Will I be disappointed in BWV

lkg61

Earning My Ears
We are currently booked at the GF for nine nights in May/June of this year. We LOVE the GF, and to be honest, it is the only place I have stayed in my 12 trips to WDW. Originally, it was just going to be myself and three kids (7, 16, 17). Now my husband will be joining us for our last five nights. I've been looking into changing our ressies for those last five nights to a two-bedroom villa at the BWV. Here are my problems: (1) Will I hate staying at BWV with parking lot views? (2) Is transportation a hassle, or is it actually easier to get around with the varied options available? (3) And last, I think the teenagers will love this location. Am I right in thinking this?

By the way, this is a graduation gift for my son. I want him to have a great trip with his friend who has NEVER been to WDW. I don't want him to be disappointed in the change of resorts.

Thanks!!

Having stayed at the GF and the BWV, I really think transport from BWV is MUCH MUCH better then GF.

I don't find the monorail easy for ANYTHING but MK. From BWV you can walk to both Epcot and MGM or take the boat. The bus drops you at the FRONT of MK and AKL. The villa is great, the pool is nice and the area is much more "grown up" for your 17 year old.

Haven't stayed at the villas, but we love the BWI! We think it is a great location, being able to walk into International Gateway at Epcot or a little longer walk to MGM. Or you can take a Friendship boat to either. The rooms are very pretty, the resort has an elegant but fun atmosphere. There was lots to see along the Boardwalk on weekend nights and we love strolling around it. Lots of restaurant choices too. My teens love it there.

The monorail is great too. GF is beautiful. The only thing I could see you missing is housekeeping ~ don't the villas only get housekeeping once a week or so?

If you rent from Disney you get daily housekeeping. DVC members get more limited housekeeping.

I don't think you will be disappointed but it's not the Grand Floridian, of course some would say that's a good thing. :confused3

BW has great transportation and location to MGM and Epcot; but not so to AKL and MK.

Grand Floridian has great transportation to MK and Epcot; but not as good to MGM and AK.So I would call it a draw on transportation.

As to theme and service I personally think Grand Floridian wins, but others will disagree, as it is all one's opinion based on experiences there.

The food choices are better for us at the Grand, mainly in part due to Gaspirilla's. BW does not have a quick fast food area.

Both are great but for the area I prefer the Yacht Club or Beach Club Villas.

As to the appeal to your 17 year old, every August Price Waterhouse Cooper brings over 700 College Interns to WDW and they always stay at the Grand Floridian. Why, that is where they want to stay. :thumbsup2

As a parent of two teens,,,you will be so happy with your choice. Do you realize your kids can walk to Epcot or MGM....just a stones throw away.
Also, ESPN is on the boardwalk along with a bakery, pizza place and general store.
Teens will just love this and so will you.
BWV give you a full kitchen as well as a W/D...view is spectacular.

our family will stay no where else.

if kids were 7 or less I would definitely tell you to stay at GF, but once you stay at BW, you will be totally hooked.

Have dinner in the Yachtsman Steakhouse..great place ...great bar too!
Also, flying fish is great restaurant ...
so many places to choose

trust me you will not be disappointed

The only advantage at all to staying at the GF would be the monorail to the MK.

You will be amazed at the spaciousness and amenities of a 2 bedroom villa.

There are more restaurants within walking distance from the BW then anyplace else in WDW.

BW transportation options are much better than GF. You can walk to Epcot or MGM. Busses to MK will be a bit longer, but the AK is a short bus ride away. Also DTD is a short bus ride away. The bus rides from the MK resorts can be almost unbearable to other parts of WDW, esp DTD.

You can't go wrong staying at an EPCOT resort. The only way I would stay at the GF, or any other MK resort, would be if I had very young children and was planning on spending the vast majority of my vacation at the MK.

I've never stayed at GF, so I don't know how to compare, but we stayed at BWV May 2005, and It was great!! We loved all the extra activities available along the Boardwalk. The public areas are very nice and our villa was as well. I liked having a kitchen and W/D. The balcony was also a nice touch. Our villa was a standard view, but still quite nice, not just an asphalt jungle. The transportation was great for epcot or MGM--just walk! It took a while to get to AK and MK. If you have teens there's a lot of activites available and you will also have extra floor space with a villa. O Yes, the pool is so themed and fun with a great slide. There is a community center with a quiet pool, games, ping pong, popcorn, etc. Renting points from a DVC owner can save over half price instead of renting from Disney, However you only get trash and towel service on day 4. I'm not sure but I think a week's rental gets a cleaning.

Thanks everyone!! I think you made my decision sooo much easier. We will now split our stay between the GF and the BWV--the best of both worlds!!!

CarolA said:
Having stayed at the GF and the BWV, I really think transport from BWV is MUCH MUCH better then GF.

I have to ditto this. GF used to be my dream resort. Hubby took me there for an anniversary trip and it was nice, but IMHO it wasn't the boardwalk. I actually felt if fell a little short of the service we've recieved at the BWV. For instance when we stay at BWV and order room service, the CM comes in and sets a beautiful table unless we ask them not to. At the GF I ordered room service one morning and my food was just dropped off. Our room at the GF was much noisier than the BWV. At the BWV you'll be able to spread out (and may not be able to go back to a regular room again). We just came back from the Poly last week and my kids really missed the room we have at the BWV. Oh and the view is not a big deal. How much are you in the room really? Also, we've had parking lot views and have still been able to see the fireworks at EPCOT. But bar that, hang out on the boardwalk to watch them, then go to your room if you are concerned. BWV is our family's favorite resort bar none. :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter