Will paper Fastpasses be phased out?

I love the idea of the MagicBands, but not thrilled with what I've been hearing in this thread about FP+ (while it was on topic). I'm somewhat of a planner, but not THAT much of a planner. In fact, this year is the first time I've made an ADR, so hopefully, I'll be able to stick to it. Having to plan rides two months in advance, as well, seems like a headache.

Fortunately, with the exception of Toy Story Midway Mania, I always go at a time of year where lines are short enough that I don't need to grab Fastpasses, but with my luck, the next time I travel to WDW, something will happen where I'll wish I had gotten FP+ reservations taken care of two months previous.

I love the idea of the MagicBands, but not thrilled with what I've been hearing in this thread about FP+ (while it was on topic). I'm somewhat of a planner, but not THAT much of a planner. In fact, this year is the first time I've made an ADR, so hopefully, I'll be able to stick to it. Having to plan rides two months in advance, as well, seems like a headache.

Fortunately, with the exception of Toy Story Midway Mania, I always go at a time of year where lines are short enough that I don't need to grab Fastpasses, but with my luck, the next time I travel to WDW, something will happen where I'll wish I had gotten FP+ reservations taken care of two months previous.

Totally agree with you. We're not really into the idea of planning so many things in advance.

The way I see FP+, I think it's a nice option for more popular attractions that you can plan a bit, let's say in time for EMH. With that being said, I don't get why regular FP would be phased out to be replaced exclusively by FP+ for two reasons :

1) It would reduce the Park Hopper option

2) It will make Disney vacation way too planned...

Just my opinion.

Our trip is 59 days away, already under the sixty days. I read somewhere on these boards that our resort has been one of those selected to use the magic bands and FP+ in Oct. I don't have a smart phone. I never take my cellphone to the parks and don't want to start (however, it isn't even smart!) Am I going to be SOL? I wonder when they will contact us? :confused3

Can you find an old smartphone to use? Maybe a friend or family member has one sitting in a drawer you can borrow. All you need is wireless access which is free and totally separate from the phone calling part.

By not linking the phone to a wireless plan the device is simply a small tablet computer. Using wi-fi, you can download games, books, audio, the My Magic Plus App, and email.

I have an old phone I use at the gym and to listen to audio books. It's easier since I don't have to password protect it and these apps can drain the battery on my smart phone.

Maybe I'll start a new business "The Old Phones to Use at Disney Rental Agency". Hmmm....

While I do agree with you, I'm really warming up to the idea of being able to do some of it. Someone posted earlier that they hated having to worry about waking up early to get to the park early enough to get a fast pass before they're gone or at a ridiculous time (like with Toy Story). That's cool.
Also, people are talking about using it for seating at Fantasmic or special viewing areas for fireworks. Those would help me have less stress.

Hey everyone, in my professional opinion - having been a member of these boards for a whooping few days so far ;) - this is what is going to happen (remember you heard it here first):

When FP+ goes live, people staying onsite will have the option of choosing up to 3 advanced picks per day at one park up to the number of days on their linked tickets. All other park goers will have to wait until the day of and they will be able to electronically pull FPs from their phone or kiosk after using their ticket to enter the park that day. They will only be able to hold 1 fast pass per certain time period.

Of course I was at Disney a whopping 2 times in my life (1982 and 2010) so what the heck do I know? :)

As for Disney tracking me, even though I am fully aware that so much of my life story is freely available because of all I choose to reveal, I am a little freaked out by the fact that they will be able to track my location in the park with such ease. Of course I have no logical reason for being freaked out, I am aware they can easily follow me on their camera system anyway. I think I am more concerned with something accidentally ringing up under my account from me walking by. Anyway, for those concerned there is a simple pouch that blocks the signal from the chip, like those bags that EZpass tags are shipped in to keep tolls from registering on the devices during shipping.

I am a little freaked out by the fact that they will be able to track my location in the park with such ease. Of course I have no logical reason for being freaked out, I am aware they can easily follow me on their camera system anyway.

You got me thinking with this statement. Wonder if this could somehow help expedite finding and getting lost kids returned safely.
But now that I think about that, that makes no sense, right? I mean, it's not like there's GPS in it, is there? Sorry if I sound naïve, this whole thing I'm just starting to learn about.

surferdave said:
It's a bit off subject, but I'll bet you're the only bronze dragon on the DIS boards.

Where is Ramoth? Can't have a bronze without a gold.

Stacy

You got me thinking with this statement. Wonder if this could somehow help expedite finding and getting lost kids returned safely.
But now that I think about that, that makes no sense, right? I mean, it's not like there's GPS in it, is there? Sorry if I sound naïve, this whole thing I'm just starting to learn about.

Your particular RFID chip matches up to your account for identification purposes. Since they have sensors all over the park they can theoretically figure out where everybody is (by triagulation) if they have the software for that. Remember, when you drive through an ezpass lane they know exactly who you are, this isn't that different.

I have read that no child has ever been abducted from a Disney park, so what ever they have been doing so far is working.

Sheilby said:
Hey everyone, in my professional opinion - having been a member of these boards for a whooping few days so far ;) - this is what is going to happen (remember you heard it here first):

When FP+ goes live, people staying onsite will have the option of choosing up to 3 advanced picks per day at one park up to the number of days on their linked tickets. All other park goers will have to wait until the day of and they will be able to electronically pull FPs from their phone or kiosk after using their ticket to enter the park that day. They will only be able to hold 1 fast pass per certain time period.

Of course I was at Disney a whopping 2 times in my life (1982 and 2010) so what the heck do I know? :)

As for Disney tracking me, even though I am fully aware that so much of my life story is freely available because of all I choose to reveal, I am a little freaked out by the fact that they will be able to track my location in the park with such ease. Of course I have no logical reason for being freaked out, I am aware they can easily follow me on their camera system anyway. I think I am more concerned with something accidentally ringing up under my account from me walking by. Anyway, for those concerned there is a simple pouch that blocks the signal from the chip, like those bags that EZpass tags are shipped in to keep tolls from registering on the devices during shipping.

Nothing can accidentally be ringing up under your account just from you walking by. To purchase anything with the magic bands you have to enter a pin. Which you will setup at check in

Nothing can accidentally be ringing up under your account just from you walking by. To purchase anything with the magic bands you have to enter a pin. Which you will setup at check in

Excellent, thank you, I didn't know that and now I feel so much better.

All you have to do is leave your Magicband in your hotel room (or at home if you're local) and request a KTTW card instead. The KTTW card can only be scanned from within a matter of inches at best. In other words, you need to pretty much physically touch a scanner with your card for it to register. The KTTW card works just like a Magicband, but without the long range (10-15 feet max) capability of the Magicband.

And even with the Magicband, you can't really be "tracked" constantly. The technology, as has been talked about extensively in other threads, simply doesn't work that way. You can occasionally be "seen" on the system when you pass within 10-15 feet of a long-range scanner, but those long range scanners are few and far between. (They aren't, for example, all over the hub at MK, or down Main St USA, etc. They'd need to be in a dense grid all over the place in order to keep "full" tabs on you).

Your particular RFID chip matches up to your account for identification purposes. Since they have sensors all over the park they can theoretically figure out where everybody is (by triagulation) if they have the software for that. Remember, when you drive through an ezpass lane they know exactly who you are, this isn't that different.

I have read that no child has ever been abducted from a Disney park, so what ever they have been doing so far is working.

This is not really accurate. They do not have a dense enough grid of long-range scanners to triangulate your position. The battery and transmitter in the Magicband has a minimal range (10-15 feet), and there are far too many "dead spots" in the long-range reader grid for anyone to be tracked with any sort of accuracy. It's not like ez-pass or GPS.

In order to be able to track you like you describe, they would need a grid of "long rage" RFID readers. This grid would need a reader placed every 20 feet (in all directions) inside every park, inside every attraction, all around the WDW Railroad, inside restrooms, etc. Additionally, the signal from the Magicbands is weak enough that basic walls (like those of a restroom) would block the transmission. So they'd need to make sure that they placed readers inside every walled enclosure in the parks.

Basically the technology of the Magicband does not nearly lend itself to be practical as a means of tracking someone. At best, you're looking at a situation where Disney could know when you entered a queue or a store (think of the long-range readers more like a virtual turnstile that IDs you as you pass through it, rather than a way to track you constantly). This technology is in use at the Be Our Guest restaurant (where they have probably dozens of long-range readers, if not one at each table), so that they know what table you're sitting at (when you're wearing your magicband or if you have one of those roses they give you for lunch).

Yes, I realise that but sometimes it makes me feel uncomfortable. That's why we use a different credit card to purchase items, we never attach it to our KTTW cards. Usually we pay cash for almost everything anyway. It just makes me feel uncomfortable that Disney could end up knowing exactly how much time I spent looking at mugs in one of their stores. :confused3 To each their own.

The privacy FAQs are interesting...

Disney already tracks everything you do in parks. You allow them to do this the second you buy a park ticket and check in. Not to mention your posts here are being monitorred as well.

I personally don't see what difference it makes to my life if Disney knows that on May 20th I had a tough time deciding between Mickey ears in one of their stores. However based on some of the comments in this thread I'll be looking forward to seeing some new tinfoil Mickey Ears in the coming months!

Disney already tracks everything you do in parks. You allow them to do this the second you buy a park ticket and check in. Not to mention your posts here are being monitorred as well.

I personally don't see what difference it makes to my life if Disney knows that on May 20th I had a tough time deciding between Mickey ears in one of their stores. However based on some of the comments in this thread I'll be looking forward to seeing some new tinfoil Mickey Ears in the coming months!

You do realize this message board isn't run by Disney, right?

Missyrose said:

I do but it being one of the biggest boards you'd have to be an idiot to think that Disney did not monitor it time to time.

Of course they could still monitor these boards though.... :surfweb:

Hey Disney! Please release more info about how FP+ will work for offsite visitors! :magnify:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter