Will the ESPN 5K be back in 2011?

I have only just begun investigating Disney 5K's. I'd like to do the Everest Challenge, but it will probably be my dauther's recital weekend. Can anyone tell me about the ESPN 5K? I know we're not sure of dates yet, but where does the route go, any special features, etc.? What makes it fun??

The EPSN 5K, in the past, has run through Hollywood Studios. What sets this one apart is the whole sports theme of it. They have a guest celebrity that runs the race with you and they have sports themed trivia questions throughout the course. They also have professional cheerleaders that line the the route as you near the finisher's line to cheer you on. This one is a timed 5K unlike the family fun runs.

The medal for this one is real bling and not made of rubber.

Here are the pictures I took from the race in 2009: http://disneyrunning.com/09espn5kphotokr.html

Our celebrity for that year was Misty May Traner (sp?). She was still nursing her achilles injury from Dancing with the Stars so she walked the race and was at the back of the pack.

Super pictures. Is there one of the medal? That looks like such a cool race. Any idea of when they will announce the dates on this?

Does this race start in waves or just one start?

We are doing the mickey family 5k on our vaca this Oct but I would love to suprise the hubby with a mini trip to do this race for his bday.

I found this picture linked elsewhere on disboards:
204.jpg

Originally posted by suzannews
That is the 2009 medal. For the 2010 medal it was the same medal itself but they improved the quality of the ribbon. You also get a tech shirt with this one. In 2009 it was just white cotton, but last year they changed to a tech shirt.

The field has not been large enough yet to need a corral start.

I have no new news on dates.

Thanks so much. It's a nice looking medal with the mickey head on it. I hope they have it next year. My husbands bday is the end of Feb so anytime around there I could get away with calling it a bday present lol

Spoke with the rep at the Disney booth at the Disneyland Half. They are still planning to do the ESPN 5K, but still haven't finalized on the date. She did say if I was really serious that they are currently leaning towards it being held the week after Princess.

Any idea of what kind of hotel/ticket discounts there have been with this run? My husband is interested and we've never been to Disney for a group event. Don't know if I need to go ahead and make hotel reservations since the dates are getting close to Spring Break mania.
Thanks for the help - this would be my husband's first run! I hope he gets to do it!

just bumping to see if anyones heard anymore news on this race. Not much info on the official site so wondering if anyone knows anything more??

No registration open yet on rundisney web site, but definitely has the date set as March 5, 2011. They know what they need to do, hope they can get the info out soon to the folks planning ahead.

Did anyone besides me notice that the hours for Hollywood Studios the morning of the race has EMH from 8am to 9am? Very odd. How is that going to work? The 5K will be in the morning, right? :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter