Will the muster drill process ever change?

It depends on their contract. I was friends with a Princess and also a dancer in shows including Sail-a-Wave.
The Cast are definitely involved in drill

YES. I’ve had to have cast dismissed earlier just so they could quickly run and get ready to perform

Ohhh, now I’m realizing that when we go to muster drill on embarkation day, I can look around at the CMs and try to identify the princesses and other performers that I might visit with later! :cutie: DH and I are so rule-compliant that we’ll probably get to our station early, and I’ll need something to occupy my time while we wait for everyone else.

During Virtual Muster nothing was supposed to be open at all as mandated by the US Coast Guard.
That is interesting. When I was on Celebrity this past summer, we had the virtual drill. The bars in the areas that double as muster stations were closed, but other bars like on the pool deck and the sunset bar were definitely open pretty much from the time boarding started. I wonder how they get away with it - or if they're just willing to take the hit at inspections since with the push to have a beverage package there would be a riot if they were closed. (There was enough of an uproar when the Grand Cayman tax thing started and only one bar was open while the ship is anchored there.)

edit for clarification: I'm not saying it's not the case at all. I'm just musing that other lines do have bars open and wondering if they just decided to take whatever penalty the Coast Guard levies on them or if they got some kind of special dispensation as long as the bars in the areas of the muster stations remain closed.

Last edited:
I was looking up what the coast guard's rules are, and came across this article:

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-ship-muster-drill-changes-2023/

In the article it quotes Royal:
Greg Prudy, vice president: “We’re always open to change,” he said, “but we’re not so open to going backward. So we will always look for moving forward and doing things if they’re better… for our guests and our crew.”

He added that they were seeing a higher percentage of compliance with the new format than they’d had with traditional mustering.

And Carnival:
Our implementation has also received very positive feedback from the U.S. Coast Guard and other safety experts, as well as generated positive comments for effectiveness from our guests during our post-cruise survey results,” Chiamis says. As a result, “We will continue to utilize our e-mustering process while always looking for ways to improve its effectiveness.”

The article also says that when Norwegian went back to traditional, it 'coincided' with cutting back their entertainment crew, but claiming safety was the issue.

IF we go by that this is indeed about safety and compliance, what do Royal and Carnival do different?

The article also says that when Norwegian went back to traditional, it 'coincided' with cutting back their entertainment crew, but claiming safety was the issue.

IF we go by that this is indeed about safety and compliance, what do Royal and Carnival do different?
NCL is doing virtual so that is currently not correct and you have to watch the video in order to complete on-line check in and again in your cabin to clear the TV. Not sure when that changed again and they still have limited entertainment.

I was looking up what the coast guard's rules are, and came across this article:

https://cruiseradio.net/cruise-ship-muster-drill-changes-2023/

In the article it quotes Royal:
Greg Prudy, vice president: “We’re always open to change,” he said, “but we’re not so open to going backward. So we will always look for moving forward and doing things if they’re better… for our guests and our crew.”

He added that they were seeing a higher percentage of compliance with the new format than they’d had with traditional mustering.

And Carnival:
Our implementation has also received very positive feedback from the U.S. Coast Guard and other safety experts, as well as generated positive comments for effectiveness from our guests during our post-cruise survey results,” Chiamis says. As a result, “We will continue to utilize our e-mustering process while always looking for ways to improve its effectiveness.”

This is some of what I posted earlier,
"It was unofficially reported the the main reason Disney went back to the old style drills was because of lack of sufficient participation on the part of the guest."

Of course this is all speculation because as far as I know Disney has never officially said why they went back to the old muster drill.

So according to the article above, it sounds like Royal and Carnivals guest are doing what is expected of them to comply with the rules to allow them to keep doing the virtual muster drill.

This is some of what I posted earlier,
"It was unofficially reported the the main reason Disney went back to the old style drills was because of lack of sufficient participation on the part of the guest."
I wonder if that could be due to the number of children, which is normally higher on a DCL cruise, or the number of 1st time cruisers.

I wonder if that could be due to the number of children, which is normally higher on a DCL cruise, or the number of 1st time cruisers.
2 things we do not know for sure, Royal aims at families as well. We do not knw where there are more kids on board or more 1st time cruisers.

Carnival doesn't aim at families, but with the party vibe on board... that doesn't really sync with a rule following crowd.

Anyone here who cruises both DCL, royal and/or Carnival who can tell if there is a different approach in how they communicate the e-drill to their passengers? Or procedure? (In case of Disney how they used to)

Last edited:
We sailed RCL in Alaska and Carnival out of Galveston in 2023. Both had us go to the muster station right away.

Carnival demonstrates putting on the life vest continuously via live demo. They swiped our cards and then we watched. I felt they would’ve said something had you tried to skip the demo.

On RCL we sailed Star class so may not be standard. They swiped our cards at the muster but I seem to recall watching the life vest as a video in the room. They had us say who all watched it? This was in June so memory is fuzzy.

Both lines were efficient. I found I got more out of both than on Disney.

Any line I gather up our kiddos in the room and show on back of door which way to our muster, left or right and which floor. I then quiz them to ensure it stuck. When we’re on the floor again we point out the muster point as well.

As mentioned in earlier post the crowd up and attempt to see / hear is rough to me. I also don‘t enjoy being packed together with folks sneezing and coughing but I’m a germophobe by nature.

I have no problem at all about how Disney does their muster drill. I would rather be inconvenienced for a few moments of my life than others and myself not knowing what to do during the unlikely event that there was an emergency that could cost the life of myself or others. I know it gets packed in these muster drills, but the next several days on a Disney cruise ship is not likely going to be an experience of isolation. That's just me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter