Will Disney give "nutritional values" on its foods?

kandb

DIS Veteran
I was just wondering if there is anywhere to get nutritional information on Disney foods in their restaurants. Almost all chain restaurants have the nutritional values of their foods on their websites. Does Disney do that? I think it would be a good idea if they don't. Wonder if I can request it?

No they don't. Ingredients change, brands change and there is no way to keep up with the sheer volume of it all to give a correct and actual nutritional information

Personally, I think that's ridiculous. They are a huge multi-million dollar company and can afford to get this information to their customers if they wanted to. Their menu's are "very" limited. Most chains do this and their menu's have many more items on them.

They probably can if you ask but not everyone wants to know, so I appreciate not seeing it unless I ask... After all it's vacation I watch what I eat all yr long.. Lol

ASMU/POR Dec 16-22, 2012 & CR Sept 8-15, 2013

I'm not sure about the US but I am from Canada and it is illegal not to have nutritional information available to customers.

I'm not sure about the US but I am from Canada and it is illegal not to have nutritional information available to customers.

In the US, restaurants do not have to make this disclosure, only fast food chains with more than 20 locations - so even WDW QS would be exempt. Chain restaurants might now be included after ACA, but that still wouldn't affect Disney since each restaurant only has one location

I was just wondering if there is anywhere to get nutritional information on Disney foods in their restaurants. . .

1) Not unless it becomes law.
2) And, WDW gives away a lot in political contributions.
3) Don't hold your breath fro disclosures.

OP- do you mean a list of ingredients because you have allergies/dietary restrictions? Or do you mean a breakdown of calories, sugar, sodium, protein, etc?

I've heard you can get a list of ingredients - but not the latter. I think it would cost Disney a lot of money to get that for all it's menus - And honestly probably only a small percentage of guests really would use that info. I eat like 1200 calories a day and track everything and I can't wait until I get to Disney because I'm not going to take a break from that for a whole week.

If you really want to know- you could use myfitnesspal.com and just break down the items to try to get a close estimate. Like look up all beef hot dog, wheat bun, 1tbs mustard, etc.

I just checked the site and they have the nutritional info for a Disney Dole Whip!

I mean I would like to know the calorie content, how much fat is in the dish etc. Believe me, I am not a fanatic about what I eat, but I would look at the menu's beforehand because if you are not making something yourself, the chef could be putting in 5 tbsp. of butter into a dish and you wouldn't even know it. My father died of a heart attack at 42 years old, so I try to watch what I eat. I know it's only for a week but I would still like to know, so I could choose what the best thing to eat.

I believe it's required by law in California, I'll check when I'm at DL in August.

I mean I would like to know the calorie content, how much fat is in the dish etc . . .

1) Disney does not like to publish such.
2) In most cases, YOU don't want to know.
3) As an example:
. . . Be Our Guest, Croque Monsieur (grilled ham and cheese sandwich)
. . . 2225mg Sodium
. . . that is a whole day's sodium for a healthy grown man *
. . . in ONE sandwich, without drink, dessert, sides
4) Many of WDW dishes are filled with added sodium, to make them taste better.
5) The steaks at Le Cellier are a good example of 1½ times the daily reqmnt.

* Healthy grown man is 2300mg per day. African American or any adult
with diabetes, kidney disease, high blood pressure should be no more than
1500mg. For children recommended is 1200mg-1500mg daily.

Thanks everyone. I guess I am just surprised. We live 20 min from NYC and the mayor there actually tried to outlaw ordering a "large" soda with your meals, this is after it is disclosed how many calories are in it etc. He wanted to make it "illegal" to order large sodas. Now that, I think is extreme but I do think the information should be available to customers. I think the Southern states laws are a little more lax.;)

Even if they don't offer the nutritional information, you can still make wise choices based on knowledge of food. For example, I will order salmon at a restaurant over a steak because I know it's healthier. Many of the CS restaurants offer some type of healthier option. For example, Columbia Harbor House offers a humus, broccoli slaw, and tomato sandwich on whole grain. I know that's far healthier than the fried fish basket with fries that they also serve. You can also get carrot sticks, grapes, apple slices, etc. instead of the fries at many of the CS places. I know that's not a perfect way of choosing what you eat, but you can still make wise choices.

If it helps, you can go to allears.net and look at their menus beforehand. it will give you an idea of what the various restaurants serve so that you can choose a place that offers healthier options.

The lunch at Be Our Guest is the only restaurant I have seen that is offering nutritional information. I hope they expand that. The link is below. You can select "show detail" next to the item or scroll done to see the entire nutritional chart.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/be-our-guest-restaurant/menus/lunch/

At least after seeing this I know that the only thing I could order would be the potato leek soup or the tuna salad.

No they don't. Ingredients change, brands change and there is no way to keep up with the sheer volume of it all to give a correct and actual nutritional information

Do you think a corporation the size of Disney would serve any food without knowing it's exact nutritional information? They know, bout choose not to disclose.

Rules and Regulations regarding food are not the same across the country or even in NYS. NYC has it's own rules and requirements for just about everything (whether food related or not). The rules you describe do not necessarily apply across NYS. I live in Rochester, NY and the things you are describing the mayor trying to enforce in NYC do not apply here in Rochester. Many of the chain restaurants in my area do list nutritional information on their menus, but some don't and most of the independent restaurants don't.

Even if they don't offer the nutritional information, you can still make wise choices based on knowledge of food. For example, I will order salmon at a restaurant over a steak because I know it's healthier. Many of the CS restaurants offer some type of healthier option. For example, Columbia Harbor House offers a humus, broccoli slaw, and tomato sandwich on whole grain. I know that's far healthier than the fried fish basket with fries that they also serve. You can also get carrot sticks, grapes, apple slices, etc. instead of the fries at many of the CS places. I know that's not a perfect way of choosing what you eat, but you can still make wise choices.

If it helps, you can go to allears.net and look at their menus beforehand. it will give you an idea of what the various restaurants serve so that you can choose a place that offers healthier options.

:thumbsup2 I am sure there are plenty of fruit and salad options if you know where to go.

Many of the chain restaurants in my area do list nutritional information on their menus, but some don't and most of the independent restaurants don't.

I don't see the problem with requiring all restaurants to supply this information, since it's already a federal law that ALL processed foods sold in the United States are required to have a nutritional label. Fresh foods don't require a label.

If you are the chef, you know that if you are serving FRESH chicken it will contain 100mg of sodium. You also know that if you are serving processed chicken, (like Disney and most all restaurants do), it will contain 1,000 mg of sodium.

The only way an educated consumer can determine whether a food is fresh and healthy is to view the nutritional information. When eating out, it's impossible to know if the food is fresh or processed. That's the problem.

The only reason for a restaurant to avoid supplying nutritional information, is because they are selling bad, unhealthy food and they don't want you to find out about it. Otherwise, the restaurant would display their nutritional information like a badge of honor.

1) Disney does not like to publish such.
2) In most cases, YOU don't want to know.
3) As an example:
. . . Be Our Guest, Croque Monsieur (grilled ham and cheese sandwich)
. . . 2225mg Sodium
. . . that is a whole day's sodium for a healthy grown man *
. . . in ONE sandwich, without drink, dessert, sides
4) Many of WDW dishes are filled with added sodium, to make them taste better.
5) The steaks at Le Cellier are a good example of 1½ times the daily reqmnt.

* Healthy grown man is 2300mg per day. African American or any adult
with diabetes, kidney disease, high blood pressure should be no more than
1500mg. For children recommended is 1200mg-1500mg daily.

Actually...;)

Cardiologists are in a forever dispute with the AHA because Cardiologists would like the guidelines to state less than 1500mg/day of sodium for an adult. This is ideal for a healthy heart.:love:

:flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter