• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will my husband come around??

He may, he may not. My husband went on our first trip. He enjoyed dining at all the different restaurants, but he doesn't like people dressed up (if you get my drift) and he doesn't like rides, so while it was nice to get away for a while, he was kinda meh on the whole thing.

We've since gone once without him and are planning another trip without him. Now, my daughter is older, but it was definitely something he decided wasn't for him, but he wouldn't dream of stopping _me_ from going. :)

our first vacation to Disney (DH and I never went as kids) was with our kids age 3 and 6 months old. Our 3 year old's favorite movie was Cinderella she would watch the whole move as often as she could. Before the visit we weren't of the mind set that oh we HAVE to go or that we would return as often as we have. We thought it would be a lets go for DD with no plans on going again anytime soon. The only reason we went was because of our 3 year old's love of Cinderella and wanted to go while she still thought it was all "real"

That visit got us hooked on visiting WDW. Watching the look of wonder on her face when she saw Cinderella's castle, met Cinderella and the fairy godmother and her reaction to that was priceless. The next day when Cinderella saw her in Epcot she address DD by name and she ran up to her and they hugged. DD talked about Cinderella remembering her name for months after. If I were to do it all over I would do it in a heartbeat. My children are now 18 and 16 and DH and I still talk about that visit. WE remember and I wouldn't trade that memory for anything in the world

On an adult level we enjoyed the cleanliness of the theme parks, the attention to detail, the shows, etc much more than we ever thought we would, we really didn't have any expectations at all before visiting and were pleasantly surprised (this was before these boards existed)

We were definitely not commando, We went to the parks whenever everyone was ready, luck would have it that my kids were early risers. We only stayed past the parade time one day to see it (at MK) the other days we would leave after lunch and even when visiting other parks we took our cue from the kids and if we saw that they had enough we left and either took a nap, swam, etc. Sometimes we would return in the evening and sometimes we didn't. It it was one of our most relaxing visits to WDW

I agree with the others don't push DH and make it all about the kids and definitely do not go commando in the parks. See if there is something offered that would be something he enjoys and let him know about it, doesn't have to be something in the theme parks. It could be golf, fishing, etc

When we went the first time my husband and I were excited but honestly had no clue how much we would love it. Since then it's a goal to go once a year :) so he may be totally surprised by it.

My youngest was 3.5 the first time and almost 5 the second time and doesn't really remember a lot, like he can't tell me what his favorite ride or restaurant was but I wouldn't trade his little happy face during our trips for anything. I remember how much he loved it, how much he smiled and laughed and how many times all 3 of our boys told us thank you. Plus all the pics prove how many great memories we made and the kids can see those for years.

Ahh only 89 days until we are back in my happy place :) hope your family has lots of fun!

If he doesn't, I wouldn't try to force it on him. Either he will go and find out he was a little hasty in his assumption or he will go and tell you he still stands by what he said. I tend to agree with him that it is expensive considering your kid's ages....but on the other hand, your infant doesn't cost anything. Hopefully he will soften up when he realizes that your 3-year-old is having a great time and the family time is something you cannot put a price on. Either way, I would not expect too much, just in case..... ;)

My kids were 15 months and 4 years old for our first trip, 2 and 5 for our second. My dd that was 1 and 2 on those trips does not remember WDW but she had a great time on the trips and she enjoys stories and pictures from the trips. I had a great time with them!

My dh went on the first trip and I fell in love with WDW but he did not. He skipped the 2nd trip. I managed to get him to go on a Disney cruise last year and he complained every day leading up until the cruise. But, I have pictures of him smiling at WDW and on the cruise. :) I framed one last week.

He's not going on the next WDW trip I have planned 20 months from now. We are mixing things up. We are doing a no-kids trip to Florida this winter to attend a wedding. Maybe he will come on a future WDW trip again. Hopefully, but if not that is okay with me.

I can't say I've ever understood taking an infant to Disney. Our kids were seven and ten for our first trip.

Our 9 year old daughter loves watching the videos and seeing the pictures from her previous trips, especially the one when she was 15 months.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will stop talking to him about the trip. I just get so excited, especially reading these boards!:dance3: I've had my itinerary/touring plan done for weeks and weeks.
We usually take vacation every year since that's one of the things that's really important for us to do as a couple and now family. This trip is all paid for and he said it was okay before I booked everything.:confused3 And the toddler turns 3 the day we return home, so both kids are free.
I have a feeling when he sees our daughter hugging Mickey Mouse he will melt. When DD is happy, daddy is happy.

Sadly, your three year old probably wont remember it. I know my kids didn't start remembering their Disneyland trips until five. We did this big birthday party for my daughters 4th, she's 12 now, and says she only remembers small snippets of it, mainly from pics she sees. I know I'm the odd man out here, but my opinion is to wait until they are at least 5. That being said, since you are already booked, just go and have fun. Maybe just keep all the extras that you can spend money on for when they are older. Keep this one, swimming, light rides and getting the 3 yo used to characters. As far as your husband, mine is the same way. I have a routine: start planning, wait for a deal, bring it up when he is in a good mood, then drop it...... I have done 3 Disneyland, and 4 disneyworld trips this way. About 30 days before I start talking about it again. He is always super excited once he gets there, really he just enjoys seeing all of us have fun!

Have a great trip!

Last time we went my youngest was 4- she remembers more details than I do haha! (She's 8.5 now)

Going to Disney World in May without our daughter (18 months now) convinced my husband to take a second trip this fall and bring her with us.

I think your husband will come around, but definitely don't expect it to happen until you get there and have experienced it a bit.

My DH was a little unsure, he's not the type to get excited especially if it involves money. We took our 5,2,1 year olds to DL in February, they all had a good time, by day 2 DH was giddy and bouncing waiting in lines. We are going to WDW in October without the kids, and this time he's happy to help plan and is looking forward to mor TOT. Lol

My husband wasn't into it at first and now he likes it but doesn't love it. He however likes it enough to encourage me to buy DVC points. I think it is about all the memories from when our children were little.

I would never bring an infant but your 3 year old will have a blast and so will he. Coming from a 33 year old male.

our first trip my DH was dead set against us going. I went to the mat, and fought for it. At then end of the trip, he admitted it was good that we went and I made the right decision. It was mostly bill stress I think.
Since then, I pinch every penny I can and we have gone every year. My DH even said to me that he would seriously like to get AP's and go twice a year and he wants to buy into DVC.

He has seriously come around:rotfl2: So there is hope.

We also had a Grand Gathering and my DBIL did not like Disney, he had been and was just not a fan...well after me planning out the trip, and being strategic in our touring plan. When we returned that very DBIL bought into DVC!:goodvibes

I wish you a trip loaded with pixie dust, because I know it is hard when your husband is on the fence about a trip, but faith trust and pixiedust to your familypixiedust:pixiedust:pixiedust:

I don't know if your DH will come around or not. Like everything else in the world, some people like it (some people LOVE it!) and some people don't.

I LOVE WDW and my dream was to take my DS there when he turned 1. We did it and it was hard (had to pack and rent SO much stuff), but I enjoyed it (my DS just started to pull himself up to try to walk before we left so he did that all over the parks - the old Pooh playground, the queue rails. Plus we would walk around an empty WS while he napped. It was, honestly, the first time as a mom I was able to relax)

We kept going annually right after his birthdays in October - 2 was a good year, but, at 3, he became afraid of the dark rides and didn't even want to go on Pooh.

My DH never really enjoyed these trips. When he's on vacation, he wants to work out and sit by the pool. My DS and I still go to WDW at least once a year - it's a mommy and son trip now. He is 5 and he remembers SO much from these trips - I would say he remembers things starting from age 4. My DH goes on all other trips with us. He even went to Orlando with us in March, but we stayed offsite and I was able to get him to EP for a day because he likes Tokyo Dining in EP and walking around the BW.

It sounds like you want to go and I COMPLETELY understand that, but I don't think it's going to be an easy trip with a 3-year old and an infant. If it isn't easy or relaxing, I really don't know if he'll come around.

DH was skeptical before our first trip. What turned it around was my having a good plan and committing it to memory. If I had carried around a list of what to do in an order I would have driven him away, but I just got us to a recommended park around rope drop and steered us toward areas of the park in an order that avoided crowds. Then my DH likes thrill rides so I sent him through single rider lines and let him use my fastpasses... Learn about child swap before you go. We now hire kids note out for an evening too. $100 and we get a babysitter for a night. We use that to get an evening of big people rides together.

I didn't read all the replies so sorry if this is repeated.

He may/may not come around. Some people just don't like Disney. They'd rather be slowly tortured.

My DH is not a fan. Never will be. He will never "come around". But he goes, he puts on a happy face.

I had to learn that my over zealousness in planning out our trip, was part of what was making him miserable. He's more of a go with the flow, I'm more of a we have to do A, B, and C before we leave.

So somewhere in the middle we've found common ground and he actullay enjoys the trips more than he used to. He'd still be happy if I told him we never had to go again LOL.

So my best advice, just know what kind of guy he is and try to make it as enjoyable as possible. If he's laid back, I probably wouldn't overload him too much. If he'd rather have everything planned down to the last minute, then do that. KWIM?

My DH loved the 1st trip we took when my DS was 4 1/2. It was during Year of a Million Dreams and we went with two friends. My DS remembers everything about that trip. There was a lot of pixie dust and many special moments.
Since then we have gone several times, sometimes with DH and sometimes without. The last trip, he went on the Keys to the Kingdom Tour and I think it helped him to understand Disney a little more.
This year, at the end of September, we are going for 6 days for our 20th wedding anniversary without DS. We are going for the F&W Festival and I have planned a lot of "adult" things - pool time, V&A dining, massages, etc. I am hoping that will renew his interest in WDW. He is curious about going without DS. The only thing I involved him in was dining reservations. The rest of the trip I planned myself. He said he will be more excited about it the closer we get to going.
I think it's best to let him go at his own pace and not talk about it a lot. He knows I know what he likes and doesn't like and that I will plan the trip accordingly.

I'm super super excited for our first trip to WDW, but my husband is really down on the whole thing. He says it's too expensive, kids are too young, etc.:worried:
Do you think he'll change his opinion once we get there? Is this a common husband thing?
We have an infant and an almost 3 year old. Obviously the baby won't remember, but I know our toddler will enjoy it. I've done the research on the best stuff for kids and we're staying on site so we can swim when it's too hot. And we got a really good deal on the room, plus discount tickets from his work and SW discount with AAA. (We'd be in really good shape but for the plane tickets, but no way we'd drive 22 hours with little ones.)
At least when I said I want to go again when the kids are older, he softened a little...:yay:

Let me tell you my story. I came to my husband in February and suggested we do Disney this year instead of our normal Jersey shore beach vacation. He fought me tooth and nail. We have a daughter who will be 3 in October and a 12 year old son. He said that our daughter was too young! She would never enjoy it! It's too much! I kept telling him she would love it.

I had him call his cousin who lives in Florida and has a 3 year old son. They live near Disney and go a lot. She told my husband that our daughter would love it! My husband then called Disney and talked to a person at Disney customer service. My husband did not believe there was one ride she could go on.

He then fought me about money...I told him not to worry about it. We would be fine. Lo and behold, I got a promotion and a nice raise and there was the money.

Reluctantly and with an attitude my husband said FINE book the trip.

Well here we are, with less than a month to go and my husband is soo excited. We are going for 10 days/9 nights. He's doing so much research, found character meals, bought my daughter a ton of Disney princess toys, makes sure she watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse 24/7. He's planning out our days, what rides to go on. You are absolutely right...when DD is happy so is Daddy. Because for the last few months he has just been overjoyed in watching his Princess watch Mickey. He was almost in tears the day her dress came in the mail for our Breakfast with Cinderella. And he was like a kid in a candy store this week when her personalized Minnie backpack he ordered her arrived in the mail. So I can only imagine what he is going to do the moment she sees the Castle and he sees her big, bright blue eyes just widen.

So in a nutshell, yes, they can come around. I knew my husband would, it would just take some time. Best of luck to you! I'm sure he will go for it!

I didn't read all the replies so sorry if this is repeated.

He may/may not come around. Some people just don't like Disney. They'd rather be slowly tortured.

My DH is not a fan. Never will be. He will never "come around". But he goes, he puts on a happy face.

I had to learn that my over zealousness in planning out our trip, was part of what was making him miserable. He's more of a go with the flow, I'm more of a we have to do A, B, and C before we leave.

So somewhere in the middle we've found common ground and he actullay enjoys the trips more than he used to. He'd still be happy if I told him we never had to go again LOL.

So my best advice, just know what kind of guy he is and try to make it as enjoyable as possible. If he's laid back, I probably wouldn't overload him too much. If he'd rather have everything planned down to the last minute, then do that. KWIM?

This so me and DH 100%:)
HE will happily go to Universal all the time though, I think because it doesn't require any of the planning Disney does..Luckily I love it there too

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter