Will characters sign with a sharpie marker?

KMH1

DIS Veteran
Have you ever tried to hand a character a sharpie marker for autographs and had them shake their head at you? I have heard that some of the characters with white gloves sometimes refuse to use sharpies.

I was thinking of making a homemade autograph book using black pages, just for something different. Obviously a gel pen is too skinny for a character to hold, so I was thinking a silver sharpie marker would work.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Amy :)

I was wondering that too yesterday. I am having a hard time finding a fat "pen". Then I wondered about markers in general. My son said that the last time he was there, some of the characters had their own pen.

Mickey signed my DD stroller when she was 4 months old. He had his own sharpie pen.

I have read that they would rather not since it is easy for it to get on their costumes. BUT... we had the characters use one at Chef Mickey since My husband had them sign a white Disney shirt with all of them on it. No one said anything.

We've always used a sharpie and have never had any of the characters refuse it.

I've heard they actually prefer it due to the pen being easier to hold. Otherwise they do sell "autograph" pens in just about all the shops everywhere that are pretty large (they're about $5 a pen though, so it'd probably just be better to take a couple Sharpies & take your chances. :) ).

For our last trip I made a trip to the local department store that we all love to hate and bought a Sharpie CLick pen. It was new to most people last fall and the characters that used the CLick really liked it. No need to fumble putting the cap back on when you can just click. Jasmine and Mary Poppins expressed that they liked the CLick

:earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

I read here recently that they are having the characters stamp their autographs to make the process go more quickly. I know there was another thread about it, and how stamps are used a lot now.

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I'll have to go to Office Depot to see if the new Sharpie click pens come in silver. I really want to use black autograph pages for something different this trip!

AJKMOM, in our experience (we've been to Disney 8 times in 4 years), the only characters that use stamps are Buzz, Woody, Kermit, and Miss Piggy.

GEM, I love your new picture of Paul. I'm so used to seeing him playing in the sand! We're going to finally update our signature pics after our trip to Disneyland next month!

Thanks, Amy. I always think the pic of you guys in the matching outfits is SO adorable! :sunny:

When we went to WDW when our daughter was about 7, she had her heart set on a stuffed Pluto that was specifically made for autographs (I don't know if they still carry them or not). The best pen for signing it was a Sharpie, but we couldn't find one at any of the stores. However, a very kind cast member rummaged around in her drawer and came up with a pen designed to write on overhead transparencies - worked great! Now that my daughter is 12 and my son is 15, they still have their Plutos decorating their rooms, although many other stuffed animals have since been donated elsewhere.

Personally, I don't really like using the sharpies because of the affore mentioned reason of them being messy. Also, if you use them on paper, they tend to bleed through the page. They do, however, work best on fabric for shirts or hats or pillowcases or autograph hounds. Often times the character attendent will have a sharpie. I don't think characters are supposed to refuse to sign with one.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding a large pen. They can be a little easier to sign with, but honestly, I have signed with the thin white wdw pens with no problems. Just remember to take off the cap before handing it to the character! Clickable pens, though, are not too much of a problem.

Stamps are only used for characters who have trouble holding a pen. The ones who stamp are Woody and Buzz (though oddly enough, Woody does sign at MK but not MGM), the Incredibles, and Kermit and Piggy.

Then you have the characters who do not sign or stamp- Mike 'n Sully and King Louie. Figment also doesn't sign but I believe they have a sticker for the books.

AngieBelle said:
Stamps are only used for characters who have trouble holding a pen. The ones who stamp are Woody and Buzz (though oddly enough, Woody does sign at MK but not MGM), the Incredibles, and Kermit and Piggy.
QUOTE]

That's interesting about Woody signing at MK and not MGM!

Also, when we were there in October, Mr. Incredible and Elasticgirl were signing too...no stamps then.

Thanks!

The Incredibles didn't have the stamps when they first started making appearances, but they were having so much trouble signing with the rubber gloves that they gave them stamps.

Do the clickable sharpies come in colors? I know there are regular sharpies (with tops) that come in awesome bright colors. I am haviing them sign a piece of fabric that I plan on framing in my room and I dont want everything to be the same color.

Yes, clickable sharpies come in lots of colors - we used them for my DD13 this trip because she wanted characters to sign a T-shirt. When signing fabric, remember to stretch it tight around something - makes it easier for the characters to sign.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter