• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wilderness Lodge

Disneygrl75

Earning My Ears
Hi all :)

I am taking my DS to the World for the first time in October, and we are staying at the Wilderness Lodge. I have been to WDW several times, but never with a small child. (My DS is 6.) Can anyone share anything special that the hotel might offer for kids? Thanks :)

Colleen

Your 6 yr old will love WL, especially in October.

They have the pool, slide, bike rentals, boat rentals, hidden mickey hunt, duck races on the stream, arcade, water pageant at night, geyser that goes off, you name it.

They will give you a little newsletter type thing when you check in listing a lot of activities.

Make sure you eat at Whispering Canyon.

You'll love it!!!!

A trip over to Fort Wilderness on the boat would also be fun to catch the campfire and movie or Hoop Dee Doo or any of the other activities they have.

During our last WL stay the kids were 4 1/2 and 1. They loved it!!! Mainly for the reasons mentioned already but my oldest just loved the boat dock and his favorite thing was to take a boat ride to MK or FW or CR. Campfire at FW was a big hit. Water Parade at night was a HUGE hit. We had a room at the very end of the resort that looked directly over the beach at the lake so it was our nightly ritual at 9:30 pm to sit on our balcony and enjoy the show. The lobby alone was great. Even our 1 year old would love just running back and forth over the little bridge over the creek in the lobby.

Enjoy!!!

If you're going to be around in the early AM and he's not afraid of heights, you could ask at check in if you can be the Flag Family. You get to go up on the roof and raise the flags -- not sure what time they do this, but ask at check in.
Any of the Bay Lake resorts rent the little speedboats (6 y/o needs to go with an adult) that are really, really fun. I bet he'll beg you to go on one when he sees them.

Definitely get in on the duck races. Your child will pick a rubber duck and then they will dump them into the stream and see which duck is faster. Usually a really good prize is given. Also, the Cub's den has a craft time every afternoon with videos and other activities as well. You should get a sheet at check in that lists some of the other activities that will go on through the week. Oh, and Whispering Canyon has pony races if you eat there.

Each morining they list the park hours, weather and the Lodge Activities on a white board on the back of the Life Gaurd station.

Check out the Cub's Den, too. It's the "onsite daycare" in the evening but during the afternoon they offer crafts and you can go there with your kids and just "hang out." My kids LOVED this place. They wanted to stay but we never got around to "Mom and Dad date night" so I told them maybe next time. Don't you love it when they beg you to leave them???

The den is on the left as you leave the lobby to the side toward the Villas.

I don't know if they still do this, but when we stayed there they had a wild animal showing in the lobby. My kids saw a baby aligator and an owl. They loved it! We also did the petting zoo at Fort Wilderness. I've also heard they have a lady bug release but I haven't been to it. There will be lots of things to keep you busy. Enjoy!:p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter