Wilderness or Animal Kingdom Lodge

Glendamax

<font color=blue>LOVES Old English Roses china at
This year I'm thinking about staying at a deluxe resort. The Wilderness Lodge and The Animal Kingdom Lodge are the "cheapest" of the deluxes. Of the two, please tell me which one you prefer and why. Also, PLEASE include your negative experiences at either resort.

Thanx! :thumbsup2

You cannot go wrong with either resort. Personally, if you're talking about getting a savannah view room, then go with Animal Kingdom Lodge. Otherwise, I'd choose Wilderness Lodge.

Both resorts are immersive experiences: You really feel like you're playing the part, instead of just staying at a hotel. The decor, the staff, and the amenities combine to make these two resorts the ones I'd be most likely to stay at, even if I weren't visiting the parks.

Both resorts have wonderful restaurants, at various levels. Artist Point (at Wilderness Lodge) is the best restaurant at WDW, but Jiko (at Animal Kingdom Lodge) is a very close second. Boma is perhaps the best buffet, while Whispering Canyon is one of the two best restaurants for children.

Been to both and I can say truthfully in my opinion you can't go wrong with either choice. WL was beautiful and charming, with a very "northern" appeal which I like. AKL is elegant and interesting, and if you get a savannah view room all the better. But we've stayed in a pool view room too and enjoyed the resort just as much. Boma is the best buffet on property.

The only negatives I can think of were that my standard view room at WL was overlooking the employee entrance/break area and the back of the Whispering Canyon restaurant. This would have been worse had we been on a low floor, but did not amount to much since we were on the 5th floor.

The only negative for AKL for us was that one time our room was w-a-y down at the end of one of the long hallways. Quite a hike after a long day at the parks. Made us think twice about going for a refill with our refillable mugs! lol

Have fun choosing! :wizard:

The only negatives I can think of were that my standard view room at WL was overlooking the employee entrance/break area and the back of the Whispering Canyon restaurant. This would have been worse had we been on a low floor, but did not amount to much since we were on the 5th floor.
We had a room in that area once, and it is one of our favorites: We called it the "smokehouse view" room, and every morning we were awakened, not by any noise, but rather by the gentle aroma of bacon.

We had a room in that same area years ago. The smell was great in the morning and we enjoyed just sitting out on our balcony in the morning. You could also see the monorail going between the Contemporary and the TTC.

We are trying the AKL this year and looking soo foward to it. Glad to hear all the greeat things about it!

we have stayed at both WL and AKL. we love them both but WL is our absolute favorite especially during christmas.

Thank you all soooo much for your input - especially the negative experiences. It's great to know that I can't go wrong! :thumbsup2

We have stayed at both. While we enjoyed both, we hands down prefer the WL. That being said, I think it is such a personal choice. One can read and read on these boards and on the internet, and the bottom line is I dont think you can really know if you will like a resort until you get there and experiece it. It can look great on paper, but that doesnt mean it will be the right fit for you or your family.

I swore up and down that I did not want to be at the WL. I wanted nothing to do with it, wasnt my style, yack yack yack..... I wanted to stay at the GF. Well, I got there, I dont know what happened, but I fell in love with it. To tell you truth, if I only ever stay at the WL/VWL for the rest of my trips there, that would be fine by me.

Personally, I like the atmosphere of Wilderness Lodge better, but the transportation is much better at AKL.

We've recently stayed at and enjoyed both. While AKL is more distant from some of the parks, the fantastic bus service more than made up for this. Of the 2, AKL remains are favorite just because it so unique. Personally, I would not stay in anything other than a savanna-view room. We spent one night in a standard view and HATED it!! We haven't stayed in a pool view. The pool area is so attractive that I've overheard a number of people say that they really liked this. I would rather be looking at the animals.

We :love: the WL and just sort of like the AKL.

At the AKL we were in an upper floor room that had a half wall about 5 feet out. My DS was standing on his tippy toes out on the balcony to see beyond this to the savanah and fell and hurt his elbow within the first few minutes we were in the room. Yes this could have happened anywhere but he wouldnt have been doing this had the wall not been there.

The pool was also a negative for us. I know many love it but in the middle of July when you are wanting a nice cool refreshing dip in the pool, we dove in to what felt like bath water.

This was a split trip so a couple days later we checked in to the WL and all breathed a sigh of relief. The view was perfect (upper floor monorail, CR, and fireworks) and the pool was as it should be nice and refreshing. The lack is also absolutely gorgeous, the beach is wonderful to watch the water parade, boat transporation to the monorail, mice boat rental, ect, ect

I can honestly say that I felt like my vacation began when we heard "welcome home" at the WL. We will heading "back home" once again this July though we may split it with the BC or Poly.

Good luck in your choice.

These are the ramblings of someone who has stayed at both resorts as recently as last December:

- Both resorts are pretty close to one another in look and feel. In fact, it almost appears as though both resorts were designed by the same person (and this may be true).

- In my opinion, AKL was more "kid friendly" than WL. Yes, they have the horse races at WCC for the kids, but AKL seemed to really go out of their way to keep kids interested. In the short time we were there, a CM would come out into the lobby and have kids place their hand inside a box to see if they could determine what the object was that they were "feeling". They also had a musical instrument parade around the lobby every evening that utilized African instruments that were for sale in the gift shop. I also believe that they had a special savannah viewing session for children as well.
- On the other hand AKL seems to be split off from the rest of the world, while WL is right in the midst of the MK area. A short boat/bus ride and you are at the front gates of the MK (bypassing the TTC). Some people have complained about the length of the boat ride, but we had nary a problem with this.
- The pools at each resort were fairly comparable, but one thing I did notice was that the water temp at AKL seemed a bit chillier than the water at WL, and when you're swimming in December, that is a factor.
- As far as restaurants were concerned, each resort has a snack, mid-level, and high-end eatery. At AKL we only tried Boma for their breakfast buffet, and I can say that it was delicious, but nothing beat the all you can eat skillet at WCC in the WL.

It really is a tough choice as I believe both resorts make a strong case. Oh the heck with it. They're both the same price, how about splitting your stay at both? How's that for a cop out?

Brian

I have stayed at both and I would say I prefer the AK except, as noted, if you are going at Christmas time...the WL is done up VERY well for holidays.

They are both similar with the "dark" design...although WL is northwest and AK is more Africa...its a similar feel.

My kids didn't like the pool at WL because it was very "buggy". Maybe just the time of year we were there? but lots of those little no see em knats flying around. LOVED the pool at AK with the zero entry. Lots of activities going on there for the kids too. Plus just walking over to look at the animals from the viewing spots was very entertaining.

Our room experiences were very different and HANDS DOWN AK was better.
AK we had a pool view with a little balcony. Lovely to hang out there. Both had bunk beds which my kids loved. The WL we just had a really really bad room.It looked at the roof and parking lot, and the set up of the WL with all rooms opening to the lobby was EXTREMELY noisy from our location.

Another postiive for WL was watching the electrical boat parade from the resort. The bugs did come into play here again...but we were able to just go right down the end of our hallway and see it from inside a little lobby type area. I very much prefer a resort with a water view (besides the pool)....Swan/Dolphin are my favorites...so that is another plus for WL and Neg. for AK...Also loved the WL game room...it does seem like I have more positives for WL, but for some reason liked AK better. I did NOT like the restaurant in WL with the ketchup screaming...not for me. My kids are a little older..maybe the younger kids get into that more. And i do LOVE the restaurants at AK.

Thats about all I can think of. Hope it helps! :wave2:

JUST 3 MORE DAYS TIL WE LEAVE FOR OUR TRIP! Nick Hotel 3 nights, Dolphin for 5 ~! :yay:

DemoBri1 said:
- Both resorts are pretty close to one another in look and feel. In fact, it almost appears as though both resorts were designed by the same person (and this may be true).
That is the case.

Minnie said:
We :love: the WL and just sort of like the AKL.

At The pool was also a negative for us. I know many love it but in the middle of July when you are wanting a nice cool refreshing dip in the pool, we dove in to what felt like bath water.

that was our experience too when we jumped into the pool last june. bath water warm :crazy:

we've spent many hours "agonizing" over this decision. One minute we would say WL, the next AKL. Back and forth. It basically came down to a flip of a coin and AKL won out. The other thing is, for us, we are in the Northeast and have gone to the New England states, numerous times. We love it, so thought AKL would be a different experience.

I should not be contributing since I have not had the pleasure of staying at the WL, BUT we LOVE the AKL. The kids love the animals and activities, I love the pool and the gym/massages! The concierge is amazing too, so once in a while we try and swing that. ALso, they have a wonderful private safari/breakfast and also a dinner for concierge guests which is amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter