• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Will DCL ever let 4 people stay in a cabin meant for 3?

:confused3 Why are you making this out to be a CMs problem? You are expecting someone with a higher pay grade to bend the rules and do a special head count, removing the possibility for another guest to stay in a stateroom with your same muster station because you want don't want to follow the rules?
Lord have mercy!

:confused3 Why are you making this out to be a CMs problem? You are expecting someone with a higher pay grade to bend the rules and do a special head count, removing the possibility for another guest to stay in a stateroom with your same muster station because you want don't want to follow the rules?
Lord have mercy!

Huh. Please carefully re-read my posts. I'm not asking the ship to sacrifice on safety, I'm not asking for someone to leave a person at home, I'm just asking the supervisor at the port to check the numbers and see if we can squeeze into a 3 person cabin.

Huh. Please carefully re-read my posts. I'm not asking the ship to sacrifice on safety, I'm not asking for someone to leave a person at home, I'm just asking the supervisor at the port to check the numbers and see if we can squeeze into a 3 person cabin.

But you are asking the ship to sacrifice safety.. Cleary a stateroom that can only accommodate 3 people, can only do so, due to its size and its capacity, which capacity limits are set for safety reasons. Similar to if you were to check in to a hotel room that can only accomodate x ammount of people, which is set by the Fire Marshall. The hotel is not going to compromise its guest's safety and risk being fined to please a guest who wants to place more than thecapacity in that room.

There are exceptions to every rule with the exception of two. Safety and Security are never comprimised, and with the recent disaster with the Costa ship i can almost guaruntee that DCL will not bend the rules on placing 4 people in a stateroom that can only accomodate 3 Guests, no matter what pay grade the CM is, because at the end of the day, that CM's job is more important that you throwing a fit, because you didn't get your way. :confused3

But you are asking the ship to sacrifice safety.. Cleary a stateroom that can only accommodate 3 people, can only do so, due to its size and its capacity, which capacity limits are set for safety reasons. Similar to if you were to check in to a hotel room that can only accomodate x ammount of people, which is set by the Fire Marshall. The hotel is not going to compromise its guest's safety and risk being fined to please a guest who wants to place more than thecapacity in that room.

There are exceptions to every rule with the exception of two. Safety and Security are never comprimised, and with the recent disaster with the Costa ship i can almost guaruntee that DCL will not bend the rules on placing 4 people in a stateroom that can only accomodate 3 Guests, no matter what pay grade the CM is, because at the end of the day, that CM's job is more important that you throwing a fit, because you didn't get your way. :confused3

The cabins are the same size, so that can't be the reason. The point is there are a certain number of people allowed in certain pre-determined areas. If they are short one person in that area, then they can add our fourth person.

What part of that don't you understand? I care for my kids too much to jeopardize their safety.

The problem is you and their computer can't think outside the box but within the confines of safety.

The cabins are the same size, so that can't be the reason. The point is there are a certain number of people allowed in certain pre-determined areas. If they are short one person in that area, then they can add our fourth person.

What part of that don't you understand? I care for my kids too much to jeopardize their safety.

The problem is you and their computer can't think outside the box but within the confines of safety.
You are being a little harsh to those on the thread that are trying to understand your reasoning for wanting to put 4 people in a 3 person cabin. When you stay in your 4 person cabin you don't have to use the upper berth if you don't want to.
Just because you see on the website that there are cabins open to booking for 3 people don't assume that those are 3 people cabins. Those cabins could be 4 person cabins but the lifeboat station may already be at capacity for that section.

Please don't expect DCL to bend their rules to make you happy when it comes to cabin assignment.

You are being a little harsh to those on the thread that are trying to understand your reasoning for wanting to put 4 people in a 3 person cabin. When you stay in your 4 person cabin you don't have to use the upper berth if you don't want to.
Just because you see on the website that there are cabins open to booking for 3 people don't assume that those are 3 people cabins. Those cabins could be 4 person cabins but the lifeboat station may already be at capacity for that section.

Please don't expect DCL to bend their rules to make you happy when it comes to cabin assignment.

I'll 2nd that one... :thumbsup2

Hmm, I'll have to look at those cabins to see if you are correct.

I'm not asking anyone to bend a rule, please show me the rule.

Can I just get this right TheLanes?

You have booked a 3 birth Stateroom, but there are 4 of you, 2 adult's and 2 children?

Ex Techie :)

Bummer! I wonder if there is any way to beg for it, or is it a law? Because if it's just a rule of theirs, we all know that we are supposed to expect them to bend it!!!!![/QUOTE]

Hmm, I'll have to look at those cabins to see if you are correct.

I'm not asking anyone to bend a rule, please show me the rule.

Ummm....aren't you? Rules are set for a reason. Some may not like them but they need to be followed. By choosing to set foot on board a DCL ship you are choosing to follow their rules.

What I understand is that you are upset because DCL will not break a safety rule/capacity that has been put in to place to accomodate your selfishness to be greatful for a room that you already have to accommodate your party size.

Actually all the cabins on DCL are not the same size and unless you have access to DCL's booking system :surfweb: (not disneycruise.com) and the actual inventory or Guest count of the ship you really don't know what is truely available and the sizes of the staterooms.

DCL has strict Coast Guard Rules, Insurance rules and Maritime Laws that they have to follow.

When are you sailing and on what ship?

Can I just get this right TheLanes?

You have booked a 3 birth Stateroom, but there are 4 of you, 2 adult's and 2 children?

Nah. I have a 9C that has an upper for us currently. I am happy with it, but would love a verandah. The only problem is that there are none left for four, but a ton for three.*

We've got two young girls, so we'd be fine without the upper. Problem is, from what I've read, is that it takes a supervisor to look into putting 4 into a cabin without an upper.*

I don't think there is a safety issue (unless the area we want to move to may then exceed the lifeboat size), but rather the computer just won't allow it. It's just the computer trying to do its programmed job of not letting people think they are getting an upper when they aren't.*

I imagine the supervisor checks the lifeboats and then confirms with us we are okay without an upper.*

Bummer! I wonder if there is any way to beg for it, or is it a law? Because if it's just a rule of theirs, we all know that we are supposed to expect them to bend it!!!!![/QUOTE]

Ummm....aren't you? Rules are set for a reason. Some may not like them but they need to be followed. By choosing to set foot on board a DCL ship you are choosing to follow their rules.

I was writing with tongue-in-cheek that first time when discussing the rule bending. More in reference to the kids club ages and 18 year old high schoolers posts we've seen recently.

What I understand is that you are upset because DCL will not break a safety rule/capacity that has been put in to place to accomodate your selfishness to be greatful for a room that you already have to accommodate your party size.

Actually all the cabins on DCL are not the same size and unless you have access to DCL's booking system :surfweb: (not disneycruise.com) and the actual inventory or Guest count of the ship you really don't know what is truely available and the sizes of the staterooms.

DCL has strict Coast Guard Rules, Insurance rules and Maritime Laws that they have to follow.

When are you sailing and on what ship?

I'm going to have to ignore you from now on, you are growing hostile and worrying me. Really.

I'm NOT asking to break a safety rule, but to allow the four of us into the same size cabin but without the upper. ONLY if it still keeps our areas numbers within the lifeboat size.

Nah. I have a 9C that has an upper for us currently. I am happy with it, but would love a verandah. The only problem is that there are none left for four, but a ton for three.*

We've got two young girls, so we'd be fine without the upper. Problem is, from what I've read, is that it takes a supervisor to look into putting 4 into a cabin without an upper.*

I don't think there is a safety issue (unless the area we want to move to may then exceed the lifeboat size), but rather the computer just won't allow it. It's just the computer trying to do its programmed job of not letting people think they are getting an upper when they aren't.*

I imagine the supervisor checks the lifeboats and then confirms with us we are okay without an upper.*

My best advice with that info is to ask to be wait listed for an opening on a 4 birth verandah and hopefully it will appear at a reasonable price. :goodvibes

BUT, please do not say "and a mindless CM not being able to move past it." again.
They are only doing their job, and what they are instructed to say. It doesn't make them mindless, but maybe unable to re-alocate thing's within their job ability. I'm sure they would make it happen for you if they could. :)

My best advice with that info is to ask to be wait listed for an opening on a 4 birth verandah and hopefully it will appear at a reasonable price. :goodvibes

BUT, please do not say "and a mindless CM not being able to move past it." again.
They are only doing their job, and what they are instructed to say. It doesn't make them mindless, but maybe unable to re-alocate thing's within their job ability. I'm sure they would make it happen for you if they could. :)

You're right, that was a horrible word choice. I'm truly sorry to CM's for that.

I meant that most of them are on autopilot with their jobs, and may not want or know how to even do it. I've dealt with enough support people for big companies that just don't seem to care or have the wherewithal to do some things...

I should realize that most Disney staff are different though.

You're right, that was a horrible word choice. I'm truly sorry to CM's for that.

I meant that most of them are on autopilot with their jobs, and may not want or know how to even do it. I've dealt with enough support people for big companies that just don't seem to care or have the wherewithal to do some things...

I should realize that most Disney staff are different though.

Well after a selection process we would all hope so!

I am not sure about safety issue. On the ship, your room is tied with where you suppose to go to evacuate in emergency situation. At that time, I am sure CM to coordinate the evacuation is trying to be very systematic, because the process must be as fast as possible, they cannot consider about "exception", like your case, 4people in max 3 people cabin. Therefore, it is possible that coordination for your lifeboat will be delayed if CM must consider the "exception" or special situation, meaning that the safety of some other people in same lifeboat as you will be in danger. It s not just lifeboat capacity, it's more about controlling of evacuation procedure.
From this point of view, yes I believe your request is possibly safety issue.

To avoid these type of scenario, they are strictly enforcing the rule of max capacity of cabin by disabling reservation. It looks like system issue, but my understanding is that they are INTENTIONALLY disabling to book cabin from your type of request, not system problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter