• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will I regret cancelling my Tusker House and Sci Fi ressies?

debdreamsofdis

DIS Veteran
We are a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids ages 9, 7, 4 and 2) and are on the DDP. I had planned on paying out of pocket for Tusker House, Sci Fi, Le Cellier and Chefs de France since we're using 2 credits for both CRT and Hoop De Doo. I would love to keep all my ressies, however, we had an unexpected home repair come up, so I'm trying to trim my vacation budget down a bit. I've heard really great things about Tusker House and am kind of sad about dropping it, but at the same time, we are only spending one day in AK and we probably could use the extra time in the park. Also, we do have 2 other character breakfasts scheduled during our stay. My DH was excited about Sci Fi too, but again, we are only spending one day at DHS and I've read mixed reviews about it. I'd really like to keep Chefs de France and Le Cellier. Below are my scheduled ADR's. Would you make any changes in order to keep TH or Sci Fi??

Wed- Tusker House breakfast, 1 credit

Thur- Crystal palace breakfast, 1 credit
Cinderella's Royal Table dinner, 2 credits

Fri- le Chefs de France lunch (paying OOP)

Sat.- Sci Fi Drive In lunch (OOP)
Prime Time Cafe dinner 1 credit

Sun- Le Cellier dinner (paying OOP)

Mon- Hoop De Doo dinner 2 credits

Tues- Cape May Cafe breakfast 1 credit

Thanks for your advice!

We are a family of 6 (2 adults, 4 kids ages 9, 7, 4 and 2) and are on the DDP. I had planned on paying out of pocket for Tusker House, Sci Fi, Le Cellier and Chefs de France since we're using 2 credits for both CRT and Hoop De Doo. I would love to keep all my ressies, however, we had an unexpected home repair come up, so I'm trying to trim my vacation budget down a bit. I've heard really great things about Tusker House and am kind of sad about dropping it, but at the same time, we are only spending one day in AK and we probably could use the extra time in the park. Also, we do have 2 other character breakfasts scheduled during our stay. My DH was excited about Sci Fi too, but again, we are only spending one day at DHS and I've read mixed reviews about it. I'd really like to keep Chefs de France and Le Cellier. Below are my scheduled ADR's. Would you make any changes in order to keep TH or Sci Fi??

Wed- Tusker House breakfast, 1 credit

Thur- Crystal palace breakfast, 1 credit
Cinderella's Royal Table dinner, 2 credits

Fri- le Chefs de France lunch (paying OOP)

Sat.- Sci Fi Drive In lunch (OOP)
Prime Time Cafe dinner 1 credit

Sun- Le Cellier dinner (paying OOP)

Mon- Hoop De Doo dinner 2 credits

Tues- Cape May Cafe breakfast 1 credit

Thanks for your advice!

Tusker House is a really great buffet, but since you already have Cape May, I think you'll be fine just sticking with Cape May. Most of the offerings are the same, and you get almost the same characters.

You have a great selection of restaurants. Personally, I really loved Sci Fi. Its more about the atmosphere than anything else. Its A LOT of fun. The food is simple, but its delish. I loved their ribs, not fatty at all. Burgers and shakes are great too! You can always have lunch here but split orders to save $?? Thats a good option.

I personally dont think Le Cellier is worth 2 dining credits...not even 1 for that matter. Its far too over rated. if you want good steak, your better off going to a steak house in your hometown or even cooking it yourself. You'll get much better steak, IMHO. The cheese soup and bread is over rated as well, absolutely nothing special about it at all. (forgive me for giving the canadian restaurant a bad review, i am canadian afterall! haha :laughing:). ALTHOUGH, maybe I should just keep my trap shut as I havent tried their dinner since they changed it to a signature restaurant in March (lunch is still 1 TS credit btw.) But based on my experience for dinner 'before' it became 2TS, it wasnt all that great.

Ooops, sorry!! I realised now that you said you wanted to 'keep' le cellier! I misread your comment. My apologies. Enjoy your steak. Each restaurant is worth trying at least once, despite the reviews you get from ppl like me. :upsidedow

I would get rid of either HDDR or CRT or both. Instead of CRT have you tired Arkshurs. Or is it a must to eat in the castle. We prefer Arkshurs princess meal over CRT. Just a thought.
We try to only pay for one meal OP while in the dining plan. Ours is T-rex this year which is not on the plan.

Like PP this is just my opinion, but I would choose Sci fi over Prime Time. I just like the atmosphere better.

I would get rid of either HDDR or CRT or both. Instead of CRT have you tired Arkshurs. Or is it a must to eat in the castle. We prefer Arkshurs princess meal over CRT. Just a thought.
We try to only pay for one meal OP while in the dining plan. Ours is T-rex this year which is not on the plan.

I think thats a terrific idea actually. :thumbsup2 that would give you another TS credit to use.

I know you would be really sad if you had to cancel Tusker House Breakfast :)

But if its any consolation, if it's for a party of 5, on Wed Sept 28th , just sayin ' :goodvibes

Soooo funny when I saw this since we are going in December on the QS dining and paying 2 OOP.

Out of ALL the places that we have eaten on our past trips,
  • Le Cellier
  • O'hana
  • HDDR
  • CRT
  • 50's PT
  • Whispering Canyon
  • Tepan Edo
  • Chef de France
  • Cape may
  • Crystal Palace
  • Tusker House
  • Sci-Fi
the 2 that my family unanoumously wanted to back to this year are Tusker House breakfast and Sci-Fi. :rotfl:

Tusker House is sooooo much better for breakfast than Cape May (IMOH) plus if you can get an 8am ressie, you are in the park before the park opens.

Sci Fi has great burgers and onion rings and the atmosphere is soooo much better than 50's PT. (IMHO) BUT If you decide not to go to Sci-Fi to eat a meal, keep the ressie to just go in and enjoy the atmosphere with a sundae. They are big enough to share and that should make it more affordable. Just a thought.

Actually we have similar ADR's. Except for Le Cellier which we really did not like and thought was overated. My kids did not like Sci Fi at all. They thought the movies were either dumb or creepy and that it was too dark in there. I do like Tusker house but if I were you I would keep the ADR's as you have them. We really enjoy Prime Time..

I know you would like to keep Le Cellier, but it's really not all that fantastic. After my last time there (this past October) I don't plan to return, I can get better steak in several restaurants nearby. Plus, the kids would probably prefer either Tusker House or Sci Fi over Le Cellier.

We loved Hoop Dee Doo, it was a blast, especially for the kids. As a bonus, the beer and sangria are included. The jokes seemed pretty corny at first, but oddly enough, they got funnier after a few glasses of sangria. You have some really good choices. I am also a huge fan of Le Celier, but they are pricey. If you are a fan of filet, the mushroom wrapped filet is to die for, IMHO. The filet, and most of the bigger ticket items, are available for lunch, when the prices are lower for some other options, especially with the kids. While we love Tusker House, I think with Crystal Palace and Cape May, you will be fine for breakfast. As an FYI, Tusker House has a banging lunch buffet, and the afternoon at Animal Kingdom is a really good time to get out of the heat and into some nice, cool air conditioning. Lunch buffet is $20.99 for adults and $11.99 for kids. Sci Fi food is ok, but the real draw here is the atmosphere and the milkshakes. Maybe you could just chill out here and have a shake? Sci Fi is always our first day lunch, so that my DH won't go into milkshake withdrawal syndrome. We did CRT breakfast last year, and we were not terribly impressed with the food...but if your little ones are girls, and Princess fans, I think this is a must do. I have a son, but I saw about a zillion little girls light up like Christmas tress when those Princesses showed up, and that would have made it worth the $$ for me. But hey, that is just my opinion. Good luck!!!

I, too, would keep Sci-Fi. It's good and fun and not that expensive.

I would cancel CP, & keep TH. You already have an ADR in MK, plus we think TH is much better than CP. For the other, we haven't been to 50's, but thought Sci-Fi was a lot of fun & the burgers were great. We have been to HDDR. If you're not staying at FW or very close, I don't think it's worth the commute. It's okay, but it's really corny. Not exactly first rate entertainment. ;)

If by some chance you decide to keep them all, you will probably save money paying out of pocket for the Hoop Dee Doo and Le Cellier (or any of the signature restaurants). You can check out the menus to be sure, but usually, the one meal at the signature restaurants is cheaper than two meals at a non-signature restaurant.

Also, I, too, would stop by Sci-Fi at least for a quick milk shake or dessert or something. It is a neat atmosphere. It is the very best place I have found to purchase a drink with a glow cube in it, because you are in the dark and it really does look COOL! :cool1:

I completely agree with KELLY as well. I didn't care much for HDDR or CRT either. I much prefer Akershus and their buffet over CRT.
We do love Le Cellier; we've always been there for lunch. The atmosphere is a bit dark but we really enjoyed the food. I realize you're paying OOP for Le Cellier. Would the lunch menu be any less expensive? Of if you did cancel a dining plan reservation, maybe you could sub in a lunch at Le Cellier?
Honestly, I didn't care much for the food at Sci Fi but the atmosphere is pretty cool. It's worth checking out at least once.
I haven't been to Tusker House for breakfast, but I have for a early dinner. It was pretty good, but it didn't make our Top 5 WDW restaurants and don't have any plans to return for a few more vacations.
We love 50s Prime Time as long as you are able to get a decent server who gets into the whole charade.
The rest I can't comment on as we haven't been to them.
Good luck! Your choice won't be an easy one :-)

We ate at Tusker House last Friday, July 8. We were a party of 7. It was the worst restaurant I've ever been to at WDW. The food was fine, but the service was so bad that I complained to the manager (and I've NEVER done that at WDW!!!). I felt like since we were a party over 6, and the gratuity was going to be automatically added, the server didn't care about the quality of service. My 7 year old daughter asked for a glass of water, and the waiter said (very sarcastically), "there's a draught in Africa, I'm not sure I can find you any water". And then NEVER came back with water for her. She did not understand this and was very upset that she didn't get her water. Good thing I was carrying a bottle of water or she wouldn't have had anything to drink...she didn't like the special juice that they were serving.
I will not go back there, ever. I was offered a couple of fast passes after I complained, which hardly makes up for the poor quality of service.
My girls did enjoy the characters there, and it was pretty empty, so they got multiple visits from each character.
Cape May is my absolute favorite dinner buffet. We also did the Luau on this trip and won't do that again either. I've never done HDDR, it's on the agenda for next trip.
Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback, everyone. You have definately given me some options to consider. I really wish we had more time/money to go to every restaurant on our list, but something has to give. I guess not being able to get to every restaurant just gives us an excuse to come back again, right? :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter