• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will TarzansKat meet Captain Jack? ~A Pirate's Life for 3 Pre-Trippie~ We're back!

Good luck with the blue Mickey crocs!!! :goodvibes

As for the resort dilemma:

Well, if it were me (and it has been many times including today when I realized that I could still change to a deluxe for June) I would in all honesty upgrade to a moderate and use the difference for spending money. While a deluxe is wonderful with all the amenities, pool, and wonderful food, it still comes down to an astronomical price difference. For us, we love all of Disney's pools, they all have pool bars, and any resort eating we want to do, we can just go to the deluxes to soak up atmosphere and eat. The big things for us are the fridges and ceiling fans, and moderates have those. And I really like having enough spending money that I don't feel like I have to be a Scrooge about souvenirs.

So, again if it were me, I would upgrade to a moderate and visit the Poly. Just a thought :goodvibes .

You have a very concise way of putting that, and I appreciate it. When I look at the price difference between Pop and POFQ, I think I can handle an extra $500, and that certainly will not make or break next year's trip. As far as spending money, we are not big souvie people. I don't really buy a ton of stuff on vacation. Perhaps a new article of clothing, some toys for DS, if DH wants something. But all this discretionary spending is done with our reward dollars from our Disney Visa. This is like bonus money to us, so it's already planned in. I know a lot of people probably love to shop more than I do while they're down there, but I've just recently gotten into the we don't need more carp cluttering up our house mentality. So I'm not a big spender on vacay, unless you count those extra Dole Whips! ;)

Of course, if we don't stay at the Pop, I will have to appease DH by finding every single slushie coke vendor in every park we go to. I'm sure we could scour allears.net menus for that! :rotfl:

Also, my mom is not at all a fan of the mods. So for next year, it'll be value or deluxe. I guess looking at it that way, this may be a good year for a mod. But of course, I reserve the right to change my mind on this at any given moment! ;)

However, should you decide to upgrade to a deluxe, I will love hearing about every minute of it.

But of course!:)

Well, since you don't NEED to buy lots of souvies (like I do) that throws my whole argument right out the window.

So, here's my next question: What else would you do with the rebate money if you didn't use it to upgrade?

Well, since you don't NEED to buy lots of souvies (like I do) that throws my whole argument right out the window.

So, here's my next question: What else would you do with the rebate money if you didn't use it to upgrade?

Totally boring and totally not fun, but definitely financially savvy.

We'd pay off another loan. I'll give you a little background.

Before I had DS, or worked in a bank, I was a very good saver, but not at all financially savvy. I made DH's loan payments (I handle all our bills) without even giving a thought to what the total amount was, or how long it was going to take to pay them off. Then life happened, and I got a little older and a little wiser...suffice it to say that loan, which was originally upwards of $40,000 began the thing that was weighing us down financially. We were continually taking money out of savings to live on, and I was still overspending.

I sat down and figured out a real budget, and then, we made some choices. We realized whatever we were earning in our savings wasn't even coming close to the 7.22-9.22% we were paying in interest on the loans. There were five originally, and we had already paid off one. So we paid off two more. Now there are two left, one just under $3000, and one just under $13,000.

If I were being financially responsible, I'd take the tax stimulus check, some more money from our savings and pay off the one under $3000. Then I'd continue to pay the loan at the same payment amount we're making now to get rid of it faster. Because let me tell you, once they caught on to the fact that we're paying off our loans, boy did that payment amount mysteriously go down! ;)

Now...that being said...and bless you for reading it all, there's a high probability that we could stay in a mod and still pay off that smaller loan. I say this because DH works a weekend job that brings us some extra funds. These I chuck into savings. In theory, we may be able to do both. However, I am comfortable with where the loan payments are now, so it is possible to continue the way we are.

I just want to get rid of them. I see them as a huge obstacle between us buying new cars when we need them, owning a home, or having another child.

So I try to focus on the positive. Loving husband, healthy little peanut, vacation to Disney once a year. It's a good life! :thumbsup2

Thanks for sharing with me :hug: .

Since it is always easier to be more objective with someone else's dilemmas, here is my unvarnished opinion...stick with Pop and pay off the little loan. I think in the long run you will be happier. Remember, the deluxes will always be there. I :lovestruc Pop.

DH and I had a little too much fun with credit cards in our younger, stupider days, and it took so long to pay them off (hence the huge gaps in Disney trips between 1998 and 2004 plus other things). Now, we operate on a no credit card basis. I know that is a little bit different than your situation, but I guess what I am trying to say is that now the only debt we have is our house and our car. It is such a weight off of our minds.

What about choosing a little Disney treat for yourselves while you are at Disney -- like upgrading to Deluxe Dining or adding Park Hoppers or the Water Parks (I don't know if you have those or not). Maybe even doing the Photopass CD -- that way you still feel like you are having some fun with the rebate.

Just some thoughts...

Thanks for sharing with me :hug: .

Since it is always easier to be more objective with someone else's dilemmas, here is my unvarnished opinion...stick with Pop and pay off the little loan. I think in the long run you will be happier. Remember, the deluxes will always be there. I :lovestruc Pop.

Wow! Are you actually telling me to stay at a value? ;)
Seriously, thanks for weighing in. Honestly, sometimes it's wonderful to get an objective opinion from someone who does not necessarily know us day to day, because you're able to remove yourself in a way that family/friends can't. Not that I don't count all the DISers amongst my friends...it's just a different feeling on the boards. :lovestruc

What about choosing a little Disney treat for yourselves while you are at Disney -- like upgrading to Deluxe Dining or adding Park Hoppers or the Water Parks (I don't know if you have those or not). Maybe even doing the Photopass CD -- that way you still feel like you are having some fun with the rebate.

Just some thoughts...

We are actually park hopping. I thought about not doing it to save money and said, no, I want the flexibility to choose to go elsewhere. This is a throwback to my Disney Store/Annual Passholder days when park hopping was a given.

You know, that Photopass CD is a great idea though. DH couldn't understand why I would pre-pruchase it and spend all that money on it, but I think it's fantastic. Some of my best photographs from last year are from PPs. There are some occasions where you're so involved in the character interaction...ahem, cough, Jack Sparrow, cough...that you want someone else to be snapping the shots. ;)

Honestly, though, there was an instance with Aladdin and DS where I was still obtaining Genie's autograph and that PP got so many shots that I couldn't have even dreamed of. Long story, but Aladdin took DS over to the fence to look out over the water in Epcot, and the PP jumped the fence to get some of the shots. :thumbsup2

And you are right. The deluxes will always be there. Much like Disney itself. Maybe the sensible thing this year is to go value and enjoy being able to do that and pay off the loan. Darn, I hate being so responsible. :rolleyes:

Wow! Are you actually telling me to stay at a value? ;)

I know, who would have thought it??? ;)

Seriously, thanks for weighing in. Honestly, sometimes it's wonderful to get an objective opinion from someone who does not necessarily know us day to day, because you're able to remove yourself in a way that family/friends can't. Not that I don't count all the DISers amongst my friends...it's just a different feeling on the boards. :lovestruc

No, I know where you are coming from on this one...

We are actually park hopping. I thought about not doing it to save money and said, no, I want the flexibility to choose to go elsewhere. This is a throwback to my Disney Store/Annual Passholder days when park hopping was a given.

This is the first trip where we are supposedly not park hopping -- although, I have a feeling that I will be adding the park hoppers when we check in -- it's driving me nuts thinking we are limited to just one park a day. I don't think I can stand it.

You know, that Photopass CD is a great idea though. DH couldn't understand why I would pre-pruchase it and spend all that money on it, but I think it's fantastic. Some of my best photographs from last year are from PPs. There are some occasions where you're so involved in the character interaction...ahem, cough, Jack Sparrow, cough...that you want someone else to be snapping the shots. ;)

Honestly, though, there was an instance with Aladdin and DS where I was still obtaining Genie's autograph and that PP got so many shots that I couldn't have even dreamed of. Long story, but Aladdin took DS over to the fence to look out over the water in Epcot, and the PP jumped the fence to get some of the shots. :thumbsup2

I love Photopass -- I just bought frames today for the ones from TL. I fear I am running out of display space! :scared1:

And you are right. The deluxes will always be there. Much like Disney itself. Maybe the sensible thing this year is to go value and enjoy being able to do that and pay off the loan. Darn, I hate being so responsible. :rolleyes:

It isn't any fun.

Know I will back you should you decide to go deluxe. ;)

We'll be focusing on the finer aspects of curiousity in this chapter, and not the fact that it killed the cat...especially since I am TarzansKat! :rotfl:

Sometimes, I just kill me. :lmao: And no, I haven't had a glass of white wine...yet. ;)

It's time to jump back into the itinerary. After I took my little foray into "should I change resorts world" I decided, let us try to maintain some sense of order here and get back to the plans! Ah, the plans. Written in several Excel spreadsheets, but subject to change without notice.

And today, Friday, September 19th, is about one word, love. Curiousity. You're going to want it. You won't be able to resist. You're going to want to know what it tastes like...

Oh yes, my friends. Today is the day of my holy grail! And for that, I think we need some dancing bananas to lead the way!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Today, I will be fufilling my curiousity and partaking of the delectable loveliness that is TONGA TOAST!!!!! :woohoo:

We have a 1030 ADR at the Kona Cafe, because I decided that if I'm going to fully appreciate said taste, it's going to be in a sit down, please wait on me kind of environment. Not a go up and get it myself deal, oh no. I am going to be pampered folks. I may even order a mimosa! :thumbsup2 I know, that's lots of sticky sweet going on all at once but who cares??? It's breakfast, in the World, and we're getting close to the end here.

Having the Tonga Toast is actually special to me in a new way now. Minds out of the gutter, people, we're going to be serious for a few moments here. I'm very blessed to have three grandparents still living. The one that is no longer with us is my Granddad. The one who DS inherited his beautiful auburn red hair from. I miss my Granddad. He passed away when I was in high school, very suddenly. It was a heart attack, so none of us were emotionally prepared. I still think about him a lot. The other day my mom let it slip that she had heard of Tonga Toast before, because on one trip, my Granddad had wanted to try it. Apparently, folks, it's been popular for quite the time! So they scurried over to the Poly, and you know what? Sold out! Sold out of Tonga Toast! :scared1: To my knowledge, Granddad never got to try it. So I say here and now, as much as I joke about it, this Tonga Toast is for my Granddad, and all the great memories I have of him in general and at Disney.

Phew...okay, I'm a little teary now, so we're going to need to switch back to witty, racous piratey behavior (which by the way, Granddad would have gotten a kick out of, he was quite the jokester).

After I've partaken of the sweet, proliferous bouquet that is Tortuga...ahem...I mean Tonga Toast, our plans are pretty much open. Today and Saturday are pretty much interchangeable in that we could go to the Magic Kingdom, or Epcot. After the Toast, I think I may want to jet around the Poly a little bit and soak up some of the atmosphere. Then depending on whatever rides, etc we haven't done, we'll hit a park. Flexibility is the order of the day people. And if I don't get my Casey's Hot Dog on the first night, then, insert it here. I'm sure I'll want lunch or dinner at some point, which brings me to another delectable goody. The Dole Whip. Yummy. :dance3: So if we're in MK, we'll be partaking of this delectableness. If in Epcot, who knows. Whatever I missed the first time around! :rotfl2:

I have also entertained the notion of partaking in a second MNSSHP. Shhh...don't tell DH. Since we're so hardcore into the whole costuming thing, and it takes a while to get dressed/ready/on the go, I thought it might be cool to go to more than one party. One where we dress up, and one where we don't. We'll just be our silly selves, perhaps in Pirate tees and shorts, and be able to run freely! Collecting more candy! Riding more rides! Meeting Jack Sparrow (hopefully) and Tarzan and villains again! I don't know, am I crazy? Part of me wants to do this, and part of me says, eh...leave the night open...you never know. What happens in Disney stays in...no, wait...what happens in Disney is posted on the DIS boards!

Up next...our last full day...:::sniff, sniff:::...but it's not totally sad! Can you guess why?

I know, who would have thought it??? ;)
Not I! :lmao:

This is the first trip where we are supposedly not park hopping -- although, I have a feeling that I will be adding the park hoppers when we check in -- it's driving me nuts thinking we are limited to just one park a day. I don't think I can stand it.

You know, it is doable. My itinerary is actually based around one park per day, I'm just being totally selfish with the hopping thing! :)

It isn't any fun.
Being a grown up sometimes isn't all it's cracked up to be! :laundy:

Know I will back you should you decide to go deluxe. ;)
I know you've got my back, sister! :laughing:

Okay, all teary-eyed over your reason for Tonga Toast! Seriously.

2 MNSSHP -- I think it is a great idea!!! We have had the most fun at the parties at MK -- it's such a different feel!!! Plus, you get to feel like an elitist for a little bit :).

As for park hopping -- I know I could live without it, but...Thursday, we might want to hit two parks; Friday could be a two park day, and Tuesday night if we were feeling ambitious. At least that is one of the things that I can decide about once we get down there. Unlike some other things that have to be decided months in advance!

2 MNSSHP -- I think it is a great idea!!! We have had the most fun at the parties at MK -- it's such a different feel!!! Plus, you get to feel like an elitist for a little bit :).

Okay, DH suffers through, I mean, kindly listens to my chapters. I just read him the last one so the secrets out! I'm still undecided on whether or not we'll do two, but he didn't say no! ;)

Yesterday was my Nana's 80th birthday, so before we had dinner at my place, I prepared tea a la Grand Floridian for my Mom and Nana. We had a really good time, but I was getting the makings of the cold, so between that and having her party at my house, I'm a little wiped today. Very, very grateful though to have my Nana! :lovestruc

I'll be posting some updates soon! I have so much to say, so much to say, so much to say...;)

Alright, guys, I have oodles to update, but no time!

My DSIL is in labor! :goodvibes

Since I offered to provide emotional support, I think I'll be a little busy today. However, I will do my best to post another chapter soon...hopefully tonight...after DS's new baby cousin is born! :yay:

Woo hoo! I love when our family gets bigger! Especially when I'm not the one pregnant. :lmao:

Well, I'm an auntie! I already had a niece, now I have two!

So I'd like to :welcome: my new 7 lb 7.6 oz, 20.5" long bundle of baby girl joy to our family and the DIS family! Ah...another princess in the making. ;)

Alright, folks before we commence with another chapter in the trippie I just have to gush about how beautiful my new niece is. I just was reviewing the oodles of pics I took of her last night, she reminds me of a little Snow White. Jet, jet, jet black hair and quite a lot of it! :goodvibes

We are all so relieved that she is a healthy little princess. Both my DSILs have PKU, very rare genetic disease. They are automatically named as high risk pregnancies. So during each pregnancy, they have to follow a strictly regimented diet, and a whole bunch of other things I won't list in detail. But let's put it this way, my 9 month old niece, DD of my other DSIL...well, she didn't know she was pregnant right away, so was not strictly following the diet. Docs talked to her numerous times about terminating, and saying there was a 90% chance something would be wrong with the baby. Well, nine months later, we have happy healthy, very vocal little girl.

So my other DSIL having given birth yesterday is an affirmation of how blessed our family is, and how lucky my DSILs are. Somebody upstairs loves them very much. :)

Remember how I fondly proclaimed "we have our heading!"

Well, it's still true, but we need to reassess. See, we have some slight issues...problems...well, trifles really, with day number one, Sept 14th. You see, the hope was to catch a flight somewhat synonymous with DS naptime, as we've done in previous years. I believe last year we got on a plane around 1-130, and had a nice lunch before hand, so he could sleep if he wanted to.

Alas! Gone are the days of the 1020 flight I so knew and loved, when I could easily be in the World at the Crystal Palace on my first day for an early 430 ADR. Gone, I say!

And gone, I say, are the days of the 130 flight as well. Because what you all need to understand is that we fly Southwest, and we fly nonstop. That's how we roll in the TK family. Why change planes if you don't have to?

So magically over the weekend, Southwest airlines released their flight times all the way into October! :banana: How excited was I to check the DING fare (which I deemed to be not worthy since I know it will go lower, always does) and what to my wondering eyes would appear? Nope, not :santa:

Not even close. :eek:

The only nonstops in my area leave at either :scared1: 700am or 415pm.

Wow! Those choices are just astounding, huh? I mean, how lovely. I can either wake my little family up at the crack of dawn to make it to the airport on time, or I can waste a whole day traveling and not get my all important, highly revered, Casey's hot dog! :mad:

Pardon me while I have a little tantrum. :scared:

Alrighty, so after my :scared: was over, I discussed the situation with DH.

Have you met my DH? Fan of Batman, the dark knight? Night owl extraodinaire? Man who used to work in his fathers's/uncle's restaurants till all hours, sleep late and wake to do it all over again?

Now what do you think he said?

How well do you know the TK family?

Will the questions ever end? ;)

Stay tuned. :happytv:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter