Will I like Shades of Green?

Charleston Zurg

Mouseketeer
We are going to MVMCP for the first time December 15th and 17th. Recentley joined the Army Reserve so I am elgible to stay at SoG. Will I like it? Does it have the Disney feel? For the most part we have stayed at a Disney hotel. We just don't want to be disappointed if we don't stay at a Disney hotel. Please give me the advantages and disadvantages of this resort. We need to make a reservation soon and this is going to play a big part in where we stay.

thanks for the help.

::MickeyMo

You may be to late to make a reservation. If not grab it while you are thinking over your alternatives. It can be cancelled for a full refund 30 days prior to your trip.

SoG has a lodge type of feeling. It is smaller than most of the other resorts, only 600 rooms. It is a respite from the hustle bustle of the parks but with the advantage of closeness. It is a lovely resort but it is not owned by Disney and does not have a Disney feel so many people want.

We love it but I would stay at CR or Poly first if I had the cash. However I would always chose SoG over a moderate or value because of room size, cost, and proximity to MK.

We love Shades of Green, for the ammenities (size of room, valet parking, location) for the price we will stay there as long as we can get in. As much as I love the Deluxe onsite hotels, I just can't justify paying 3x as much as I would for SOG for a Mickey channel, Mickey Wake up call, and themed soap. But that is my .02.

I love the themeing of the disney hotels, but for me it comes down to the bottom line.

SOG has a nice pool (albeit no slide), it's very pretty, has it's own transportation (but we drive ourselves). A nice breakfast buffet, the rooms are large w/ wireless internet, and it's quiet, which is a nice change from the hustle and bustle of the parks

We love SOG. We stayed there twice this year. For the trip in June I asked my kids if they wanted to stay at AKL or SOG they picked SOG. The room are large and the beds are comfortable. They have Disney movies playing in lobby and transportation. The only think it is lacking is the Disney channel and the disney theme soap both of which I am willing to live without for a $200 a night savings. We found out on our last trip that there is a great view of wishes from the top of the parking garage. Why not do a split stay for your first trip and then if you do miss the Disney Feel you still have the rest of the week at a Disney resort.

It's been a while since I've stayed at SoG but I'd like to add my comments as well:

As mentioned all ready, the rooms are large. I believe I read somewhere that they are the largest standard rooms on Disney property. We had a baby with us when we last stayed and there was plenty of room for the fold out playpen. There is a large sitting area and I believe most rooms have a private balcony. The price is phenomenal! When we went last it ran about $59 a nite. It is not *dineyfied* but it is still nice, spacious, clean, and somewhat modern. The staff is extremely nice. There is a good size convient shop downstairs. I should warn you however, unless things have changed, there is only one bus route...and that's to the TTC. Unlike the Disney hotels, there is no direct route...you go to the TTC then make your way from there. As slow as Disney transportation can be sometimes, this "extra leg" can add an exasperating amount of time to your travels.

There also used to be a little snack cart out front by the bus stop. We would always stop there to grab a coffee/danish/doughnut/muffin while waiting for the morning bus. Very convenient, inexpensive, and TASTY! I should also warn you to beware of the dining room. We ate their buffet one night for dinner b/c we were impressed with the menu and price. I am not a pickey person, especially when I feel I'm getting a good deal, but the food was terrible and the service worse. Another poster said breakfast was good...probably cause its a lot harder to screw up breakfast.

The bottom line is do you want the disney convienice and perks without the price tag or are you most interested in the full blown *neverland* feel at any cost? My family will be staying in a disney hotel for the first time this Dec. (not my first time, however). I want them to have the neverland experience so we'll be staying in the ALL STARS MOVIES....the hotel I've heard is the most DISNEY of them all. It wouldn't be my first choice, but since my kids are still young this is the time *immerse* them. When they're a little older and disney is not so much about the icons/characters, then we'll consider places like WL and POR/POFQ. I just don't they'd appreciate it as much (and why spend the extra money if that's the case?)

I vote for SOG... We stayed there last Feb. And we loved it. We have two children and they did not know the difference. We walked to Poly and took the monorail. The bus survice had some kinks that I hope they worked out. I did not miss the Mickey soap or Disney channels, the price of our stay was well worth it. If I could stay there again I would, (we were guests). If you need to spend more money for Mickey soap, go right ahead... IMHO you will be missing out on SOG. At least if you do go and stay at a moderate, go and get your tickets at SOG and take a look to see what it has to offer. Have a great time where ever you stay!! :flower:

We just returned from a quick weekend at SoG yesterday, and had a great time!

We also frequent the garage roof for Wishes- you don't get the music, but you get most of the fireworks. The ones close to the ground you can see the tops of.

In fact- we'll be back there in a couple of weeks for a slightly longer weekend. They offered a 'come back' rate, and we took them up on it.

Remember, your trip is what you make of it. If you expect to enjoy yourself, you will!

Have fun!

I haven't said anything particulary bad about SoG...for the price and convience one really can't complain. So what has changed...the food or the transportation....those are the only things I think needed imporvement. I DEFINATELY would NOT be opposed to going back......alas....we went civilian a year ago! It's no longer a *privilege* for me. :sad2:

DisneyFreq said:
I haven't said anything particulary bad about SoG...for the price and convience one really can't complain. So what has changed...the food or the transportation....those are the only things I think needed imporvement. I DEFINATELY would NOT be opposed to going back......alas....we went civilian a year ago! It's no longer a *privilege* for me. :sad2:
Well, for starters, they more than doubled the size of the resort, the old dining room is now a store and ticket office, the old entrance doesn't exist, they've added a parking garage, added a lake or two out back along with some nice paved trails for walking, added a few bus routes, added 2 new restaurants, added a big new lobby with tv for the kids and lots of places to relax.... It REALLY IS a whole new resort! ::yes::

(Oh, and the rates are no longer such a deal if you're in the highest price bracket and are used to AP rates at other resorts :( But it's still a little bit of a deal....and a great deal for anyone in the other brackets.)

I haven't said anything particulary bad about SoG...for the price and convience one really can't complain. So what has changed...the food or the transportation....those are the only things I think needed imporvement. I DEFINATELY would NOT be opposed to going back......alas....we went civilian a year ago! It's no longer a *privilege* for me.

Sorry Shannon, I just meant you might like to look at the new website. The place has really changed. It also has free internet service in the lobby, a great workout room, paths to walk on, a little quick snack shop, ....As kadaten said it is really a whole new resort. :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter