Wildwood, N.J>

weewuvvdisney

DIS Veteran
I was there on a week's holiday about 30 years ago.

Was wondering what it is like today? Is it still a clean, safe, fun place to visit?

Any suggestions?

I was just there last month for a long weekend and it was still clean, safe, and a fun place to visit.

...which is a little further down the beach. Wildwood can sometimes be a bit more "wild" than it used to be, but the WW Crest is a lot more quiet, and a lot more clean.

We love it. We usually spend a week down there each August before the kids head back to school. We spend some time in downtown Cape May...hit the boardwalk in Wildwood...go to sunset beach in Cape May for the sunset ceremony...do a whale watch...or just lounge around on the beach.

In terms of suggestions, are you looking for places to stay? Stuff to do? Restaurants?

make sure you just check the activities going on for the time you are planning to go.

they have motorcycle weekends, Irish weekend, etc.

I know not everyone wants to be at the shore when it's full of thousands of bikes....or during irish weekend...when there 'may' be a little more alcohol walking around ;)

Thanks for the ideas.

We would probably go in the summer. Most likely take a bus from NYC.

How big is Wildwood Crest? I remember hearing about it and Cape May. We wouldn't have a car so we would be doing a lot of walking...or taxis.

It's time to take our dd (15) to the ocean. She has been to Florida 4 times but it has always been to Disneyworld. At the moment, DH isn't able to fly so we were thinking of Wildwood.

I will try to do some checking through the internet.

Thanks,

Other than the amusement rides, I really cannot think of a reason for a family to visit Wildwood. The boardwalk there is really a party spot. We have been there twice in the past year, both times for a soccer tournament. We usually go to Ocean City or Cape May. These locations are much more family friendly. I found that in WW my kids were exposed to many elements that I prefer them not to see.

I also do not like the beaches in Wildwood. Once you are on the beach you feel like you walk a mile to get to the ocean. I also found them to be much dirtier than other NJ beaches (although that could have been bc of the over crowded beaches from the tournament).

As pp stated, I'd check out Ocean City or Cape May instead. Nice family towns, smaller boardwalk in OC. CM has a walking promenade and a nice walking mall with little stores to shop, good restaurants from $ to $$$$$.

Wildwood isn't horrible, but depending on the vacationers and time of day/night, it can get rowdy.

You could still take a bus or taxi to Wildwood for a day if you just wanted to do a day on the amusements.

Once you decide on a beach, look at the amusements on the boardwalk if your DD is interested in rides. Ocean City and Wildwood both have amusement areas that are very expensive during the summer. If you sign up for their mailing lists you will have the opportunity to buy tickets half price (usually for a couple of weeks before Easter).

See, our family likes WW Crest because the beach is so long and so wide. I don't like feeling like I'm sitting on the lap of the people next to me. Even so, we've had families with the herd mentality who -- with miles of open beach -- feel the need to sit this close -><- to our stuff. :confused3

WW and WW Crest run a trolley so you can get around easily enough. I'm not sure if it runs to Cape May, however.

I guess it depends on what your family wants to do. If you're looking to replicate Disney in terms of rides and an amusement park, forget it. WW boardwalk has been taken over by drunken college kids attempting their best Sookie routine. :sad2:

You're right -- Search on the 'net and see what works.

As pp stated, I'd check out Ocean City or Cape May instead. Nice family towns, smaller boardwalk in OC. CM has a walking promenade and a nice walking mall with little stores to shop, good restaurants from $ to $$$$$.

Wildwood isn't horrible, but depending on the vacationers and time of day/night, it can get rowdy.

You could still take a bus or taxi to Wildwood for a day if you just wanted to do a day on the amusements.

While I love OC and Cape May, if you want the boardwalk experience, I'd do Wildwood over OC with a 15 year old. I'd also stay in WW Crest. Yes, you will run into rowdy teens (I used to be one of them....).

Just wanted to add that Ocean City does not have the Boardwalk Games that many people associate with a seashore boardwalk. You know, the spin the wheel, win a prize games. Wildwood does. Ocean City also is a dry town, so there is no bar scene, which is why it attracts a family crowd. If your daughter is into crazy amusement rides, Ocean City is limited and the rides are more tame. Wildwood's boardwalk and beaches are bigger. BOTH beaches are beautiful.

Our family stays in the Crest and either walks or take the Trolley to the boardwalk. We love how big the beach is and how you never feel like someone is sitting on top of you. Kids are 19 and 15 and love the boardwalk. We prefer the following hotels....Imperial 500, Shalimar and VIP Motel.

We love wildwood.
1) no beach tags. call me what you want but I just have a serious hate for beaches that charge 5-10 bucks per person to sit on the freakin beach. I don't buy that bull that they need the money to keep the beaches clean etc. every other beach in the country manages to do this without raping their guest. Guess you can tell I really hate beach tags.

2)I have boys. there is so much to do to help them burn off the energy.
3) Great beach side amusement park
4) a lot more food selections, especially for breakfast (we like breakfast) than OC.
5) Cape May is really dull for kids. It's a pretty historical town but its dull as dish water for the family. No way could we spend a week there. pretty much after looking at the Victorian houses what's there to do?

1) no beach tags. call me what you want but I just have a serious hate for beaches that charge 5-10 bucks per person to sit on the freakin beach. I don't buy that bull that they need the money to keep the beaches clean etc. every other beach in the country manages to do this without raping their guest. Guess you can tell I really hate beach tags.?

I am SO with you on that!!!! It's like, "Wait...I'm paying HOW MUCH in taxes to stay at this hotel and I have to pay for freakin' TAGS to use the freakin' BEACH?!" Yeah, no...

5) Cape May is really dull for kids. It's a pretty historical town but its dull as dish water for the family. No way could we spend a week there. pretty much after looking at the Victorian houses what's there to do?

We do Cape May in the evenings as a way to kind of get the boys mellow. We'll do dinner, let them hit the tiny arcade on the promenade, and then walk through the gas lit streets until they're ready to drop. We pour them into the car, and then they're out once we hit the motel.

However...LOVE Cape May in the winter for a weekend get away with the Hubs. A B&B...no kids..no real crowds...:love:

In terms of hotels in WWC -- we love the Reges. We're also devoted to the Beau Rivage, simply because we stayed there when the boys were little, and it's comfortable for us. In Cape May for a B&B, try the Carroll House. :thumbsup2

Stay in Cape May, especially without a car. Stay at one of the hotels on Beach Drive with a pool. You are right on the beach and the promenade and can walk to the Mall and restaurants, etc. We like the Atlas but lately have been renting houses due to the dog (whole nother story).

I see that I will have lots of things to check into.

It has been so long but I'm sure that we will enjoy ourselves.

Just wondering if anyone has websites that they can recommend?

Thanks for the help.

I remember hearing about it and Cape May. We wouldn't have a car so we would be doing a lot of walking...or taxis.

Cape May is great for walking, although I couldn't imagine getting there without a car...

Wildwood is very cool but it is a city type atmosphere whereas Cape May or Ocean City are more small town"ish". Ocean city has great boardwalk activities but the town is dry from what I understand (only a problem for someone like me I'm sure) and Cape May has some great arcades and activities for a teenager but also has some very nice restaurant and bars for the over 21 crowd.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter