Will 1st Week August Be Mistake?

PoohJen

<font color=green>Willing to share a Mickey Bar?<b
Hi Fellow Disney Lovers!

Disney vet here with a BASIC question! :scared1:

I love Disney, but not crowds, and always try to visit off season. However, as my husband is a teacher, we as a family haven't all been to Disney parks together in years, and now my oldest is entering his Senior year in H.S. (we have, however, been fortunate enough to cruise DCL together).

Bottom line, I'd like to recapture our Disney parks (WDW) memories one more time as a family while all the kids are still "kids". But our ONLY option is the first week of August = on season.

We went one year during Spring Break, and if that were my only Disney experience, I would've called it a disaster - the crowds are just too thick to even walk thru the park. Is it like that in early August?

I can't believe I'm asking to be talked into (or out of???!!) a Disney vacation! But as we'll be dropping a few thousand $$ to make this happen, any feedback to help me think this through clearly will be appreciated!:love:

Will this be the last - or only - time we'll ever go to WDW? No, but may be last chance before Eldest Son is grown and gone.:sad2::love:

TIA!:yay:

:wizard: We always go in early August because that's the only time both my DD and I can get away. The only time we found the crowds to be really bad was when free dining started during our trip. The difference was really noticable. We now go the week before free dining starts. There are always going to be crowds at WDW, but we don't find that time of year bad at all. It's hot and you get the afternoon thunderstorms, but we love going in August! Go for it and you'll have a great time!

We'll be there too! I share all all the feelings/opinions/fears as the OP - but I am soooo excited about going that I just don't care!!

Have a wonderful trip! Maybe we'll see you - just look for the crazy mom and dad with the four boys and their g-pop!!

:goodvibes

We arrive August 1 for my birthday trip. We've gone the second week of August and we didn't think the crowds were any worse than the first week of June when we usually go. It was hot, but the heat index in KC is supposed to be 110 today, so we'll deal. :rolleyes1

We'll be there soon also. This is our first trip not in September/October. I've done a lot of planning using Tour Guide Mike, Unofficial Guide and the DIS forums. I will use fast passes this trip for some things, and I have made ADRs. I'm more worried about heat and humidy than crowds.

We almost always go in august, as my mom is a teacher as well. We will be there the first two weeks of august, this year, and are not concerned about crowd levels. Dont worry. :goodvibes

We went during the first week of August last year. We have also gone during peak Spring Break time the past two years.

August was not as crowded as Spring Break, but it was still busy.

One thing that helped to beat the crowds (and the heat) was that we did early EMH every day.

For us, the heat was a bigger issue than the crowds, but we all carried our water jugs and kept them filled.

August is busy, but nowhere near as busy as it will be when free dining starts up... you will be fine :)

Thanks everyone!:goodvibes

I thought the Dining Plan was still going on - is that not the case for that first week of August? :confused3

We will be arriving Aug. 1 and staying thru Aug.7.:thumbsup2 The last trip was in Sept. 08. Crowds were low then and we didn't wait very long in the lines.:yay: Hoping that Aug. crowds won't be too bad. Can take the heat, we live in SC, so we are use to the humidity. :woohoo:

I think there everyone has their own definition of crowded. For me the summer months are always too crowded. But if that is the only time you can go then you do what you can and make the most of it.

I thought the Dining Plan was still going on - is that not the case for that first week of August? :confused3

The Free Dining starts August 15th.

We are both teachers and we always go the first week of August, as it's usually the only week we can go each year (DH teaches a summer program every July). We've never found the crowds to be too much.

We arrive August 1 for my birthday trip. We've gone the second week of August and we didn't think the crowds were any worse than the first week of June when we usually go. It was hot, but the heat index in KC is supposed to be 110 today, so we'll deal. :rolleyes1

I live in KC also and am going to WDW on August 4. Surely it can't be as hot there as it is here right now, right? :goodvibes

I'll be there the same time! I've been Spring Break and the first week of June, so if crowds aren't any worse than that, we'll be fine!!!! As for the heat, I'm in North Alabama, and looking at recent forecasts from Orlando, I think it's cooler there than it is here!!!!!! I'm planning on being in the pool (or in the hotel room asleep!) around 1 p.m. every day, so that's gonna be my way to beat the heat! See you all there!!!!!

I am arriving on the 1st of August also. We'll be there from 8/1 until-8/9. I have been to WDW many times in August as I am a teacher. Before free dinning started I always went the last 10 days of August and it was great' no crowds or lines! It was very hot, but it is hot in August here in NJ also. Once free dinning started we went the 2nd week of August and I felt the lines and crowds were longer and bigger- in talking to people, I found out that many locals were at the parks as an end of the summer treat for their kids. I am really hoping that the first week in August in missing both of these previous issues. No matter what I know we'll have a good time, and now I know that many fellow disboarders will be there during the same time period.:thumbsup2

We'll be there August 1st as well, and we're hoping for the best! We're going to take advantage of EMH's and take mid-day breaks to help cool off!

I routinely go the first week in Dec....every year. But, I also go in mid-summer as well...that's a good time for the entire family to go. We used to go around August 13 or so, and left the weekend that free dining started..worked out great. But, last year Disney moved free dining up a week...smack dab same dates as my stay. That first week of free dining was miserably crowded. Add that to the heat and humidity....nope, not doing that again any time soon.
So, this year, we arrive on July 31. Dh heads home on Aug 8, and dd and I have some time alone. We leave on Aug 12. Yes, it will be hot and steamy...but it's not going to be much worse than what we have right now in NE!!!! The crowds will arrive a few days after we leave!!! If people are going to travel in the summer and they can get free dining, they will wait a bit and go for the free dining offer. At least that's what I'm hoping. I'm not too concerned about crowds for my time frame.

The crowds will arrive a few days after we leave!!! If people are going to travel in the summer and they can get free dining, they will wait a bit and go for the free dining offer. At least that's what I'm hoping. I'm not too concerned about crowds for my time frame.

That's what I'm hoping!!!

I received an offer for free dining for stays anytime from March 8th through August 14th. It was a PIN I received from Disney VISA. So free dining crowds are potentially at WDW all summer since the other free dining offer begins August 15th.

I routinely go the first week in Dec....every year. But, I also go in mid-summer as well...that's a good time for the entire family to go. We used to go around August 13 or so, and left the weekend that free dining started..worked out great. But, last year Disney moved free dining up a week...smack dab same dates as my stay. That first week of free dining was miserably crowded. Add that to the heat and humidity....nope, not doing that again any time soon.
So, this year, we arrive on July 31. Dh heads home on Aug 8, and dd and I have some time alone. We leave on Aug 12. Yes, it will be hot and steamy...but it's not going to be much worse than what we have right now in NE!!!! The crowds will arrive a few days after we leave!!! If people are going to travel in the summer and they can get free dining, they will wait a bit and go for the free dining offer. At least that's what I'm hoping. I'm not too concerned about crowds for my time frame.

I try to look at the bright side and look at the heat and humidity we are going through right now as "training" for our summer trip to Disney. Maybe by the time we get down there it will feel like nothin'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter