• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wilderness Lodge Pool Refurb...what would you do?

My husband and I love WL and just bailed for GF...we are not happy about it either but are getting used to the idea....GF looks great.

We don't have kids but the idea of paying for a pool out of service and a yucky view with tarps (no one knows how bad it will be) didn't seem like it was worth all that money...and we are big WL fans. We just got back from our honeymoon there last Nov.

I'm agonizing over this ! Not sure if I want to stay put or move to AKL. It's either choose a hotel with a pool and sacrifice convenience to MK or stay put and have to travel to pools ! Ugh.

We've stayed at AKL and WL. We love both, but I must admit during our last stay at AKL I longingly looked over at WL for its proximity to MK. Of course, I'm the type where I catch my breath seeing Cinderella's castle from the Poly beach LOL.

We had great bus service from AKL/AKV, whereas our busing from WL to the other parks was not as efficient. My family enjoyed the pools (esp the splash area and pool at Kidani), activities (animals, night vision goggles etc) and food at AKL more than WL, but we (mostly me) did miss being close to MK. There is something about the EWP, beach, being so close to getting on the monorail, etc, that we missed at AKL. AKL was more relaxing (for me) than WL since we spent more time at the resort--something about WL stimulated more park time ("hey we can jump on the boat and be at MK in a jiffy") vs AKL (let's "relax at the pool or go see the animals or sit by the fire pit and listen to stories" happened quite a bit there). Our family has decided for a park intensive trip (usually that means multiple MK days for us) WL fits the bill and a more laid back, little or no park trip, we will be at AKL.

You can't go wrong with either, but IMO if I were there during the pool construction I would switch to AKL if that were an option. Definitely my family would vote AKL vs WL in that situation.

I'm agonizing over this ! Not sure if I want to stay put or move to AKL. It's either choose a hotel with a pool and sacrifice convenience to MK or stay put and have to travel to pools ! Ugh.
The WL has a second pool you can use. You won't be without a pool if you stay there. It just won't have the slide. And maybe the main pool won't be closed during your visit.

The boats to MK and to CR make it very convenient to get to the park and to the monorail resorts. We are staying at the WL in October and have no plans to switch. There are so many really nice things about the resort that make it worth it to us to stay. :goodvibes

We are moving to CR or GF if the work is not done by 11/15. Thank goodness we are room only. No way am I paying for a courtyard view of construction and no pool.

I would move to AKL. With kids that age, you are going to want to take a break and use the pool. The children will also enjoy being able to see the animals in the savannah. We rent a car no matter where we stay, but we have taken the bus to/from AKL and found it not so bad. I like WL very much, but AKL is a really unique experience.

We are moving to the grand Floridian. It's just the two of us and really we don't do the parks that much anymore. We have tickets to MNSSHP and that's probably it for the parks. We use this time to enjoy the resort and relax by the pool so there was really no choice. I have a feeling as time goes on and more people find out it will be harder to find rooms available.

We opted to go to POR Royal Room (fingers crossed for some kind of discount to come through). I think for our girls (5 & 3) the RR will have just about as much wow factor as the WL lobby - maybe not the case for the parents, but this trip is really about the kids.

This was our original choice before free dining came out; upgraded to WL for free dining at roughly the same price of POR + dining plan but with the pool closed it doesn't feel like an upgrade anymore.

We almost stayed at WL (despite pool closure) for the ease of mid-day breaks from MK, but we're hoping we can pull off breaks to POR.

Good luck with your decision.

We opted to go to POR Royal Room (fingers crossed for some kind of discount to come through). I think for our girls (5 & 3) the RR will have just about as much wow factor as the WL lobby - maybe not the case for the parents, but this trip is really about the kids.

This was our original choice before free dining came out; upgraded to WL for free dining at roughly the same price of POR + dining plan but with the pool closed it doesn't feel like an upgrade anymore.

We almost stayed at WL (despite pool closure) for the ease of mid-day breaks from MK, but we're hoping we can pull off breaks to POR.

You can easily do breaks at POR, that's usually where we stay. The buses are great, and mid day, there's hardly a wait. You will be happy there.

As for those worried about the distance of AKL away from MK, it's actually a very quick, quiet bus ride, which is nice at the start/end of each busy day. Our very first trip was to AKL, the bus service was wonderful. We were on the dining plan and had no issues getting to ADRs, etc. You might have to leave a bit earlier then from WL, but it really isn't that it of a hassle.

A lot of people are agonizing over it. It's not a pleasant situation to find yourself in. I would move. Proximity to MK is a consideration, but once you're on the bus from another resort...you're on it. It's tougher with little kids, but I think it will be worth not dealing with the construction. I would also consider one of the cabins at Fort Wilderness. They seem to have lots of amenities for families, and a kitchen. It's also a boat ride away from MK.

I think you made a really smart move. Your little girls will be enchanted by the royal room :lovestruc

I was in the same boat and ended up switching resorts. If I were you, I'd go with the cabins as they are still just a boat ride away from the MK and you won't have to worry about going elsewhere to swim.

The WL has a second pool you can use. You won't be without a pool if you stay there. It just won't have the slide. And maybe the main pool won't be closed during your visit.

The boats to MK and to CR make it very convenient to get to the park and to the monorail resorts. We are staying at the WL in October and have no plans to switch. There are so many really nice things about the resort that make it worth it to us to stay. :goodvibes

Yes, there is a second pool. But that pool is pretty small. And the area around it, for seating, is limited. It is/was basically a quiet pool for the villa guests...so no need to be large. If/when a bunch of regular WL guests head over there, to use the pool, it is going to get crowded very quickly. Guests will complain that there is nowhere to sit comfortably. So, while I feel badly for those guests that want a pool, I feel a bit badly for myself and others that are keeping our VWL reservations and will face a very crowded pool..which doesn't usually happen.

I would move to AKL. With kids that age, you are going to want to take a break and use the pool. The children will also enjoy being able to see the animals in the savannah. We rent a car no matter where we stay, but we have taken the bus to/from AKL and found it not so bad. I like WL very much, but AKL is a really unique experience.

We made the switch last night to AKL. At first I wasn't that thrilled about it because I really wanted easy access to the MK but the idea is growing on me. AKL looks beautiful and my kids are going to absolutely adore the animals.

We are on the same boat :confused3

But there are 16 of us, in 5 romos, so switching resorts might be complicated.

We were indeed planning on use the pool a lot, since my sister has 1.5 year old twins, my brother´s twins will have turned 3 a day before the trip and his wife is pregnant, and I have 3 daughters as well, so lots of Little kids.

But I think the ease of Rolling the stroller with the kids and stuff into the boat to MK,versus taking everything out and folding it, and the great lobby, are still worth the stay at WL. Last year we had one day of terrible rain from morning till night and stayed at the hotel, there were lots of activities in the lobby and the hotel doesn´t feel crowded.

Besides, it looks like it will be even less crowded than usual.

I'm perturbed. I had originally booked Poly; found out the pool was closing and switched to Wilderness Lodge. Now, that pool is going to be closed too. Seriously, Disney? :sad:
Now most of the "cheaper" rooms at the other deluxe properties are gone. So I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do.

Sorry for my rant. Good luck with your decisions!

I'm perturbed. I had originally booked Poly; found out the pool was closing and switched to Wilderness Lodge. Now, that pool is going to be closed too. Seriously, Disney? :sad: Now most of the "cheaper" rooms at the other deluxe properties are gone. So I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. Sorry for my rant. Good luck with your decisions!

I was thinking about people that switched from Poly. I switched to AKL and I had to pay more. It was minimum but still. It's frustrating when I planned this trip so far in advance.

What are the chances that it doesn't actually happen or that it's delayed?? I'm sorry if this is a dumb question or if it has been asked before, just wondering. Wasn't construction at the poly pushed back many times before actually starting??? Is this too much to hope for??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter