Wilderness Lodge or Beach Club?

lalanik

Earning My Ears
Greetings everyone,

I have a bit of dilemma and need some insight. I have booked WL from 12/1-12/6. My brother's wedding is coming up (Feb) and I am planning along with my parents to surprise him and pay for everything. My brother is a DVC member and because he's in school right now, he hasn't been able to go for almost 2 years and he offered me to use his DVC points at no cost to me. WL villas are booked and all that is available that I am interested in for DVC members is Beach Club. So in essence, should I just used my brother's DVC points and stay at BC for free or is the cost for WL worth it during the holidays? If it is worth the price, I have no problem staying but if its not worth roughly $350/night, I may consider taking up my brother's offer. Thanks in advance everyone.

I love love WL anytime but especially at the holidays. With that being said, take the points!! Book a reservation at WL to eat or just visit one night and you can see everything. BC is pretty at holiday time as well. They have a beautiful gingerbread carousel. Also they have the great pool, you never know what the weather will be.

NicoleLarson said:
I love love WL anytime but especially at the holidays. With that being said, take the points!! Book a reservation at WL to eat or just visit one night and you can see everything. BC is pretty at holiday time as well. They have a beautiful gingerbread carousel. Also they have the great pool, you never know what the weather will be.

Thanks for the response. After extensively looking through online photos, the decorations at WL vs BC is no comparison. However, I've yet to experience both in person.

We stayed at WL last year and will be staying at BC in November. I can tell you after I get back how I felt about the two. I absolutely loved the decorations and WL feel near christmas but truthfully can't see wasting that much money when you can get a free trip in the center of EPCOT nightlife! i say you defintiely should go visit WL and eat there one night!

Have fun and I will keep you updated!

monica

I am a WL junkie but having said that.....I would go with FREE!!! Go with what a PP said...plan to spend an evening at WL....get there early and walk around and check out the decorations, have dinner, plan to stay for the movie on the beach, weather permitting, then you will also get to see the electrical parade.

I am there the same time (WL obviously)....but if you don't want to use the free points...let me know and I will take them :rotfl2: ..no seriously, I would!!!!!

My first solo trip I stayed at WL and LOVED it. It was early in the holiday season and loved the decorations (the beautiful tree magically appeared in the lobby one morning)
My next solo trip (in January) was at BC. Loved the resort and the closeness to Epcot and DHS!!
I would give a slight edge to WL.....maybe because of the holiday décor;
BUT, BC is beautiful too and I would stay there again.
:thumbsup2

The personal "issue" with me is I ADORE 1) Christmas lights/decorations for sentimental reasons and 2) I adore Disney for sentimental reasons. From looking at the decor and reading reviews, I gather I will be engulfed in that Chritmassy/Disney atmosphere much more at WL than at the BC which I prefer rather than staying at BC and just visiting that atmosphere.

In Dec 2011 we stayed at WL and we just got back from BC in May. Overall, we enjoyed WL more, especially during that time of year. We are going back next May and decided to book WL again. However, in your situation, no questions asked, I'd definitely do the BC for free. Just book a dinner at WL so you can get in your visit.

starousse said:
In Dec 2011 we stayed at WL and we just got back from BC in May. Overall, we enjoyed WL more, especially during that time of year. We are going back next May and decided to book WL again. However, in your situation, no questions asked, I'd definitely do the BC for free. Just book a dinner at WL so you can get in your visit.

Thanks for your response! However, I want to be engulfed in that Christmassy/Holiday feel the entire trip and not just for a dinner. So I guess what it truly comes down to is: is the feel and decorations that much better in WL during the holidays that it's worth paying $350/night over a free stay at BC?

Greetings everyone,

I have a bit of dilemma and need some insight. I have booked WL from 12/1-12/6. My brother's wedding is coming up (Feb) and I am planning along with my parents to surprise him and pay for everything. My brother is a DVC member and because he's in school right now, he hasn't been able to go for almost 2 years and he offered me to use his DVC points at no cost to me. WL villas are booked and all that is available that I am interested in for DVC members is Beach Club. So in essence, should I just used my brother's DVC points and stay at BC for free or is the cost for WL worth it during the holidays? If it is worth the price, I have no problem staying but if its not worth roughly $350/night, I may consider taking up my brother's offer. Thanks in advance everyone.

We've visited the WL on a few ocasions and on each trip, we've come away saying, next trip, this is where we want to stay. Then when it was time to book our next trip, cooler heads realized that the WL was just out in the middle of no where, and we booked somewhere else. The quiet pool area of the Beach Club is great, because it's a short walk to EPCOT and the Boardwalk. There's also a conveniant boat to DHS. The main pool is pretty incredible also. It just depends what's important to you. Facility, or location and pool.

You will get the christmasy feel at bc too just won't be that "rustic" " wintery" christmas feel as much. The good thing about staying bc is that you will get to be surrounded by 2 other resorts with christmas decorations as well. And the BC and YC both have beautiful christmas decorations. YOu will also hear christmas music no matter which resort you are at. Its pretty cool walking outside the resort and hearing constant christmas music!

Have you thought of a split stay? You can enjoy a couple nights at WL and then head over to BC for the rest of your stay. You will only have to pay under 1k that way.

Our absolute favorite hotel (s) are Beach and Yacht Club. We were there 2 Xmas's ago and is beautiful that time of year

You won't be staying at the BC on DVC points. You'll be staying at the BCVillas which are totally different from the BC in decor. And a separate building connected by a covered walkway. Just like you can't stay at WL on DVC points because of VWL being part of the resort.

I just checked the member website and there is nothing available at BCV for Dec 1-6. That week is the most popular week with DVC members and gets booked up at 11 months out. Even SSR and OKW don't have availability for that time.

BC has the better pool but no guarantee of a balcony. Neither may matter in december though. That's your call. WL has better access to MK (boat). BC has better access to HS and EP. WL is more peaceful and serene in my view. Not sure but I think the standard room in BC is a few feet bigger too.

WL is our favorite during the holidays but take the points!!! You'll be a couple of minute walk from Epcot and it's always beautifully decorated for the holidays.

Thanks for your response! However, I want to be engulfed in that Christmassy/Holiday feel the entire trip and not just for a dinner. So I guess what it truly comes down to is: is the feel and decorations that much better in WL during the holidays that it's worth paying $350/night over a free stay at BC?

I agree with what one of the other posters said after me. Any of the resorts you go to are gonna have the Christmassy and Holiday feeling. They're all gonna have decorations and trees up and have music playing. However WL does has a more cozy and wintery feeling. I'd definitely prefer to stay there, but I don't know if the "taller than usual" Christmas tree in the lobby is worth almost $400 a night to do so, especially when you can stay at BC for nothing.

The hotels at Disney aren't really worth $350/night to begin with. I would go with free. BC location is also a plus.

Greetings everyone,

I'm in the minority as I would go with the WL. The WL is amazing anytime of year, but especially so during the holidays. The lobby is gorgeous and has a cozy/homey feel with the huge fireplace surrounded by rocking chairs :cloud9:. We've stayed at the BC during December, but never in any of the BC villas, but I did have a chance to see a studio and it just didn't do anything for me. The BC is nice and the lobby is nicely decorated, but IMO, it doesn't compare to the WL. With that said, free is always nice, but it wouldn't be worth it to me if it meant me staying somewhere I wasn't thrilled about staying (but that's just me). Good luck.

However, I want to be engulfed in that Christmassy/Holiday feel the entire trip and not just for a dinner. So I guess what it truly comes down to is: is the feel and decorations that much better in WL during the holidays that it's worth paying $350/night over a free stay at BC?

IMO.....YES :thumbsup2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter