Will anything be added to make up for the loss of Lights of Winter and Osborne Lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, we are going for six days following Thanksgiving. It will be my first trip with my grandbabies. Here's the thing....I'm still doing Disney, but I have changed my plans a bit. Since the lights are gone (and I didn't even know about the loss of parade before I made these plans!!!) we are not spending as long of a time in Disney. We are staying in Charleston, SC for two nights to see the lights at Kings Island County Park. They are just wonderful. So, Disney lost two days of my family's money. As they continue to make cuts, I will adjust my vacations accordingly.

Obviously not on the same scope as Osborne but the pathway between Dolphin and swan have the palm trees light up
I most often stay at the Swan. The lights are so pretty there all year long and when they add the Christmas music and show, it really is great!!

Another video.........

I was really hoping for something in HS and the announcement of some kind of parade at night. But I think its getting too late now, I thought something would have already been announced?

We are going over Thanksgiving and I used to love going to HS for the Osborne Lights. I have been saddened by the loss of the Lights of Winter years ago. That was always great to watch the tree light up with the arches. I will be taking my soon to be fiancee with me (who has never been before) for Thanksgiving, but it will be interesting to see what her take on it is as she won't know what is missing. I'm debating if I should do the Christmas party, but I don't want to spend more money just to see more Christmas oriented stuff when items have been taken away, but prices have gone up. I'm hoping attendance is down this year due to the lack of offerings.

We'll definitely be missing the lights this year. It's been a family favorite for quite some time. I'm not sure anything can really live up to it--anywhere. Glad we have the memories. I think DHS is going to seem really drab without them.

That's not entirely the truth. Disney could have simply moved Osborne Lights to another part of the park, but instead chose to shut down the show altogether. More than anything, I'm sure Disney didn't want to license the Osborne name any longer.

Well then we could say they're not replacing Stitch's Great Escape with something else because they could just move Stitch Attraction. But I get what you're saying.

There never will be a lights display at HS again probably. Will there really be no more nighttime parade at MK ever? That'd be so disappointing, but I guess at this point we shouldn't be surprised

Never is a very, very long time.

And there will absolutely be another nighttime parade at MK. History at both DL and WDW has shown that nighttime parades go dark, but are always eventually replaced by something new (or something classic).

Lights of Winter was last used in 2008 (8 years ago) and nothing has replaced it yet. Don't expect anything.

They actually did claim they "replaced" lights of winter:

The popular “Lights of Winter” holiday display at Epcot will not be returning this year. The Disney Parks twitter had the following to say about the change:

The Lights of Winter at Epcot has been enjoyed for years. But (technology) to operate the lights is obsolete, prompting us to retire the lights.

To replace the offering with something new, the Disney Parks Twitterthen announced the following:

Debuting at this year’s Holidays Around the World at Epcot is a new gospel choir, “D’Vine Voices” – Nov. 27 through Dec. 26.

http://wdwnewstoday.com/archives/4699

I have been looking and waiting to see if there will be a star wars dessert party in december, anyone have a feeling on this ? if so, would fantasmic show be at the same time ?

I'm so sad the Osborne Lights won't be there for our annual Thanksgiving trip. I cried when we left them last year.

There were many different options. They could have kept them in HS and moved them to a different location. Probably would have been smart as everyone is calling it a half day park now. They could have moved them to another park. The last option would have been to move them to Disney Springs. I agree that it is all about profit. They will continue to provide less and charge more until guests stop paying and coming. It makes sense as a company trying to make a profit, but it stinks for us. We definitely have reduced our number of visits. We used to get annual passes every year. Now we get them every other year at most.

We are going next month and I'm already missing the Osborne Lights. We have gone in November the last 3 years and the lights have been the highlight of our trip.

Sandy

My annual expires next month. I'm not renewing. I've only just returned and was emailed a survey. It asked me to give the WDW an overall score out of 10. I gave it 6 so it then opened up another box asking me why my score was only 6. I pointed out that the entertainment is less whilst prices are up. I lamented the loss of parades from the old days of two per day at Epcot, 1 at The Studios, 1 at AK and three per day at peak time in the MK to precisely 1!!!!!! I spoke about The Lights of Winter and The Osbourne Lights being no more. I talked about how long it seems to take Disney to build anything, and how new cutting edge technology seems to be lacking in their new rides to date.
So I am going back to Orlando for 5 days next April pre DCL cruise and I'm using the time to relax, swim and shop. No parks and no tickets, and I'm looking forward to it. They've lost me for a while.

Well, we are going for six days following Thanksgiving. It will be my first trip with my grandbabies. Here's the thing....I'm still doing Disney, but I have changed my plans a bit. Since the lights are gone (and I didn't even know about the loss of parade before I made these plans!!!) we are not spending as long of a time in Disney. We are staying in Charleston, SC for two nights to see the lights at Kings Island County Park. They are just wonderful. So, Disney lost two days of my family's money. As they continue to make cuts, I will adjust my vacations accordingly.
Do you mean the James Island Festival of Lights? Or are there other lights I'm not aware of? (It's always possible.) My best friend and I go to the Festival of Lights every year, and love them!

A little OT I know, but I live like fifteen minutes from Charleston so I was excited to see someone randomly talk about it. :rolleyes1

I have been looking and waiting to see if there will be a star wars dessert party in december, anyone have a feeling on this ?
if so, would fantasmic show be at the same time ?

The answers to both questions sit on the scale between "Maybe" and "Likely."

There were many different options. They could have kept them in HS and moved them to a different location.
This is the current thinking internally - although until something is greenlighted and announced, it's wide open to change. The new location would likely be part of the Phase II or phase III expansions - areas that are outside the current footprint of the park.
There's also talk of a temporary location until those new areas come online. Management isn't unaware of the popularity of the lights and, more to the point, the amount of business they're directly responsible for. No small amount of effort will be made to give guests the light display in some form.

I too was/am so sad there will be no Osborne lights this year. Busch Gardens does do a great job of their Christmastown so we will go there a time or two. I think it's so nice how it's included in park admission/passes and they do a fantastic job with Santa's house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter