Will OKW be Hard to Book After the Refurbishment?

littlestar

DIS Veteran
I've always been a big fan of OKW. The low points to stay there and the large square footage of the units is amazing - let's face it, Disney doesn't build them like that anymore unless you're talking Grand Villa.

So, I'm wondering just how hard it's going to be to book it with points once the original vacation club that started it all is all shiny and new again?

I do not think refurbishment will affect availability at OKW. It is a very large resort and typically one of the last to book up in full.

There have been other refurbishments there over the years, and I do not recall any difference in booking availability because of it.

:)

I do not think refurbishment will affect availability at OKW. It is a very large resort and typically one of the last to book up in full.

There have been other refurbishments there over the years, and I do not recall any difference in booking availability because of it.

:)

I agree. It's still not going to be within walking distance of any park, all bus transportation, which I think discourages people who don't own there.

We have always enjoyed our stays there and have never had a problem with our room looking like it needed to be refurbished. In other words, we've seen no reason to avoid staying there in the past so while getting a newly refurbished room would be nice, we don't need any additional enticements to stay there -- the huge 1BR villas are enticement enough!

We love staying at OKW, but there are lots who don't, even with refurbishing. They won't add any elevators to the buildings, so you'll still have to walk the stairs to get to the second and third floors.

I've always been a big fan of OKW. The low points to stay there and the large square footage of the units is amazing - let's face it, Disney doesn't build them like that anymore unless you're talking Grand Villa.

So, I'm wondering just how hard it's going to be to book it with points once the original vacation club that started it all is all shiny and new again?

That's a fair question but I agree with those who say that refurbishment doesn't really alter people's perceptions of a resort unless it includes major upgrades (like when OKW put a slide in their pool).

Every DVC resort gets refurbished so I don't think it has a major impact on demand for a resort after one is refurbished.

don't think it will - it is the second biggest of the DVC resort - SSR is the biggest.

sold my oKW - but definitely planning on staying a night or two - now and then.

for years it was the Disney Vacation Club..

From DVC News, it starts in the Spring of 2010 and will be finished in 2011. It sounds like a pretty major refurbishment to me. Here's a link:

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/news-resorts-85/1137-old-key-west-refurbishment-details

Nice to see that the sleeper chair is being added. Of all the DVC Resorts, OKW by far has the most room for one. I also like seeing the tile countertop go away. I know it fits the "theme" more, but I prefer a smooth surface. OKW is our second favorite resort so the refurbishment will make us love it even more.

So pleased to read about this rehab! We really like OKW, but have avoided it recently because it has seemed a bit run down. The only thing that would make it better is if they would replace those creaky stoves with broken burners! :-)

Will look forward to an OKW stay after this rehab for sure. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter