Will the cruise make me miss the parks?

labdogs42

DIS Veteran
I'm thinking about doing a Disney Cruise in Dec, 2010. Looking at the 4 or 7 day. Consideruing doign the 4 day, then hitting Sea World when we return and not doing the Disney parks. I have always wanted to go to Sea World, but we never seem to want to miss a day at Disney to do it! So, I thought this might be on opportune time, since there won't be "enough" days to do WDW "right" (at least one day in each park would be "enough" for me). Will going on the cruise make me want to go to the parks? Or will I get my Disney fill on the cruise and be able to relax and enjoy Sea World after the cruise? Or should I just do the 7 day cruise and forget doign any parks on this trip? AAAGH!! The possibilities are endless!! :confused3

I thought the same thing but I actually was ok with not going to the parks. If I had a choice of a 4 day and Sea World or a 7 day Disney cruise. I would choose 7 days hands down. Sea World is not going any where but what I don't know is the next time I can do another Disney cruise. Or another option is flying in a day before and hit SeaWorld the day you fly in.

I personally love the parks BUT I would CRUISE instead anyday...soI do not think so but we did MNSSHP before setting sail....:confused3

In my opinion it's very hard to compare the two... or maybe it's actually easy.. they are two totally different vacations. Disney World is go go go and a cruise is so much more relaxed (not that there isn't enough to do on a cruise, there is!) I think you just have to be realistic and not go into either one thinking they are anything alike. As long as you know what you're in for then you won't be dissappointed.

If you go for the cruise, go for the seven. Better ports, more entertainment and overall a better experience. When I am on the cruise I really do not miss the parks since I am seeing the characters everywhere, the little girls in princess dress, people having fun. 4 days and a day or 2 at sea world won't even compare to the 7 night cruise.

We would have missed not going to the parks had we not gone. So we looked at it this way... did the cruise first, then drove to Sea World on sunday... then to Bay Lake Tower(watched fireworks that night)... then monday did Discovery Cove(highlight of trip)... and then did 2 1/2 days at disney and saw our favorites. I felt like we did enough of the parks even without having as much time as we normally do. We did go midnovember, so the crowds were light and also midweek. To me, the cruise and the parks are so different.... and even though we liked the cruise, our hearts still belong to the parks. We are going again, this time a 4 day and will still go to WDW for at least 3, can't be that close and not feel the world.

Honestly, how would anyone but you know the answer? Each of us has our own expectations. I was extremely disappointed after I did my first Disney Cruise. It wasn't anything that I was expecting and quite frankly, it was the worst cruise I have ever been on. It didn't change my mind about the parks or cruising in general, it was just a one time bad thing. I have aoso experienced a wonderful Disney cruise. Which also didn't influence me toward or against the parks. How you feel after you return from a cruise is something only you can judge.

Do the 7 day! In the first 5 minutes you're on the ship, you'll be glad you went w/ the 7 day cruise! Being on the Magic for 7 nights beats the pants off of Sea World any day!

No I don't think so but I can tell you from 1st had experience that the PARKS make me miss the CRUISESHIPs.

After our cruise last year I described it as "all the magic of the parks and none of the hassles". You got the magic, spirit, service of Disney and I also found the other passengers in a much better mood than you sometimes encounter in the parks.

Everyone seemed more relaxed there wasn't the urgency go get anywhere.

"After our cruise last year I described it as "all the magic of the parks and none of the hassles". You got the magic, spirit, service of Disney and I also found the other passengers in a much better mood than you sometimes encounter in the parks.
Everyone seemed more relaxed there wasn't the urgency go get anywhere."

You hit the sail on the head! Exactly how we felt.
As for my children (almost 3 & 4) they were mesmerized on this cruise, and they had just been to WDW in May. We booked a dummy date for 2011 but are already thinking of changing it to another 2010 cruise. We are definitely in LOVE with the Magic. Happy Valentine's Day!! :love:

Like everyone else said, the 7 days onboard is better. Given that, I suggest you do the 4 day cruise and SeaWorld. You will get a chance to see if cruising is right for you AND do something you know you and the kids will like. You can rebook on the ship to save a few bucks and say goodbye to Shamu. If you do the seven day first, you will NEVER see the whale because you will spend all your future vacation funds on Mickey's parks and ships. Either way, the boat is a good idea for a more laid back (less walking) vacation and has made our family Castaway Club members. Have fun.

Even if we have been to the parks on a separate vacation in the same year, I still find myself compelled to try and get to the parks for at least a day before a cruise to get my "fix." So, personally, doing a cruise without getting in at least a day at the parks would make me feel like I was missing out on the parks. For our upcoming September cruise, we are actually going to stay at the Port, but will stop by Disney World to exchange our GAD vouchers for APs. Although I know that staying at the Port makes the most sense financially, I'm going to try and work on DH so that he at least lets us spend a couple hours at one of the parks...we'll see how that goes. :rolleyes1

After our cruise last year I described it as "all the magic of the parks and none of the hassles". You got the magic, spirit, service of Disney and I also found the other passengers in a much better mood than you sometimes encounter in the parks.

Everyone seemed more relaxed there wasn't the urgency go get anywhere.

100% agree. I just wanted to add whatever you do I would try to do it before you get on the ship. Both times we were so tired when we got off the ship. The first trip we hit Sea World the day after. It was fun but we were just wore out. The second trip we went right to the hotel to relax. Our flight was the next day. Next we plan on going to US the day before we get on the ship.

I like the idea of trying the Sea Worls/4 day combo. I know I would love the 7 day cruise, but I think I need to ease DH and DS into the cruising thing. 4 days will probably be a good way to start. Thanks!

So, does everyone think Sea World, then cruise, or cruise, then Sea World?

We are doing the double dip followed by 2 days in the parks. I think just going one day to the magic kingdom will be good. Than our second day we can't decide but think we will do epcot. For the past 6 years we have done the parks for 8 days each trip so we will see how this goes.

Definitely do the 7 day cruise. I have never taken a 4 day, but when you're on that 7 day and you get to day 4, you're just starting to enjoy it and realize you still get a few more days. You really feel comfortable on the ship and realize you have enough days left to still savor the trip and relax.

The first year we did DCL, I worked my yearly WDW parks trip in. We came back to port and did a 5 night stay at Animal Kingdom. It was just too much back to back. I HAD to do it since the kids weren't in school that week. I did all that relaxing and went full throttle in the parks. I wish I had spaced it out.

Next month we are headed down to our 4th 7-day cruise. I am leaving a day ahead to get one day of the Magic Kingdom in with my boys then DH is coming down. My boys, 17 and 14.5, still choose DCL over other options for vacation. My fellow Disney-geek friend just loves that my boys still get so excited for all things Disney and aren't too cool to say so!:thumbsup2

I think it is smarter to do your Orlando excursion before you cruise.

I just connected to your Digital Scrapbook. How awesome!!!!

I did the Disney Photopass with their digital scrapbook after spring break 2009. I didn't know you could mix CM with other venues. I'll have to look into that.

Digital is so much easier, but I have all this old-fashioned scrapbook stuff that I feel I can't just abandon that investment!

Your kids were so adorable. I miss that age. 14 and 17 boys don't go for the cute poses anymore even though they love to be there.

I just connected to your Digital Scrapbook. How awesome!!!!

I did the Disney Photopass with their digital scrapbook after spring break 2009. I didn't know you could mix CM with other venues. I'll have to look into that.

Digital is so much easier, but I have all this old-fashioned scrapbook stuff that I feel I can't just abandon that investment!

Your kids were so adorable. I miss that age. 14 and 17 boys don't go for the cute poses anymore even though they love to be there.

I can only take credit for one of the kids in my Disney pics -- I have one son, just turned 5 the other day. I still have a pile of traditional supplies for scrapping, but I'm totally addicted to the digital stuff. I still use the paper and cutters for cards and other crafts so I don't feel too guilty about it!

See, there's another reason to go on the cruise -- different kinds of Disney pictures to scrap! I am getting kind of tired of the park pics over and over! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter