• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will my boyfriend like the Magic?

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
This will be my first Disney cruise, but my boyfriend has been on both the Dream and Fantasy before. We are going on the Magic. Will he be disappointed in the ship because it's smaller and older than the ones he's been on? I want to make sure he has a good time.

This will be my first Disney cruise, but my boyfriend has been on both the Dream and Fantasy before. We are going on the Magic. Will he be disappointed in the ship because it's smaller and older than the ones he's been on? I want to make sure he has a good time.
We did 3 cruises on Dream and Fantasy before our first Wonder cruise, while I still like the Dream/Fantasy better, I certainly was not disappointed with the Wonder. Besides, if you really want to make sure he has a good time, it's not going to matter what ship you're on!

We prefer the classic ships. The Dream class are too big in terms of crowd size and too many are rushing to do "everything" on the shorter Dream sailings. The classics have been more relaxed experiences for us.

We have been on Dream and Magic. Kids prefer the Dream but DW and I prefer the Magic. We feel the trips are a bit more intimate on the Magic, if that's possible on a cruise ship. That said, I would be happy to be on any of them.

We prefer the Magic (although we're going on the Fantasy this December so that we can experience all four). Smaller and more intimate than the larger ships. Dining rooms are a little less chaotic and disembarking is faster on the smaller ships and there is less competition for the various tastings and some events. Rooms are slightly wider than on the Dream. I really noticed this when passing by the end of the bed. There's far less room between the bed and the wall on the Dream (and I presume on the Fantasy) than on the Magic. We really like the piano bar on the Magic and there isn't one on the Dream or Fantasy, though we liked Meridian on the Dream a lot.

We found lots of things that we like about the Magic versus the Dream and vice versa. You'll have slightly different experiences on each - neither better nor worse than the other - but may still have a preference at the end of the day. Our preference for the Magic may simply be that we've sailed on her more often than the others. I'm still looking forward to our cruise on the Fantasy. Just tell him to keep an open mind.

Most people will always compare THIS cruise to their FIRST cruise, and 9 of 10 the first WAS the best ..... if his only cruising has been Dream/Fant' then that's his "standard" and everything else is measured against (right or wrong)

DS did Magic/Wonder many times as a kid ... and later Magic in the Med for Honeymoon. Later sailed DREAM and was quite disappointed ... booked Magic for next cruise while on DREAM ....

Expect it ... try to work around it .... human nature ....

EVENTUALLY, some folks cruise on a lot of different ships/lines and have a broader base for comparison ... but that's not where you appear to be ....

Last edited:
Most people will always compare THIS cruise to their FIRST cruise, and 9 of 10 the first WAS the best ..... if his only cruising has been Dream/Fant' then that's his "standard" and everything else is measured against (right or wrong)

DS did Magic/Wonder many times as a kid ... and later Magic in the Med for Honeymoon. Later sailed DREAM and was quite disappointed ... booked Magic for next cruise while on DREAM ....

Expect it ... try to work around it .... human nature ....

EVENTUALLY, some folks cruise on a lot of different ships/lines and have a broader base for comparison ... but that's not where you appear to be ....

could be that's it..
but i found the dream to be too crowded...
i never encountered crowds on the smaller ships...
also, with the smaller ship, it was easier to get to know people....something that we like..

We just went on the Magic and I was unimpressed. I'm not observant and I noticed the stains in the carpets, rust in the porthole, not nearly as many people cleaning, especially in the bathrooms.
The size of the atrium was a huge difference. The Til We meet Again is not a party like the previous cruises. Just wasn't wowed.
People are different and a lot of people rave about the Magic. My husband and I did not care for it. Kids didn't care, they love any DCL cruise we do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter