Will my DS's enjoy Disney?

ENSOCK

DIS Veteran
We are going to WDW for the first time ever. My DS's are 11 & 6. I am worried that they will not enjoy the trip for everything seems more princess related. Since I have never gone do I have to be worried? My DS6 does not like anything to do with girls. :rolleyes: He even refused to go to a (classmate) girl's birthday party. Thanks :bitelip:

I'm sure they will have a great time. We took an 11 and 13 year old and they had a blast, especially at MGM. My husband took them to ESPN on the boardwalk one night for a "guy's night" and at MK they rode splash mountain a million times. They'll be fine! There's plenty of things for everyone to do.

I think the boys will love it. Depending on your budget, good "boy" hotels are the Wilderness Lodge (ask for bunk beds), All Star Sports, Animal Kingdom Lodge.

While it may seem like princess overload, there is also a lot of boy stuff:
Magic Kingdom - Frontier land, Future land. Fantasy land has more of the girl or really young kid stuff.
MGM - Indiana Jones show; tower of terror; rock n roller coaster
Epcot - some rides, 6 yr old may be too short; countries will bore them.
Animal Kingdom - practically everything good for boys their age.

If you go to the Disney website you can take virtual tours of the hotels and parks to get ideas.

Dont forget the POWER RANGERS are at MGM. My Ds is 5 and is NUTS for them!

I bet your sons will love it! My sons are 8 and almost 6. The do not like anything for girls and they love WDW. We've been twice and we're going back in May. :thumbsup2

My sons love to ride all the rides. They also love the water parks. This will be our first trip to try Disney Quest, but they are very excited about it because their friends at school have told them about it.

It's actually pretty easy to avoid the "princess" things. Even when my son was 3 he would NOT have his picture taken with a princess. :teeth:

I agree with the previous poster that WDW has some cool hotels. We've stayed at All Star Movies and The Wilderness Lodge. This trip we're staying at Pop Century. My sons have been asking to stay at All Star Sports - it looks really cool. :sunny:

I hope you have a great trip! :wave2: Have fun planning.

My DS5 loves disney. Last time we went he was so ecited to see BUZZ! He took a ton of pics with him...the line was short. But, we were disappointed because Space Ranger Spin was closed, but he got to try out the Stitch ride and that came close to making up for it.
He was also heppy to get to hang out with Captain Hook! He spent about 10mins horsing around with him!
I wouldn't worry about it, there is so much for everyone to do, I don't see how anyone could not have a wonderful time in Disney...so magical :wizard: ! I hope that your trip is great!

We took our 2 DS's when they were 12 and 8 and the only time we even noticed any princesses was when we watched the show in front of Cinderella's castle and at a parade. And then it was just from afar -- no interaction or anything. We never even ran into a female character in 5 days. I think you're correct that the princesses get a lot more press than some of the other characters, but I wouldn't worry about it at the parks! :wave2:

Have a great time!!
-Dawn

Enjoy it while you can .They will be fine like the other have said plenty of MANLY stuff to do.

In a few years you will be on the Dis asking

HOW CAN I GET MY BOYS AWAY FROM THE PRINCESSES

I wish I knew more.. but I know they are doing a breakfast at MGM for boys. I think its with Woody and Buzz, a friend of mine is taking her boys there in December... let me see if I can find it.
Nope cannot find anything about it.. has anyone heard this????

There is plenty for boys at Disney!

My DS was 6 the first time we went... he had a blast! He stood in line to meet the characters, loved the shooting galery in Frontier Land, the Fort & caves on Tom Sawyer Island, Splash Mountain, Thundermountain Railroad, Space Mountian and Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin... I could go on and on.

Now he's 10, still loves the same stuff! I asked him recently if he thought he'd like to go again... "Are you kidding! I LOVE that place!"

The amazing thing to me is that at home he is all "I'm cool, I gotta impress everyone with how grown-up I am" but when we get to Disney he relaxes and is just a kid again! He will even wait in line to hug a character... I keep thinking he'll outgrow it, but he hasn't yet!

As for Princesses since we have no girls... I don't get to enjoy them as much as I'd like but I have to admit some of my favorite memories are of when "mr cool" was thrown a kiss, hugged or winked at by a princess... it's the only time I ever see him blush!

MGM also has Star Tours, a Star Wars simulated ride and a gift shop. DS & DD love this attraction. I think MGM is geared more to boys than the others with Star Tours, Indiana Jones, The car stunt show (can't remember the name of it). I think they'll have a great time. Look on the bright side, you can save $100+ not having to do the Princess breakfast :teeth: .

catherines_mama said:
I wish I knew more.. but I know they are doing a breakfast at MGM for boys. I think its with Woody and Buzz, a friend of mine is taking her boys there in December... let me see if I can find it.
Nope cannot find anything about it.. has anyone heard this????
The Woody and Buzz breakfast at MGM was scrapped.

My boys are 10 1/2 & 7 1/2 and they love Disney. We went twice last year and they are begging to go again SOON!! LOL

We've been going every year (except 3 times this year!!) since he was 6 & my DS8 loves it. He loves getting autographs, pin trading, everything!!

You will have a fantastic time!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter