Will be staying at Disney onsite without car, is there a way over to Universal from Disney?

mom2my3kids

DIS VETERAN
I realize I would have to pay, but what is the best way to get to Universal from Disney world? I am from a decent size town in Indiana but I have never been in a cab before and the only bus I have been on is Disney buses..")

You can book the Disney / Mears transportation shuttle bus for going going to UO for the day

It is round trip and has adult and children prices

Other options are car rental, private car service, uber , etc

It depends how many are in your party. If it's quite a few the shuttle makes the most sense. We went in a group of 2 and used a taxi. The hotel will call one for you, and it wasn't too bad probably $40 or less. There's also Uber. We've never used it but plan to next time. It's cheaper than a taxi, but again only makes sense for a smaller party. I think there's lots of coupon codes to get your first ride free too. You could also rent a car they should have car rental places at some of the hotels on property.

I love being "stuck" at UO
Lol

Use the shuttle van at Disney if you want to visit UO during your Orlando vacation

The details and info is on the Disney site

What is Uber and how would you contact them? I don't want to get stuck at Universal..
Uber and Lyft are called ride-sharing services. They each have smartphone apps that let you request transportation to a specific destination. The drivers use their own vehicles and are (mostly) treated as independent contractors, but the service sets the rates. They vary the pricing depending on time, location, and special events (so closing time at the park might be more expensive).

There's a big "Everthing you wanted to know about Uber/Lyft at WDW" thread in the Transportation forum, as well as a sticky in this forum about travel between WDW and USO.

I always make it a point to mention Lyft because a) they're the underdog, and b) Uber has been accused of dirty tricks.

Last edited:
We used the Mears shuttle from Universal to Disney and had no issues. We stayed for the Christmas Party and then met them at the parking lot when the park closed. Worked very well. Also if we wanted to leave early we could call them and they would arrange for us to be picked up.

Any info on price and schedule for the Mears shuttle? We have a 18 months old with us, and Uber + car seat is not always available...

I realize I would have to pay, but what is the best way to get to Universal from Disney world? I am from a decent size town in Indiana but I have never been in a cab before and the only bus I have been on is Disney buses..")

How many people and whether or not you need a car seat can make a difference in the best transportation for your party.

If its JUST you as a solo - and you've never taken a taxi before and aren't terribly familiar with buses - I would suggest the Mears shuttle. Go to their website - read up - and book it. I did this once - and as a solo female traveler who is a bit nervous about ground transportation provided by others - this was totally easy. It takes more time than you would like - but its reliable. Just be sure when the driver drops you off at UO - you understand exactly when and where to get the bus on the way back. The day I did this - the bus had to drop off at a different location than normal - and the driver was really nice about explaining to us where we needed to be for pick up. (It was actually UO to Disney in my case, and Disney had construction in the bus lot - so that's why we had a weird drop-off scenario)

Also - remember - you CAN just take a taxi back to Disney - it's just likely going to be expensive.

On our September trip we just plan on taking an Uber. It doesn't make sense for us to rent a car just for one or two days to head over to Universal, and I am a frequent Uber user at home so I feel comfortable with the service (mostly.) Rarely have I had a bad experience.

A few years ago when we did this we just used a regular taxi and it worked fine. It wasn't cheap, but again, still more efficient than renting a car for us.

I have been going back and forth on whether to rent a car or Uber for our November trip. I will likely just Uber. I took a Mears shuttle before, but I feel that Uber provides better flexibility and is definitely cheaper.

Our last trip we took an Uber from International Drive to Epcot. It was around $15 dollars. There are tons of drivers around the Universal area. You wont wait long. We use Uber all the time and have had good experiences. Sometimes taking an Uber to and from is cheaper than paying for parking!

Uber prob cheapest first timers usually some sort of promo to lower cost

Could rent car for day or 2 at swan dolphin or car care center

For someone not familiar with Uber, I would just take a taxi. There are usually taxis waiting at the hotel and one of the bellmen will hail one for you. If there's not one waiting, they'll call one. You don't have to schedule it in advance and it can hold up to four people. Cost will vary, but we went from AKL to Royal Pacific last year and it was about $45 including tip.

We get a cab from POR to Universal every trip, it's about $40-45. There are cabs waiting at Universal to bring you back in the same place that you get dropped off - really easy

If you could figure out Uber or Lyft, you'd only have to pay $15-25 (though you'd want to verify that estimate in the app before confirming the ride request). That sounds much better to me than $45 but I know everyone's comfort level is different.

Also, as someone pointed out above, you can almost always get $20 off your first ride with Uber AND your first ride with Lyft. It would be possible for you to get to UO and back for free, depending on traffic, even in an XL. It's definitely worth looking into. The app is relatively simple to set up if you have a smart phone. You also don't call an Uber in advance. The longest I've ever had to wait was 10 minutes.

I take an Uber at least 3-5 times per week and I much prefer it to cabs in Chicago or Orlando. Ubers are almost always cleaner and they use GPS so you can track the route and know you're not getting taken for a ride. I've only had one bad experience (messed up the directions) and when I complained, Uber refunded my fare.

where does Uber Drop off at studios and where do the drivers pick up at Ioa?
thanks

Last edited:
When we stay at a WDW resort and want to go to Universal Studios we just rent a car and go. We do it midway during our WDW stay so we get transport to and from the rental agency. And while we have the car we also go and visit the Florida Mall as well as the Mall at Millennia...Then back to our Disney vacation....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter