Will ABD survive this economy?

andrews_dad

DIS Veteran
So many cancellations. The price tag is very high for each trip. I know that Pleasure Island was closed, and rumors that Quest is next up to get axed. I wonder if ABD will make it through the year? Thoughts...

Assuming the economy doesn't do them in this year, I think they are going to have a lot of trouble filling tours next year just because of how they've handled the situation.

We were originally planning to do a ABD trip this year but then decided to wait one more year to let DS get a little older. I have to say that I have been watching this trainwreck of cancellations with interest. I know many will disagree with my characterization of what's going on but that's how I see it.

I have to say that I am going to be very hesitant to book ABD next year after what happened to everyone this year. I think they handled the situation very poorly. Someone posted that they are having trouble sleeping because of what is happening. That's what I would be like too. I am so glad we didn't book this year and I doubt we will book next year either. We will probably go with one of their competitors.

So many cancellations. The price tag is very high for each trip. I know that Pleasure Island was closed, and rumors that Quest is next up to get axed. I wonder if ABD will make it through the year? Thoughts...

At this point I think they are doing themselves in more than the economy is doing them in. They are handleing the cancellations very poorly and their customer service has gone down to negative numbers as far as I am concerned.

Well for the Pleasure Island area closing, we found out about it last summer while visiting. We were told that Disney wanted to make the area more family friendly. If you walked around the Downtown Disney area where all the clubs were, it was awfully dead there during the day, so I just figured changing the format was Disney's way of making that part of Downtown Disney more family friendly and have more businesses open during the day as well.

The ABD boards taught us that it is better, but obviously not a sure thing to book a trip during a school break and one that is less likely to be cancelled. So for us it is Backstage Magic which might run with less than a full group being on Disney property. But there have been so many cancellations during peak summer travel times we will have be prepared in the future to have alternative dates. It is hard when most people don't have the flexibility to make changes to their vacation time:surfweb:

Well for the Pleasure Island area closing, we found out about it last summer while visiting. We were told that Disney wanted to make the area more family friendly. If you walked around the Downtown Disney area where all the clubs were, it was awfully dead there during the day, so I just figured changing the format was Disney's way of making that part of Downtown Disney more family friendly and have more businesses open during the day as well.

Family friendly didn't have much to do with it - that's just the Disney line. PI was closed so the area could be outsourced. (The first officially announced new addition is a Latin restaurant and tequila bar, not too family friendly.) They are apparently having problems signing renters, so a couple of the former PI clubs are now being rented out for corporate and private parties, although they are still not open to the public.

As for ABD I just got back from one of their tours. Loved it in superlatives. However, it was booked before all this cancellation stuff started. Even with a positive impression of the product, I would probably hesitate to book a huge expensive vacation that is likely to be cancelled out from under me at any time.

For the record I don't like the way Disney handled PI either.

I hope ABD survives. I love the idea of taking my kid on one of these adventures one day. He's too young now and we are too strapped for cash anyway. It just seems pretty gloomy. With the CS issues and the canceled trips seeming to outnumber or equal the ones that actually run!

Andrews dad -I honestly feel that ABD is going to learn from this year and not repeat the same mistakes.

If you look at the number of trips -especially Quest for the West and Southwest Splendors -they had a ton of departures. Every 3 days? Hopefully next year they will do a more reasonable amount and add on trips if they need them.

Along these lines -does anyone have an address to write ABD? and a name of someone high up to complain too?

Even with the frustration with this trip, I really hope they survive... We are counting on Germany next year.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for survival. I had this year's cancelled on me and am not rebooking. I went on one last year and overall, thought it was a great experience. I look forward to trying another one again in the future.

Andrews dad -I honestly feel that ABD is going to learn from this year and not repeat the same mistakes.

If you look at the number of trips -especially Quest for the West and Southwest Splendors -they had a ton of departures. Every 3 days? Hopefully next year they will do a more reasonable amount and add on trips if they need them.

Along these lines -does anyone have an address to write ABD? and a name of someone high up to complain too?

You can write to Mr. Ed Baklor, Senior Vice President of Adventures by Disney, 500 S. Buena Vista Street, Burbank CA 91505.

See my post in the ABD Cancellations List -- so far, from what we know on the website and on the DIS boards, ABD has cancelled only about 6.5% of its scheduled itineraries. (31 cancelled out of 486 posted departures).

Then again, the news is full of stories about Disney cutting back employees in its theme park division today--in response to the economic downturn.

See: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=arlhwBE4uBXU&refer=us

I hate to hear more bad news. . .
Turtlemom :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter