Will my iPad be safe in the parks??

Hollywoodsign

Mouseketeer
Im thinking of taking an iPad into the parks to make use of the new Disney app and free wifi. Anyone think this this a bad idea? I don't remember what the holdall areas are like as i usually just take my wallet in the parks.

By "hold all area", do you mean the place you put your stuff before you get on the ride? Disney doesn't have those. You just take your stuff on the ride with you.

yes i mean a place to put ur stuff whist on the rides.

What about rides like Areosmith, Splash Mountain, TOT where items could easily be damaged?

You take your bag on the ride with you.

Don't leave valuables anywhere!

I've brought my iPad into the parks for the last couple of trips and have never had a problem. I keep it in a backpack and there is really no danger of it getting damaged as long as you secure it when on the rides. In most cases my backpack is at my feet. For the more intense rides I'll put one of my feet through the straps to make extra sure it won't go flying. My biggest concern is water damaging it but I've not had an issue there either. As long as it's zipped up in the backpack you should be fine.

The only places they have to put your stuff are in the front of the parks in the lockers you can rent. I personally wouldn't. I wouldnt want to risk it getting damaged. Can you get the app on your phone?

yes i mean a place to put ur stuff whist on the rides.

What about rides like Areosmith, Splash Mountain, TOT where items could easily be damaged?

Personal items go on the ride with you. There are no cubbies or lockers where you can leave things when you get on because for most attractions, you get off at a different spot (helps the loading process times).

Rock n Rollercoaster has pouches on the seat in front of you to store things. I had a t-shirt in a bag and I remember clutching it between my legs for dear life going through the loops. I would never with an iPad. Similarly, I think ToT has pouches under the chair they tell you to put your stuff in. I don't remember Splash, but I would not go on it with an iPad in tow. I would either get/use an iPhone that you can keep in your pocket or forego the idea.

Why take an iPad? You can just put the Disney app on your phone. Personally I wouldn't want to carry the iPad around with me all day. Just one more thing to worry about. While we are waiting in one line, I pull out my phone and check wait times for next ride (if rides is typically known for long wait times). Then back in my pocket my phone goes. Easy peasy.

ok thanks! The reason i wanted to take an ipad rather than just my iphone is I thourght the app on the ipad had more to offer. Also, I only have the iPhone 3Gs so the photo quality is poor. Fingered crossed for the iphone 5 before Oct 1st!

But I can see why taking an iPad is not a great idea now!

Thanks for ur help :)

Just to add, I have read that they are adding lockers at Kali River Rapids.

ok thanks! The reason i wanted to take an ipad rather than just my iphone is I thourght the app on the ipad had more to offer. Also, I only have the iPhone 3Gs so the photo quality is poor. Fingered crossed for the iphone 5 before Oct 1st!

But I can see why taking an iPad is not a great idea now!

Thanks for ur help :)

I saw a lolt of people with iPads a few weeks ago. I won't take mine because of the size. Most people were using it as a camera / videocam :confused3 . If you are really worried, get the Otterbox defender. I have them for my iPad and iPhone. I love them.

I believe the iPhone 5 (if they even call it that) will be out on September 21st :cool1:

I saw a lolt of people with iPads a few weeks ago. I won't take mine because of the size. Most people were using it as a camera / videocam :confused3 .

At various functions i see more and more ipads popping up and being used as cameras. Does anyone use a real camera anymore? Its now odd to see a real digital camera being used today. Its all cell phones. I was at a special function for incoming students to dental school. I saw someone taking a picture with their 5 year old flip phone.:confused3

I think the biggest issue with "what is the best camera to take?" is how easy is it to use. Yes ipads supposedly take wonderful pictures but how easy is it for you to take it out and grab that special once in a life time pic.

I saw a lolt of people with iPads a few weeks ago. I won't take mine because of the size. Most people were using it as a camera / videocam :confused3 . If you are really worried, get the Otterbox defender. I have them for my iPad and iPhone. I love them.

I believe the iPhone 5 (if they even call it that) will be out on September 21st :cool1:

I saw this too! There was a guy riding Dumbo who had his out. It looked a little, ummmm...., awkward. There was a family recording the light parade next to us. They were using their iPads and it was kind of obnoxious imo. I have a number of pictures with their big ol iPads in them. I'd think they'd be a hassle to carry everywhere. I'd vote for phone & camera myself. I had no issues with my phone in the park. I know they were testing various wireless apps while we were there.

I saw a few people taking photos and videos with IPads, seemed really awkward to carry around all day to me.

Add me to the list of people who think it's weird to carry around an ipod. As someone who has A LOT of gadgets at home I never see the need to take any of them except for a regular camera and my cell phone, maybe the kindle for reading on the plane. I don't even take my phone into the parks most of the time! Sure the app is cool but do you really need a big ol' ipad? Probably not.

I wouldn't walk around the parks trying to use an iPad. It's too easy to drop it and damage it. Even in a big hardcore case like the Otterbox, there's still a chance. And the nearest Apple Store to get it replaced is a bit of a trek from WDW!

I only took my iPad to the parks with me on my departure day, because I didn't trust the luggage services people THAT much. I kept mine in a sleeve in my backpack, and it went on Space Mountain with me repeatedly. No damage. The only thing I wouldn't have taken it on would be Kali River Rapids at AK, but I don't ride rides where you get soaked anyway.

I'd say just use the app on your phone, the only benefit the iPad gives you is a bigger screen to view it on.

Yesterday I saw a couple of people with iPads at Hollywood Studios and I wondered why anyone would bring such a large, fragile, uncomfortable to carry device into the parks. My iPhone is more than enough for me. I check wait times, play games, browse the Internet, take pictures and video. I could be mistaken but isn't the camera on the iphone 4s better quality than the one on the iPad anyway? I do bring my iPad on my trips to use during the car ride and at the hotel at night. I guess maybe it isn't as uncomfortable to bring along for those families that like to walk around with strollers full of stuff like gypsy caravans inside the parks. I just like to carry what I can fit in my pockets and the iPad would be a huge inconvenience.

We have brought an iPad to the parks because my youngest DD does not speak and the iPad is her communication device.
It was in a protective case and when she was not using it I had it in my purse (pretty big purse).

Even though it only weighs 1 1/2 pounds, that will seem like a huge weight by the end of the day. For us it's much better than her other communication device which weighed almost 5 pounds.

The new iPad takes better pictures than the iPad 2, but neither of them take such good pictures that I would go without a camera. Besides that since they are so large it's really awkward to take pictures with them. My iPhone does very take good pictures and I have sometimes taken pictures with that instead of the camera.

I have not compared side to side but it doesn't look to me like the Disney app is any different on the iPad, just bigger.

I was at the London 2012 Olympics and I saw a huge amount of people with iPads! I thought it was kinda cool - saves messing around with transferring the photos later on.

Having given it some thought im not going to take the iPad. If the new iPhone is not out before my trip ill just buy a half decent digital camera and ebay it when i get back home :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter