Will price point for POP increase?

Exactly! Most hotels have coffee makers and queen beds as a standard. In fact, I've never been to a hotel that doesn't have at least a queen sized bed unless it is a hostel. Disney is just finally getting with the times, probably because they see that Universal is building more hotels that are way cheaper than theirs are, yet have more modern amenities. I mean, Cabana Bay is the same price and sometimes cheaper than Pop yet it has a lazy river, a bowling alley, a pool, and a hot tub.
And larger room size.

Seems like sooner than later a value resort will be in the $200 price range. I remember when you could get a value for under $100. I feel like they will price out a lot of families from staying on property if the prices keep going up on the values.
I paid $59 in 2002 for ASMO. But I also remember poly being in the $200's. This is the exact reason we bought DVC. So we don't get priced out.

My daughter had a softball showcase at Wide World of Sports this past week. I was chaperone to three teenage girls all 13 years old. We live about an hour and half away so being AP holder I booked an AP rate at All Star Music for Fri and Sat night at 119 a night. As luck would have it Wed evening we found out the team had an very early game scheduled on Friday morning having to be at WWOS at 6:45 a.m. This had me scrambling to find a last minute room close by for Thur night. All Star Sports wanted $159 to add Thur night, yeah not happening. I ended up booking Marriott Townplace at Flamingo Crossing for $92 including breakfast. The room was at least twice as big, had a kitchen, decent size bath and two queen beds (which had far superior mattresses than ASM,) ans a pull out sofa bed. It took all of 7 minutes for us to drive to WWOS. The moment of truth came when we walk into our room at All Star Music on Friday afternoon and all 3 teens commented on the fact that our room the night before was much nicer, larger and since we will be back for a week in July they wanted to see if it was possible to cancel the All Star Sports reservation the team has booked and go back to the Marriott Flamingo Crossing. I checked when we returned home and they could accommodate the team at Marriott Towneplace in rooms with 2 queens and pull our sofa bed at $22 a night less than All Star Music. After much discussion the team decided to move locations. We all have our own cars so that factored into our decision but the bottom line was we as a team just didn't see the value in staying at the All Stars... If the prices climb at the values I know I won't be staying there. I'm willing to pay for the Disney difference with a deluxe or mods but not the values and that includes Pop even with the upgrades.

That is tempting but you wouldn't save the $22 if you hadn't been an AP holder. Unless- did the Marriott have have a shuttle?

Asking because that does sound like a much better set up than the pop rooms, but car rental would make it more expensive than Pop I think...

Exactly! Most hotels have coffee makers and queen beds as a standard. In fact, I've never been to a hotel that doesn't have at least a queen sized bed unless it is a hostel. Disney is just finally getting with the times, probably because they see that Universal is building more hotels that are way cheaper than theirs are, yet have more modern amenities. I mean, Cabana Bay is the same price and sometimes cheaper than Pop yet it has a lazy river, a bowling alley, a pool, and a hot tub.
And you can bet they will continue to increase their "Value Resort" prices as they bring them up to "industry standards"!lol:)

I hear you.
I will be offsite before I stay there ....
..... unless I can get the old days of $59 a night.
I'll just pack my flashlight and more ... ;)

Yes, big difference, now if they drop some AP prices for Sept that may help at POP but I have a feeling with the change in Free Dining to only get QSDP at moderates, I think lots changed their booking to POP. Add in this renovation .... not holding out hope for a discount or at least enough rooms to be able to capture one. That bathroom isn't worth $38 a night if there are only two of us, we get our own full bed at AllStars ... and if DS2 comes .... well Mom still gets her own bed. :D
Im not holding my breath for any discounts at Pop either. During reno's, maybe there will be. But after its done and once the gondola comes in, forget it. Just my guess. :(

Ah, $59/night. Those were the good old days. :sad:

You will now have queen beds or if a couple the advantage of a more spacious room with the murphy up. Our joke with room size is ... I don't use the floor so why do I care there is more floor? I would rather have bigger beds, which they are doing.

Based on current pictures that bathroom is WAY nicer than the moderate bathrooms.

Many don't use the hot tub (I have one at home and don't trust public ones, although Disney is a close as I'll get), many like us all adults don't care about the slides and no matter where I stay I eat all over the place. While I love the moderates it is hard for me to book because I don't use most the amenities. The rooms themselves are going to be their selling point.

I think each resort will have it's own special details and that is what will be sold. I agree with others, there will be no values, moderates etc. AoA already started the playing with the higher price point so I expect POP to join them ... and they are connected. My guess is the bottom price will be $150 range and high holiday will be over $200. Moderates will likely jump too especially CSR once their construction is complete. It is different, spa, salon, fitness room, business center, more dining and drinking than other moderates and now this tower ... that will jump in price.
I totally agree with these points. Room size doesnt matter to me, bed size does. The new bathrooms at pop are much nicer than the mod ones. Public hot tubs freak me out....and I dont do water slides anymore. As for restaurants, i rarely eat at the resort. These are the reasons why we dont really benefit much from staying at a moderate resort. There's no benefit for us at all. Values are fine for us. I agree with your guess at $150 for pop. Guess we'll wait and see what happens in the long run.

Every hotel would have their own set of amenities and IF (I'm still hoping until it comes out Disney's math) they build this gondola ..... there is your perk. You aren't an Epcot or Monorail resort but you are a GONDOLA resort. :rolleyes:

You will now have queen beds or if a couple the advantage of a more spacious room with the murphy up. Our joke with room size is ... I don't use the floor so why do I care there is more floor? I would rather have bigger beds, which they are doing.

Based on current pictures that bathroom is WAY nicer than the moderate bathrooms.

Many don't use the hot tub (I have one at home and don't trust public ones, although Disney is a close as I'll get), many like us all adults don't care about the slides and no matter where I stay I eat all over the place. While I love the moderates it is hard for me to book because I don't use most the amenities. The rooms themselves are going to be their selling point.

I think each resort will have it's own special details and that is what will be sold. I agree with others, there will be no values, moderates etc. AoA already started the playing with the higher price point so I expect POP to join them ... and they are connected. My guess is the bottom price will be $150 range and high holiday will be over $200. Moderates will likely jump too especially CSR once their construction is complete. It is different, spa, salon, fitness room, business center, more dining and drinking than other moderates and now this tower ... that will jump in price.
For me, I agree, bathroom is nice, but I have my own room this trip. If I'm traveling with a daughter, the lack of 2 sinks would be a problem. I do think room size matters. So having Murphy bed up will be good. Staying in room with a family, those rooms would be way too small. I couldn't stay with more than 2 in these rooms. Our last time we could barely clear door getting suitcases in. Door didn't clear bed. Maybe housekeeping moved bed over too much during cleaning?
I still like slides :flower:and love the ones at GF, Poly & sab. Plenty of adults use them. We also go to the water parks.
As my first long stay at Pop in November/Dec I'm afraid I'll miss lack of hot tub, so nice on sore legs after walking all day.

For me, I agree, bathroom is nice, but I have my own room this trip. If I'm traveling with a daughter, the lack of 2 sinks would be a problem. I do think room size matters. So having Murphy bed up will be good. Staying in room with a family, those rooms would be way too small. I couldn't stay with more than 2 in these rooms. Our last time we could barely clear door getting suitcases in. Door didn't clear bed. Maybe housekeeping moved bed over too much during cleaning?
I still like slides :flower:and love the ones at GF, Poly & sab. Plenty of adults use them. We also go to the water parks.
As my first long stay at Pop in November/Dec I'm afraid I'll miss lack of hot tub, so nice on sore legs after walking all day.

That is the key, everyone is different with different needs. The same exact room works great for one, not for another. Key is picking out a resort/room that will work for you. I think Disney has a distinct demographic in mind for POP. It is very popular with adult/young adult groups, they were seeing that and I think this design is aimed at them. There is a second bed if you need it.

Appreciate your needs! I firmly believe there is no right or wrong choice, but as another POV ...

All the values have a single sink, so that hasn't changed, what has changed is highly functional storage space compared to balancing our stuff on the counter and skinny ledge above it. I believe Coronado had one sink, now getting two but it's a small tight space. For our family, we are never in bathroom together so don't care about the sinks. We naturally schedule nights, mornings, some eat breakfast while others shower, who gets to sleep 10 minutes longer etc.

Yes, I'd much rather stay in a suite or 1/2 bedroom unit .. and I do often = offsite where I get my monies worth. But I won't pay Disney prices for space I don't need. I go to Disney to do parks and everything else they offer, not lay around in my room - even though we have. My family has stayed there with 4 adults in room, and usually it's 3 adults in the room and we are just fine. We do fine together, we have no bathroom issues, no storage issues and the closest we come to stand off is if someone has a tiring day and starts snoring! Some families can't stand the togetherness, we couldn't be bothered, we are there to hang out together. Paying for floor space has no value to me at Disney .... other places yes.

Everyone packs different. Each of us have a small carry-on style bag, a couple computer bags, a couple backpacks and then the food/drink we bring. That's it. New design works for us and I imagine for many adults. We don't have a stroller, or kids stuff, or lots of excess.

Oh we LOVE the water parks & slides, and if we are doing water time that is where we are heading. So I'm not saying adults don't like water slides but what I'm saying plenty don't pay to go to Disney to just hang around hotel pools. We can do that anywhere. It's why I hate Bonnet Creek, so much to do and enjoy but we are always on the go. I wish I could pick it up and move it away from Disney. Imagine that is the same I would be with Poly, BC or GF but for US I can't justify paying those prices when I am busy enjoying the parks etc, not the hotel amenities.

Values are a great option for those who truly are going to enjoy the parks and more, not hanging around the resort. They provide all the basics you need for a quick dip, quick bite to eat, quick drink ......... but the true value is being on property without spending a fortune. The new rooms, while I hate many things about them, have def been given a HUGE upgrade with the bathroom and queen beds. Some will jump on it and some will still look at them as "the value resorts" and not stay.

Disney offers a wide variety .... in the range of Disney pricing, not real world, but it's in the bubble.

With the proximity this resort will have to the new Star Wars Land there is no way they won't end up hiking the price. The construction nearby is part of a new roadway system for entering Hollywood Studios, so this will definitely have an effect.

Well this is a bummer. I've never had any luck getting a room at Pop (either always sold out or something else got in the way). I guess my only option is to try next year while the gondolas are still under construction. The view and the noise will stink but I don't think it will be worth it pricewise for me once they are done as sky gondolas give me the jitters. :scared:

It would price me out because I'd refuse to pay that for a value. Even though I could. The Disney Springs resorts are pretty nice and freq have discounts thru Mousesavers.
I prefer to stay on site, but there will come a time when prices just get too stupid. And WDW isn't the only game in town :rolleyes1
But when your done with parking and resort fees, you pay more per night than a WDW room. We used to fly in and look for discounts at DS area resorts, for the hassle and fees, we were better off at WDW. They prey on the uninformed tourist in the DS area or those using Reward Points.

Hey, the new prices are out and they are ALL LOWER!!!

/ not really

I think that it's very possible to get nice off-site rooms for a decent price even with fees. We have different priorities than many others though.

I love staying at a place that has a nice look and pretty grounds. I love to do a bit of walking at our resort and the best location for that is the Port Orleans resorts imo. I also love having a car and a decent size room. Pop was fine when using buses when we stayed there but the room was tiny and the grounds were only ok. I also like the convenience of a real restaurant being onsite.

But to each their own. We are all different for sure.

But when your done with parking and resort fees, you pay more per night than a WDW room. We used to fly in and look for discounts at DS area resorts, for the hassle and fees, we were better off at WDW. They prey on the uninformed tourist in the DS area or those using Reward Points.
I've gotten great price on a 1 bedroom suite at the Doubletree with mousesavers discount, incl room discount plus free breakfast. For less than a WDW moderate. No resort fee, and didn't have car rental. It was only for one night when I decided to arrive a day early and was very impressed. The suite was huge, cheaper than a moderate, and way cheaper than any WDW 1 bedroom. I think I paid $120. Just a tad over value resort and 3x the room size. I've also seen mousesavers deals on other resorts, B Resort that waives resort fee, upgrades room, and room discounts. Although my pref is onsite, if I get priced out imo the DS resort area is a good option if you find the right discounts. And they have good bus service too running continuously every 30 min.

Last edited:
I think that it's very possible to get nice off-site rooms for a decent price even with fees. We have different priorities than many others though.

I love staying at a place that has a nice look and pretty grounds. I love to do a bit of walking at our resort and the best location for that is the Port Orleans resorts imo. I also love having a car and a decent size room. Pop was fine when using buses when we stayed there but the room was tiny and the grounds were only ok. I also like the convenience of a real restaurant being onsite.

But to each their own. We are all different for sure.
Por is one of our favs! Love walking along the river paths.

That is the key, everyone is different with different needs. The same exact room works great for one, not for another. Key is picking out a resort/room that will work for you. I think Disney has a distinct demographic in mind for POP. It is very popular with adult/young adult groups, they were seeing that and I think this design is aimed at them. There is a second bed if you need it.

Appreciate your needs! I firmly believe there is no right or wrong choice, but as another POV ...

All the values have a single sink, so that hasn't changed, what has changed is highly functional storage space compared to balancing our stuff on the counter and skinny ledge above it. I believe Coronado had one sink, now getting two but it's a small tight space. For our family, we are never in bathroom together so don't care about the sinks. We naturally schedule nights, mornings, some eat breakfast while others shower, who gets to sleep 10 minutes longer etc.

Yes, I'd much rather stay in a suite or 1/2 bedroom unit .. and I do often = offsite where I get my monies worth. But I won't pay Disney prices for space I don't need. I go to Disney to do parks and everything else they offer, not lay around in my room - even though we have. My family has stayed there with 4 adults in room, and usually it's 3 adults in the room and we are just fine. We do fine together, we have no bathroom issues, no storage issues and the closest we come to stand off is if someone has a tiring day and starts snoring! Some families can't stand the togetherness, we couldn't be bothered, we are there to hang out together. Paying for floor space has no value to me at Disney .... other places yes.

Everyone packs different. Each of us have a small carry-on style bag, a couple computer bags, a couple backpacks and then the food/drink we bring. That's it. New design works for us and I imagine for many adults. We don't have a stroller, or kids stuff, or lots of excess.

Oh we LOVE the water parks & slides, and if we are doing water time that is where we are heading. So I'm not saying adults don't like water slides but what I'm saying plenty don't pay to go to Disney to just hang around hotel pools. We can do that anywhere. It's why I hate Bonnet Creek, so much to do and enjoy but we are always on the go. I wish I could pick it up and move it away from Disney. Imagine that is the same I would be with Poly, BC or GF but for US I can't justify paying those prices when I am busy enjoying the parks etc, not the hotel amenities.

Values are a great option for those who truly are going to enjoy the parks and more, not hanging around the resort. They provide all the basics you need for a quick dip, quick bite to eat, quick drink ......... but the true value is being on property without spending a fortune. The new rooms, while I hate many things about them, have def been given a HUGE upgrade with the bathroom and queen beds. Some will jump on it and some will still look at them as "the value resorts" and not stay.

Disney offers a wide variety .... in the range of Disney pricing, not real world, but it's in the bubble.

You are right, everyone has different needs. And tours the parks differently. My daughters & I have no problem rooming together, we all get along quite well. But we like our afternoon breaks by the pool. So we do hang out at resort, in afternoon, then go to another park in the evening. We have a pretty relaxed touring plan. And I like a little spreading out room, in the room! Lol. And let's just say, 3 women, sometimes 2, we don't pack light! Esp since a short trip for us is 10 days because of distance. Double sinks come in handy for us, we can both be brushing teeth, makeup, at same time.
But for just me this Nov, even though I'll miss a hot tub, I think Pop will fit the bill. Ditching the daughter and going with friend :D not to mention the horrible low Canadian dollar :crazy2: has a big influence on resort choice! Adds about 30% more to costs. Yuck. So I can't justify a moderate or Deluxe right now even though I love them, lol. And we have a DL trip in Sept too!
I hope to get a new room. I love the bathrooms and all the cubbies to keep my stuff off counter. And coffee!!! It's all about the coffee!!

I am hoping to book our first stay at POP, we have been to ASMo, POFQ and CBR, looking forward to POP in April 2018 and the new rooms looks awesome....and I totally agree with this quote, we are there for parks, not for pools, slides and hot tubs. a nice place to sleep, relax and shower and we are happy...

Just booked next May. 3 adults do an extra $25 per night. $172 average per night. I live where that is considered average for hotel rooms so no sticker shock.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter