Will Dumbo still feel like Dumbo?

Disney Dolls

Mom of 4
Anyone else think that Disney should leave the classic Dumbo ride alone? I have pictures of me as a little girl riding Dumbo, and now my own kids. I think Dumbo should remain the same ride in the same location! With all the new movies and characters can't Disney think of something else?

:dumbo: Will it still feel the same?

From what I can see, it will still be the same ride. Aren't they just moving it and then building around it? I don't think there any changes to ride itself they are just expanding it's surroundings.

As far as I can see, on the concept drawings it does look the same. It just looks like they're building a whole carnival-type thing around it... :confused3

The ride will be the same they aren't changing it. It will be in a different location but I don't think that will take the excitement away for the kids about riding Dumbo. I am looking forward to riding it with my Granddaughter in a few years!

We can then engage in long threads discussing
WHICH Dumbo ride (left or right) is the most "fun."

(Just like discussing which "side" of Space Mountain is the most thrilling.)

:goodvibes

The ride will stay the same, but the location will be changed. Instead of being out in the middle of Fantasyland among other rides (and under the hot sun!), it will be in a circus-themed tent to more accurately match the movie Dumbo. Plus, it will be shaded and covered so that if it's really hot or raining, Dumbo can still be enjoyed. I guess you'll miss the view of the castle as you ride, but boy ... I'm looking forward to standing in line less (because there will be two rides) and not getting totally sunburnt or rained on in the process!

It will be the same Dumbo ride you remember, only better! :dumbo:

:earsboy:

I would like to see them rotate in opposing directions, then you could actually get a different ride on each. As it stands, all 3 similar spin rides (Dumbo, Triceratops Spin and Aladdin) rotate counter-clockwise.

I would like to see them rotate in opposing directions, then you could actually get a different ride on each. As it stands, all 3 similar spin rides (Dumbo, Triceratops Spin and Aladdin) rotate counter-clockwise.

Then, we'll end up with the same problem we have now.

They are doubling the capacity of Dumbo by adding a second "twin" ride.

But, if they are truly (and intentionally designed to be) "different,"
then everybody will have to ride BOTH Dumbo rides
and BOTH queues will still reach into last week. ;)

I believe that bigger isn't always better. There is something magical in Dumbo's simplicity that I feel may be lost. :dumbo:

I believe that bigger isn't always better. There is something magical in Dumbo's simplicity that I feel may be lost. :dumbo:

Why do you think that Dumbo will be "bigger" or more complex?

I'm thinking that surrounding it with "carnival" scenery, making the surroundings more like a Dumbo-style circus, will only add to it.

I think the wait will be less painful. How is that a bad thing, to be more entertained as we wait to ride the ride? What is there to do in the existing queue other than stare at the people you're crammed in there with?

We can then engage in long threads discussing
WHICH Dumbo ride (left or right) is the most "fun."

(Just like discussing which "side" of Space Mountain is the most thrilling.)

:goodvibes
It's inevitable isn't it? :rotfl2:

i've seen the drawings and love it - to me dumbo always looked like it was plopped there with no rhyme or reason.

what they have planed for now makes it look like you're actually going to the circus like in the movie.

i can't wait to see it finished.

Dumbo is by no means my favorite ride, but to me it is always in the same spot, and outside. It's not going to ruin my trip with it being moved and sort of "inside", but I think it will definitely feel like a different ride.

But the ride itself is not changing. It will be the exact same ride. It will just be in a new location, with a more entertaining queue and a larger capacity.

:confused3

Being in a tent means Dumbo can operate rain or shine. Even without rain delays, Dumbo today accommodates fewer than 10,000 guests all day while the may be as many as 100,000 guests passing through the park that day if not all there at the same time.

Even around the turn of the last century, when amusement parks were first being built, many rides were inside buildings for weather protection and in some cases year 'round operation in colder climates.

I would like to see someone come up with a non-circular carousel, for example your horse or elephant goes along both sides and around the ends of an L or C shaped wall. Just like some airport carousels. This would allow for a higher capacity ride. Yes they did make carousels where the horse was lifted from below as opposed to from above. One thing they would have to get down pat is stopping the carousel with the horses in the same positions where they started, so the kids would not have to run all the way to the other side to find their parents.

Disney hints: http://www.cockam.com/disney.htm

But the ride itself is not changing. It will be the exact same ride. It will just be in a new location, with a more entertaining queue and a larger capacity.

:confused3

Dumbo_BIG_NEW.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter