Will going by myself be boring and lonely?

aVASTGrl, you will be okay. :) I've done WDW solo often, and it has made me become more sociable in public places. I feel very comfortable talking to other guests waiting in line.

I've also done Universal solo quite a bit. I think it's just as solo-friendly as WDW. They have several single rider lines for rides.

I enjoy the flexibility of going solo, seeing the things that I want to see, and taking my time.

I've done a solo day here and there and absolutely loved it and I'm the type of person who doesn't like to do anything alone. There was way too much to do to get lonely. I CANNOT wait to do a whole solo trip to Disney. Go and have a blast! I'm jealous. I'm certain my family will try to have me committed at that point though, so I'm not going to tell them.

omg I think it would be so much fun to go solo! You can do whatever you want, whenever you want!

I love going solo because you make all of the decisions. If you want to ride Haunted Mansion back to back, you do it. Its allot of freedom and you have to go into it as this is your day. I sometimes talk to people on lines but usually I am too busy enjoying myself. I wasnt sure how I would feel going the first time by myself but I loved it. Its kind of like going shopping by yourself or going to the mall. You dont feel lonely then and there are less fun things to do there. I sometimes go with friends and like that too but I really feel like I get more things done by myself.

I really don't think going solo would be boring or lonely.. Many people I've talked to that always go solo say those trips have been the best they've ever had to wdw. I cannot wait for my first solo trip in September.. I am not nervous about it, I have been waiting for a trip like this for a long time. Its going to be so relaxing doing what I want to do when I want to do it. No one to wait on in the morning or at all for that matter. you will enjoy yourself! :)

I've gone solo 5 times in the past and those were the BEST trips to disney!

think about it: you're doing what only YOU want to do!!

love the trips with DH and DS, but solo???!! - HEAVEN!! :cloud9:

went all 5 trips during F&W - no ADRs made

aside from the continuous phone calls from DH, DS and my sister

(all worried that i was bored and lonely - NOT!!!)

those were good times - found myself sitting and people-watching a lot

took a lot of photos, sat a lot more - just did what I wanted to do!!!

Thanks to all of your wonderful posts, I think I am actually going to go solo! I never imagined that I would ever go on a vacation by myself; however, I can't think of a better place to start than Disneyworld.pixiedust:

I think Disney is a great solo trip, because there are so many people there solo for so many different reasons, that no one thinks about it twice. I've never felt awkward spending time on my own there. I usually do 3-4 ten day WDW trips per year, and a weekend here and there, and they are almost exclusively solo.

I have also gone solo to Europe, and had a great time. I get six weeks of vacation per year, and most of my friends and family get one or two, so it's hard to find traveling companions who can take the time. So long as you are comfortable doing things solo in everyday life, you'll be fine.

As to whether you'll be bored or lonely, that is entirely up to you. I can be alone and not be lonely, and there are so many activities at WDW that there isn't enough time to do them all. It's all in the attitude :thumbsup2! I like to just put my cell phone in the room safe and totally disconnect from the outside world and enjoy Disney.

I did my first solo in 2001 and partially out of fear of being lonely I booked two long tours (KTTK and Undiscovered Epcot) and later regretted doing this, especially the boring, Undiscovered Epcot one!

No way did I get enough time in the parks on my own as I needed during those five days!!! Yes, it felt a bit strange at times not being able to turn to DH or DS and point out something but overall I had a wonderful time and found myself chatting more with people in lines and on the buses than I ever do when the family is along. I got to go into stores and exhibits they never want to visit and that's exactly what I plan to do next week. My people 'contact' came from unexpected chances to help with questions in the parks and to take pictures for people and to help entertain fussy children in a line. I like to carry a few extra trading pins (I don't trade myself any more) to give to kids who are well-behaved too!

Most trips I drag behind my family because I want to take multiple pictures of things and explore and now I can keep myself busy forever!

I can't tell you the last time in our 10 family trips that we rode on the railroad or went into the Tiki Room but I'm going to both this trip! I'm also climbing the Swiss Family Treehouse and seeing the Hall of Presidents and into the Mexico Pavilion and the shows at MGM.

You won't get bored or lonely if you truly like Disney World!

I done two solo trips over the last two years. During Bike Week at Daytona, have left there and spent two days each time at WDW. I really enjoyed being there solo. My wife doesn't understand, but I love to get a cold beer and people watch.

You eat when your hungry, walk when you need to change venues, and go at your own schedule. My last trip I managed to walk between Epcot and Hollywood Studios two times in one day!

Go, enjoy, you won't be sorry. :dance3:

Oooh, I just went on my first solo trip last month and it was great! Like previous posters have said, it is so nice to be able to check off all of my own "must dos" instead of making sure everyone else is happy.

I was aprehensive about dining alone, so I did Hoop Dee Doo and Dining with an Imagineer. Both of which I highly recommend. However, by the second day I had no problem eating by myself, in fact it was nice to just sit, people watch and enjoy my food.

I also did a couple of tours, KTTK and Wild Africa Trek and didn't feel uncomfortable at all being a single.

I thought the most interesting thing was that nearly every time I was talking to someone while there and telling them that I was by myself, their response was "Oh, I'm so jealous! That must be so much fun, I would love to do that!"

I'm taking my first solo trip this October and I don't remember the last time I was this excited about a vacation! I can't wait to be able to do exactly what I want, when I want to do it!

Went by my self in 2008 and definitely wasn't bored or lonely. You are not stupid or wasting your money going by yourself. In fact Im saving up to go on my second solo trip to Disney World. If u have any questions just ask me.

It is awsome and relaxing. can go to bed and get up when you want eat where you want and when you want and shop or tour on your own time. you will find you talk to more people and I made some long time friends that I met in Germany as they seat all guest in groups and at first was not thrilled with this but turned out was so much fun.. also had great time and good meal in Japan sitting with others. then did all the resort gift shops some taking the monorail and some just changing buses at DTD and go to each resort to look around. then can go to DTD and shop and I took hot air ballon ride.

When I went solo in December the reaction I got from others (family, friends and strangers) was either:

Oh my gosh, that sound horrible. Won't you be miserable? That just sounds miserable! You'll be so lonely!!

and

Oh my gosh, that sounds WONDERFUL! I'm so jealous.

When I got there, it was a blast. Even dining out wasn't weird. The cast members are mostly all friendly.

Best times I had were on the tours I was able to book. I figured I should do those now when I'm alone and experience them instead of in the future when I might find someone who also wants to go on them and pay for them. On those I was able to meet people who were also touring alone, people who have previously traveled alone but were currently with someone, and just couples or families from around the country.

It was so much fun - I can't wait to go back!

After reading this thread I'm fired up! I want to go to WDW so bad and no one I know wants to go. So I decided I would go solo. I'm just starting to plan my trip, figuring out when to go, where to stay and how long. All of my friends will think it's strange because they don't like to travel alone. But I love to! I'm going to make my plans and if one of them decides to join me they can do so. If not, I might even enjoy it more! Actually 2 different friends have plans to go at different times, and invited me to join in their plans, but I declined, saying thanks, but no thanks (their dates, etc. didn't work for me).

This is my 2nd post and I'm so glad I found this board to help me with my plans. Was going to go for about 4 or 5 days, now I'm thinking 7 or 8!!!

One question I haven't found the answer to yet... What is a "PIN"?

Precious Disney said:
After reading this thread I'm fired up! I want to go to WDW so bad and no one I know wants to go. So I decided I would go solo. I'm just starting to plan my trip, figuring out when to go, where to stay and how long. All of my friends will think it's strange because they don't like to travel alone. But I love to! I'm going to make my plans and if one of them decides to join me they can do so. If not, I might even enjoy it more! Actually 2 different friends have plans to go at different times, and invited me to join in their plans, but I declined, saying thanks, but no thanks (their dates, etc. didn't work for me).

This is my 2nd post and I'm so glad I found this board to help me with my plans. Was going to go for about 4 or 5 days, now I'm thinking 7 or 8!!!

One question I haven't found the answer to yet... What is a "PIN"?

I know exactly how you feel! I am a recent solo traveler. I have held my love for Disney in for years because I know my friends wouldn't understand! Last April I decided to make plans for a solo trip and then see if anyone wanted to join. No one was able to come with so I went for 4 days all by myself! It was amazing and I plan on going again next year for 5 or 6 days! I kept myself pretty busy and only really got lonely at night when I was in my room by myself. I did eat at table service restaurants by myself which at first was awkward but then I told myself to just get over it! You will have so much fun! If you need any help planning or have any questions feel free to message me!!!

And a PIN is a code you can either get in the mail or via email. It is a discount offer usually for a percentage off of your room or free dining! I have only gotten one and I think it was from requesting the vacation planning DVD. So try that out! :)

Thanks for the info on the PIN. I figured as much. I ordered the DVD awhile back, so I guess I need to find that packet and see if there's anything in there that I did not pay attention to. So looking forward to reading posts on DIS. I love to cruise and I always read posts on cruise critic prior to booking and sailing and just LOVE doing that. On cruise critic they have a "Roll Call" board, where you can meet people that will be going on the same cruise that you are going on. If DIS has something like that I haven't seen it yet. So much to ck out. It's a fun way to meet people, whether solo or not.

Hope you have a great trip next year....

I do Disney alone as well. It may be intimidating only if you let it become that way. Stop, look and talk.....you will have so much fun you will forget you are alone.

WOOHOO! Made my reservations for October. I'm going for it and I can't wait!!! :cool1: Do not plan on being bored or lonely whatsoever. Just praying that between now and then no one asks to go with me. Sure don't want to hurt their feelings by telling them I'd rather go solo... :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter