Wilderness Lodge or Contemporary

PaulaSB12

DIS Veteran
They are running a deal in the UK for the free disney dining plan, $200 disney gift card and the 14 day ultimate ticket for the price of 7 days next year. You have to book before I go on holiday so I have got the chose down to 2 hotels Wilderness Lodge or the Contemporary due to the closeness to Magic Kingdom. This is a solo trip so any advice on which one to go for.

I can't comment on the CR as we've never there, but we love the WL :). We love the theme, the beautiful grounds, the pool, and Roaring Forks. It's also great taking the boat to MK as well as to the CR for shopping, dining, or just visiting.....plus we can hop on the monorail and visit the Poly and GF :goodvibes. We like the atmosphere and theme better at the WL, but with that said, I don't think you can go wrong with either resort as I'm sure the CR is great as well. I would choose the one that the theme appeals to you the most. Good luck deciding and happy planning :wizard:.

CR! It's my favorite resort so maybe I'm biased!

I love that you can walk to MK or just hop on the monorail. It just "feels" like Disney to me. Plus, it's got some great views! ;)

In all honesty, you can't go wrong with either. They are both beautiful properties.

Always the CONTEMPORARY!

we have stayed at both, and likely will not choose the WL lodge again, Not that its not nice, just not better than a moderate.

The reason you stay at Contemporary is the monorail access and being able to walk to the MK. It has virtually no theming. Wilderness Lodge has it beat easily for atmosphere/theming. Contomporary is, I believe, a bit more expensive.

I've stayed at both.

I'd choose the Contemporary, mainly for monorail access.

We've stayed at Wilderness Lodge, and it is beautiful, but staying at the CR would be much more convenient to the MK/Epcot, for mer personally.

I also did not care for the counter food service at WL. I just didn't like the food choices.

The theme of the WL is great. The lobby and sitting places on the 4th and 5th floors are great places to sit and relax. I have stayed at WDW resorts over 50 times since 1992 and WL is my favorite resort by far. I haven't stayed at CR because it just doesn't appeal to me. Since you said it's a solo trip and for 14 days you might split your stay between the 2 resorts. I would stay at CR first, because you may not want to leave the WL if you stay there first.

You might look at pictures and descriptions of the 2 resorts. Good luck and have a wonderful trip.

Wilderness lodge is my vote, something about this report that allows me to relax and take it all in.

I have to admit to leaning more to the Wilderness Lodge it looks more appealing than the Contemporary.

IMO WL is much nicer. Contemporary is everything but that. There is nothing modern about it. The benefit that Contemporary has, like PPs have said, is the Monorail access, which makes it a whole lot easier to get to MK. But you can still take a boat from WL, or various other ways to get there, so it is still easy. What you need to ask yourself is what you care about more. If you just want a bed to sleep in at night, then I would go with Contemporary. If you care about where you are staying, as well as convenience, I would say WL. In terms of amenities, other than the rooms themselves, they are pretty similar. They both have "beach" access, restaurants and shops. I really like the pool at WL, and the whole resort in general feels much more secluded and private, which is nice.

Oh and did I mention, WL is our DVC home resort? :) Maybe that's why I am a little biased!

Being a solo trip, I'd prefer the Contemporary. Tower if you can get or afford it, but the Garden Wing rooms are just as nice, just don't have the view afforded by being in the Tower.

I have to admit to leaning more to the Wilderness Lodge it looks more appealing than the Contemporary.
This is an important factor, since there are lots of sources available to make a pretty solid decision. While the WL doesn't come close to a Rocky Mountain Region Resort experience it clearly can deliver a great Disney experience. Here is a site that provides more information on the WL and CR. http://www.wildernesslodgesite.com/
http://www.disneycontemporary.com/

We have stayed at both and would probably select CR Tower MK View between these two resorts. The view would be an important factor along with the ability to walk to the MK. During the Christmas season the WL is one of the popular(booked) deluxe resorts.

Less sterile, and between the bar, the restaurants you cant beat it. I suggest you take the boat to Fort Wilderness, too, and spend an evening at Hoop Dee Doo, or Trails End-

Wilderness Lodge hands down. Great restaurants (Artist Point, Whispering Canyon Cafe), beautiful themeing and you are just a beautiful boat ride away from the Magic Kingdom and the monorail to EPCOT.

Depending on cost and the promos being run, at WL you can also consider 1 or 2 bedroom villas which are outstanding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter