Will the 2nd week of Oct but much worse than the 1st?

mommy2allyandaveri

DIS Veteran
I know October used to be a slow time, but I guess it isn't anymore. We had planned to go the first week of October but due to scheduling conflicts we can't go that week. We are thinking of pushing the trip back 1 week to the 2nd week of October. Will it be a lot more crowded than the 1st??

Our other option is the 1st or 2nd week of December but I'm a little concerned about the weather. We have been many times in December and haven't had a problem with the weather but I just think it's unpredictable and I DO NOT want to do DL in the rain with 2 little kids.

What are your thoughts? Suggestions?

I would say the 1 or 2nd week of December. I went in the first week of October and it was really really busy and they say its the slowest week of October. Because when the 2nd week hits thats whey they start getting into Micky's Halloween Treat events which goes on for several weeks and draws in huge crowds.

Also the first weekend in October is the yearly event Gay Days which those couples can bring their families into the park and have meet and greets etc. So that also brings in larger crowds. So if you have a problem with that type of thing then I wouldnt suggest the first week of october, unless you go partially the last week of september and into the first half of the week in October before all types of events start.

Even so, any time is a good time to go to a Disney Park. You will have fun no matter what.

I think as long as you plan for the crowds, you will be fine in October. I was there last year during the second week of October, and it was very busy! We had been in October two years prior (before MHT was born!) and crowds were very light! We have a picture of me with the golden carousel horse they had set up for the 50th Celebration photo ops, and in the background, there is no one else in Fantasyland!!!

So we were shocked when we went in 2007! However, it sounds like you are in the same situation that we are... You go to DLR on a regular basis. Given that, I would recommend you go in October. If the crowds prevent you from riding a ride multiple times, probably not as big a deal as it would be for those who only make the trip once in a lifetime.

I agree with you on the December weather. We went the week before Christmas, and it was downright cold at night!! We even left early one night becase it was too cold. For that reason, we decided not to take our neices for Christmas, although I would have loved for them to see Disneyland at Christmastime.

HTH!
Vicki

I was making plans for the first week of Oct. I noticed on one of the threads that gays days is the first weekend Of Oct. '08. I decided to change my plans to the secord or third week.

Happy travels.

AZ Schools have a "fall break" either the second or third week of October, which definitely adds to the Halloweentime crowds.

We did the second week in Oct this past time, and it was CROWDED!! We went the 9-13. It was crowded the whole week but got really bad towards the end, to the point where you couldn't walk in the place and all the lines were very long.

If you are good with crowds then you'll be fine. We never enjoy it that crowded so we won't do October again. Just too many things going on and too many schools out on break.

We will be there from the 12th to the 18th, with one of those days being at Legoland. I figure with that even it is crowded we should be able to see and do everything we want too.

I am hoping it won't be quite as crowded as is was during spring break a couple of years ago.

We're from socal, and our kids are on fall break the first week of October. Just about everyone I know there has an AP, and they all go to DL during that week, including us.

We began going to DL years ago in October. However, it seems each year has gotten progressively more crowded. First was Gay days which has grown. Now they have added the Mickey's Halloween event on weekends which seems to draw some large crowds. You also may want to take into consideration that October 13 will be Columbus Day.

Personally, I would opt for December. If it rains a bit it is usually doesn't last very long but does run off some of the crowd. It really is really pretty cool to be at DL in the rain! Just grab some ponchos and keep going, take in some shopping or find a dry place in some of the indoor attractions.

We're from socal, and our kids are on fall break the first week of October. Just about everyone I know there has an AP, and they all go to DL during that week, including us.
:scared: Oh no - that's the week staring 6 October??? Oops, we though the break started the following week.

:scared: Oh no - that's the week staring 6 October??? Oops, we though the break started the following week.

Sorry, let me clarify. Their break is Sept. 27-Oct. 5, to me that includes the first week of October, but I could see how people would consider the week of Oct. 6 as the first week.

Thanks everyone. Looks like we are going to go Dec 7th for 5 nights. I just really hope it doesn't rain, because a 2 year old and a 5 year old in the rain IS NOT fun! We would probably be one of the families that is driven off by the rain... But we will be there for 5 days so I guess if it rains a little it will be ok.

Thanks everyone. Looks like we are going to go Dec 7th for 5 nights. I just really hope it doesn't rain, because a 2 year old and a 5 year old in the rain IS NOT fun! We would probably be one of the families that is driven off by the rain... But we will be there for 5 days so I guess if it rains a little it will be ok.

:thumbsup2 Excellent choice! Keep your eyes peeled for info on the CP and Cast Member parties, which may/may not affect your trip.

From what Albort posted they should be the week prior. I need to find out for sure though because that is what we want to avoid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter