been following the guidance of the task force since it was put into effect in January, which takes into account Scientists, CDC, etc.

Again, don't forget that Europe went through mass lockdowns and mask mandates and they're having record case spikes every other day.

This is likely to continue for many more months until we have a vaccine and/or therapeutic readily available.

I certainly can't defend everyone. My challenge as a 45 year member of the news media is getting people to understand the source they are quoting and believing is not a legitimate part of the news media. It is a bit easier with the electoral college since the legally committed numbers are easy to access.

Certainly, please understand I wasn't speaking in absolutes which is why I didn't suggest "all". The news media, like any business, needs to make money and if things are boring, no one clicks. That's the world we live in.

Without OpEds, I can't imagine a news outlet being profitable.

OP here. I was hoping we could keep this thread civil so a moderator doesn't lock it. Just looking for opinions on my original question. Thanks

I think it's been fairly civil but I understand your point. I don't think the administration will be able to cancel anything without CDC guidance -- that's where we are.

It took months/years for the Trump Administration to get their nominees in place, I don't imagine it's going to look too different now unless the shape of things change in the next couple of months. And an incoming Administration, as stated, defers more power to the CDC as it takes time to get their nominees confirmed.

The CDC will likely be running the show and I would guess they are going to err on the side of caution. Couple that with the fact the it's "cheaper" for the cruise lines to remain shutdown rather than put a bunch of things in place (per CDC) only to have to shut down again and I think we can guess where that (unfortunately) leaves us.

Imagine if we had just listened to science 7 months ago!

Many people don’t care like we see. If you care and do the right thing you will be ok as long as everyone in your house cares. You have one person in your household that doesn’t care and gets covid than the whole household will get covid. I had to get a covid test done today because of a procedure I’m getting done on Tuesday. I have no doubt that it will be negative because my wife and I do the right thing. We need everyone to do it. Of course that will never happen. People just don’t care.
We do lots of things also we don’t stay at hone. We like to help other people out. Go out to eat 1-2 times a week. Went to Disney Hilton head in September. Going to wdw/universal beginning of December. Going to wdw end of January. You will be safe if you care and do the right thing. No matter how many times I say it there are lots of people who it doesn’t sink in for them.

Last edited:
Many people don’t care like we see. If you care and do the right thing you will be ok as long as everyone in your house cares. You have one person in your household that doesn’t care and gets covid than the whole household will get covid. I had to get a covid test done today because of a procedure I’m getting done on Tuesday. I have no doubt that it will be negative because my wife and I do the right thing. We need everyone to do it. Of course that will never happen. People just don’t care.

Exactly this, people don't care. Certain gatherings are okay, some aren't. We cannot have that sort of inconsistency because it sends the wrong message. Some people will look at that and think it's all a hoax or a joke and they won't listen to the guidance -- this is why we get the spikes.

Couple that with the fact that this has taken so long, and people are getting fatigue, making it even worse.

That said, just because one person in the household gets Covid, doesn't mean everyone will. In fact, it's pretty common for an entire household *not* to be infected just because one member gets it.

Also, and more importantly, best of luck with your procedure on Tuesday!

Exactly this, people don't care. Certain gatherings are okay, some aren't. We cannot have that sort of inconsistency because it sends the wrong message. Some people will look at that and think it's all a hoax or a joke and they won't listen to the guidance -- this is why we get the spikes.

Couple that with the fact that this has taken so long, and people are getting fatigue, making it even worse.

That said, just because one person in the household gets Covid, doesn't mean everyone will. In fact, it's pretty common for an entire household *not* to be infected just because one member gets it.

Also, and more importantly, best of luck with your procedure on Tuesday!

I seen this before . One thing I don’t understand if the virus spread so easily why doesn’t everyone in the house get it? They are not wearing a mask inside the house. Well I’m sure 99.999 percent of us are not.

I seen this before . One thing I don’t understand if the virus spread so easily why doesn’t everyone in the house get it? They are not wearing a mask inside the house. Well I’m sure 99.999 percent of us are not.

I have to think there are just multiple strains of this thing at this point and that's why we are seeing this. I have first hand seen this happen in (3) different households with family members. In consultation with both my personal physician and my pediatrician they have also noted that just because one person gets it in a household doesn't mean everyone will.

Maybe some strains are more contagious? While we are still learning more and more about this virus, there is still so much we really don't know.

I don’t think they’ll cancel. They’re going to try and get the virus removed so we can get back to normal

Factual Media - if you're not happy with the variety of media in the American news, you could try foreign news sources. They tend to be less inflamatory as they don't have as much at stake. BBC news, CBC news, for example. I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately (and bizzarely) media is not required to be widely held (stock-wise), so they take their directions from their bosses. But it is possible to collect a variety of opinions and use them to determine your own conclusions. I guess that makes it a good system. No one is being "told" what to believe any more than they are being told what to watch or read.

As for the original question, in Canada, the PM simply said the harbours were closed to cruises. Could any of the politicians in the U.S. do the same? Maybe it's more a governor level than a federal level, but is that power available to an elected leader or only to the CDC?

Factual Media - if you're not happy with the variety of media in the American news, you could try foreign news sources. They tend to be less inflamatory as they don't have as much at stake. BBC news, CBC news, for example. I'm sure there are others. Unfortunately (and bizzarely) media is not required to be widely held (stock-wise), so they take their directions from their bosses. But it is possible to collect a variety of opinions and use them to determine your own conclusions. I guess that makes it a good system. No one is being "told" what to believe any more than they are being told what to watch or read.

As for the original question, in Canada, the PM simply said the harbours were closed to cruises. Could any of the politicians in the U.S. do the same? Maybe it's more a governor level than a federal level, but is that power available to an elected leader or only to the CDC?

I think that in the US it would be up to the Port Authority to determine that.

Also, I do watch Foreign news sources as well, and it really is quite interesting the differences not just in terms of virus coverage, but in general.

I don’t think they’ll cancel. They’re going to try and get the virus removed so we can get back to normal

Yes, I think the goal with any administration, globally, is to eradicate the virus. The problem, unfortunately, is that a virus is going to virus.

I just don't see anything really changing until we have a Vaccine and/or Therapeutic for this. My suspicion is that this is going to be just like another Flu from a vaccination sense where one will be required annually as a "booster" for various strains of Covid. Of course, there is also the potential that this will evolve and mutant its way out of contagion, which could also happen, and I pray for that daily. It's just more of a long shot.

Also, I do watch Foreign news sources as well, and it really is quite interesting the differences not just in terms of virus coverage, but in general.
Well, I think that's probably the best answer to the OP's question then.

In the U.S., "port authorities" (note plural) are largely local -- but that may be within a single city or state or involving multiple states in a region. Yes, the Port Authority has authorization to close any port(s) within their jurisdiction. But they cannot supercede a national order, such as the CDC or other federal bureau. It becomes an alphabet-soup of inter-related agencies that could potentially close one or all U.S. ports of entry depending on the reason(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter