• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wilderness Lodge question

I have had three stays and in my experience they have been fine. It is the only resort we have stayed at and will continue to return to it. We love it there and are not interested in any other resort.
A question like this is going to generate positive and negative responses because cleanliness is really up to each individuals tastes. You will find positive and negative responses for any resort you posted this question about.

We just got back from a 8 night stay at WL and it's now our favorite disney resort! We were very satisfied the room. The lobby and pool areas were also very clean and well-maintained. We would definitely stay there again.

We LOVE the WL!!!!!

We've stayed there twice, both times in courtyard rooms, & could not have been more pleased! Mousekeeping was great, & all the WL castmembers are so friendly!

We would stay there again - except we're officially a "party of 5" now. If we ever get a really good discount code, we'll be back to try out the Deluxe Rooms!

****DISCLAIMER -- keep in mind we transfered from GF and I hope I don't offend anyone, this is just my opinion!!!*****

We did a split stay at Grand Floridian and WL recently and I really liked the WL, we had fun and it's a beautiful hotel....but coming from GF to there was a little disappointing....the room was much more dark and gloomy and the bathroom wasn't exactly what it was at GF....but it wasn't filthy or dirty. It was just dark and rustic. Aside from that...we did have to make a call down to Housekeeping b/c there was some poop (YES, human feces):eek: in the hallway a few doors away from our room (my husband saw it when he was coming up from smoking and called) LOL....so I guess that was pretty gross and unexpected, but other than that...they came up right away and cleaned it and our room was always cleaned! And we've stayed at many hotels (of all different levels, rooms, etc) and this one was fine, just hard making the transition...I don't think I'd ever do a split stay again.....I got too spoiled! :)

What a strange question. Do you really think any WDW room is "filthy"?!?:confused3

Why strange? Google the reviews and the term is used to often describe this resort. I would like to stay there but not if the rooms need extra cleaning. Given this is a disney site and not google, I thought I'd ask here.

What a strange question. Do you really think any WDW room is "filthy"?!?:confused3

My thoughts as well. Doing a Google search, I'm still not finding a huge amount of comments re: "filthy" rooms at the Wilderness Lodge (although there is apparently a Wilderness Lodge in Australia that has had some problems in this area).

The person at TripAdvisor in 2010 who thought the rooms were "filthy" has also rated 9 of their 13 hotel reviews as average or below (with 38% of the total reviews with a rating of "terrible"). Another guest from 2008 complained about the mosquitos and spiders in the WL boat to Disney and gave the Wilderness Lodge a lower rating because of this. So, I guess it pays to read a good representative cross-section of reviews on ANY site and then come to your decision about any hotel.

My favorite story in this regard is Lawrence of Arabia. When the film had been newly restored in the 80's, some friends and I went to a grand old theatre in the Minneapolis area to watch it. It was glorious - huge screen and the movie was perfect for the theatre with all the adventure and setting.

Some of us sat on the main floor - others sat in the balcony. During intermission, we met at the concession stand and started talking about the movie. Most of us RAVED about the newly restored film and the theatre ....... while one friend complained about the movie. She said it had .......... TOO much SAND ........ and not enough women in promiment roles in the film! It just goes to show that everyone has a different criteria.

I love the Wilderness Lodge & Villas!! It is my families fave place to stay. I would def have to say it is NOT "filthy" by any means. I honestly dont think any WDW resort would be "filthy". But having stayed at the WL & V many, many times, ive never had a complaint. The mouse keeping & cast members are great. People that say there are spiders or mosquitos are correct. Thats because The resort is surrounded by trees & woods...(Wilderness...)so yes you will get bug bites while out side at night if you dont use bug spray. And yes it is more of a darker resort because of the theme/decor. I could go on and on how much I love this resort. Cant wait to be there in September again!:cool1:

I'll be quick and to the point.

Are the rooms filthy?

I'm guessing you haven't spent much time in any of the Disney resorts? Yours is definitely one of the er, um, most unusual questions I've seen asked on the resorts forum. Especially since you provide no context, no reason for your question. I've tried to come up with some kind of reassurances for you, but not knowing what your particular reason for concern is all I can say in response is no, the rooms are not filthy.

Of course none of us know what your standards of acceptable cleanliness are.

No!!!!

We have always chosen Disney for our vacations because of their overall wonderful detail to service and experience which includes their accommodations.

I haven't stayed at all the resorts on-property, but I would never expect any Disney resort to be "filthy." We stayed at WL last year, and the room was very clean and nice. The only issue we had was small little ants on the floor. We were on the ground floor, though, right outside the pool area. There were very few ants, and that didn't bother us. Overall, we had a good stay there and would definitely recommend it if you want to stay near MK.

No, I stay there every year. I think it takes a bit of getting use to with the Darkness of the Rooms and Hotel, especially coming from the Brightness of the GF. I think you have mistaken the Dark mid western Decoration for being Dirty, which I have never had a dirty room. I see it as Cosy and Comfy. :surfweb:

Agreed. In over 16 visits at multiple properties (5 at WL) from Deluxe to Value, I have NEVER had even the slightest of a dirty room. Leaky balcony door at Beach Club, not too cold AC in Dixie Landing(back then). But never dirty. I just stayed at POP for the first time in August and for the amount of people running through that facility, it's amazingly well kept:thumbsup2 I am heading back to WL in August and expect nothing less. I have found most people that leave really negative reviews usually have a gripe about anything in life, or just want something for free and aren't trying to be helpful :hippie:

The only issue we had was small little ants on the floor. We were on the ground floor, though, right outside the pool area. There were very few ants, and that didn't bother us.

Ugh, welcome to Florida! I swear the ants down here would survive a nuclear bomb :laughing:.

OP, I don't think your question is odd at all :goodvibes. Especially if you haven't been to Disney a lot. But even tho I haven't stayed at that particular resort, I can say that the rooms that I have stayed in are definitely clean. Mousekeeping has always cleaned our rooms thoroughly and then had the time to arrange my boys stuffed animals (I love this about Disney! :lovestruc). I really don't think you have to worry about filthy rooms... Just filthy people, like the ones mentioned in a PP's post, who left feces in the hallway :scared:. Which, of course, isn't Disney's fault and they are always quick to remedy issues like that. Anyway, where ever you decide to stay I am positive that you will enjoy it very much! :goodvibes

****DISCLAIMER -- keep in mind we transfered from GF and I hope I don't offend anyone, this is just my opinion!!!*****

We did a split stay at Grand Floridian and WL recently and I really liked the WL, we had fun and it's a beautiful hotel....but coming from GF to there was a little disappointing....the room was much more dark and gloomy and the bathroom wasn't exactly what it was at GF....but it wasn't filthy or dirty. It was just dark and rustic. Aside from that...we did have to make a call down to Housekeeping b/c there was some poop (YES, human feces):eek: in the hallway a few doors away from our room (my husband saw it when he was coming up from smoking and called) LOL....so I guess that was pretty gross and unexpected, but other than that...they came up right away and cleaned it and our room was always cleaned! And we've stayed at many hotels (of all different levels, rooms, etc) and this one was fine, just hard making the transition...I don't think I'd ever do a split stay again.....I got too spoiled! :)

Now you are comparing two entirely different themed resorts. Wilderness Lodge is a rustic resort with a dark tone to it.

This is like comparing having dinner in the middle of Times Square and eating dinner at the beach on a Caribbean Island. You could say that boy my dinner sure was loud in Times Square but the beach was quiet.

Are the rooms at the WL filthy? No, not in my experience.

The only resort I ever had an issue at was POR, and even then, it wasn't filthy. The mousekeepers had just missed a couple things. A call to housekeeping and it was taken care of quickly. That was when we first checked in. Everyday after that, the mousekeeping was spotless.

The rooms at WL are themed to be rustic. They are going to be "darker" than the GF or the BC. Some people mention the darker feel when complaining about it being unclean and it makes me wonder if they are reacting more to the theming of the resort or if they truly had an unclean room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter