• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wilderness Lodge Mess

My biggest issue right now is that I still haven't been notified from Disney about the pool closure and my 60 day mark is this Sunday. I called our AAA agent who booked for us and she had no idea. I would call guest services but I'm sure they won't help me because I booked through an agent. We would have most likely been blindsided by the pool closure upon arrival if it weren't for this board. So even if it's bad news.... I really appreciate all of you. :)

This is my situation. No letter yet from Disney, but I used a TA. I was the one who told the TA about the construction, and had her book us at both the CR and the GF (we are room only). I figured that I'd wait to see if any disounts are offered and go with the cheapest. I have until 11/10 to cancel anything I don't need because we don't arrive until 11/15.

But honestly, based on what I'm reading, shouldn't my TA (Dreams Unlimited) be on the phone trying to get Disney to pay at least half of the upgrade? Or is it too early and I should just wait unil the discounts come out and I have all my numbers ready. Then make my decision and tell the TA I'm cancelling all 3 reservations unless Disney ponies up?

I hate this....

This is my situation. No letter yet from Disney, but I used a TA. I was the one who told the TA about the construction, and had her book us at both the CR and the GF (we are room only). I figured that I'd wait to see if any disounts are offered and go with the cheapest. I have until 11/10 to cancel anything I don't need because we don't arrive until 11/15.

But honestly, based on what I'm reading, shouldn't my TA (Dreams Unlimited) be on the phone trying to get Disney to pay at least half of the upgrade? Or is it too early and I should just wait unil the discounts come out and I have all my numbers ready. Then make my decision and tell the TA I'm cancelling all 3 reservations unless Disney ponies up?

I hate this....

Hey MamaBear...I don't know what to do either bec I still can't decide where to stay...I prefer WL but I want to wait and see pics once it starts....

I also don't get all of this bec of what Kook said - how we can ask for rate reductions upon check in (not now).

Did you get transferred to guest services? When I called in, I had already switched my reservation to a much more expensive resort. I told them that when I ran this by my wife, she said no way it's too much just cancel. And now I have a heartbroken 5 year old. I was transferred to guest services. I told them the same story and that I couldn't believe the only options were two resorts that are torn up or pay twice as much. The cm was hard selling the GF and put me on hold to see if they could help with the difference between WL and GF. When she came back on talking about garden view outside building rooms at GF, I stuck to my guns about the resort I had already switch over to. She put me on hold again. It took about an hour all said and done, but I am extremely happy about the deal they offered. Maybe it was because I told them I was cancelling.

I would try calling back. Good luck.

What resort did you change to? Did you do this a while back?

I'm just curious what your options were...

Hey MamaBear...I don't know what to do either bec I still can't decide where to stay...I prefer WL but I want to wait and see pics once it starts....

I also don't get all of this bec of what Kook said - how we can ask for rate reductions upon check in (not now).

Hey you!!

With all due respect to Kook, that is just kookie:dance3: Once I've checked in..they've got me. Not to mention that my TA won't be there to advocate for me. I see no reason why they would offer the discount at that point. And the truth is...I don't want my WL upgraded Courtyard view if it is of a pool under construction that we can't even use. If there really is no chance of construction being done by 11/15, I don't want to be there.

Problem is that I'm not the least bit excited about CR and the GF is so expensive. So right now Disney has $1736.98 in deposits from me for 3 rooms (not to mention the deposits for the pre-pay ADRs). And I really just want to cancel it all because I've lost my mojo for what was supposed to be a magical vacation.

What resort did you change to? Did you do this a while back?

I'm just curious what your options were...

The day the pool closure was confirmed by Disney, I called and switched to CR. I didn't push for any reduction then. I received the letter from WL, but just threw it in the recycling bin. I saw a post on this thread where someone called the number on the letter and got $500 off or half the difference to move to GF. I figured I would call. The first cm wasn't too helpful and transferred me to guest services to see if they could help. I explained the situation and the cm was trying to push me to GF. She said let me put you on hold and see if we can get you to GF and cover some of the difference. She came back on and was trying to get me to GF with the garden view outside building room. I asked her why they were trying to push me to GF and told her being able to walk to MK was very appealing to me. She put me on hold again. Both holds were probably 15-20 minutes long. She came back and offered me an amazing deal that was far better than I expected. I gladly accepted.

Hey you!!

With all due respect to Kook, that is just kookie:dance3: Once I've checked in..they've got me. Not to mention that my TA won't be there to advocate for me. I see no reason why they would offer the discount at that point. And the truth is...I don't want my WL upgraded Courtyard view if it is of a pool under construction that we can't even use. If there really is no chance of construction being done by 11/15, I don't want to be there.

Problem is that I'm not the least bit excited about CR and the GF is so expensive. So right now Disney has $1736.98 in deposits from me for 3 rooms (not to mention the deposits for the pre-pay ADRs). And I really just want to cancel it all because I've lost my mojo for what was supposed to be a magical vacation.

Did you see I wrote to you somewhere on here when rooms opened up? Like cheaper rooms? There still might be some...on that day there were all levels of outer buildings for Nov 14-20....the same day they released rooms everywhere (or so I hear).

Did you see I wrote to you somewhere on here when rooms opened up? Like cheaper rooms? There still might be some...on that day there were all levels of outer buildings for Nov 14-20....the same day they released rooms everywhere (or so I hear).

I did thanks, but really want a water view because that is what we were going to have at WL.

The day the pool closure was confirmed by Disney, I called and switched to CR. I didn't push for any reduction then. I received the letter from WL, but just threw it in the recycling bin. I saw a post on this thread where someone called the number on the letter and got $500 off or half the difference to move to GF. I figured I would call. The first cm wasn't too helpful and transferred me to guest services to see if they could help. I explained the situation and the cm was trying to push me to GF. She said let me put you on hold and see if we can get you to GF and cover some of the difference. She came back on and was trying to get me to GF with the garden view outside building room. I asked her why they were trying to push me to GF and told her being able to walk to MK was very appealing to me. She put me on hold again. Both holds were probably 15-20 minutes long. She came back and offered me an amazing deal that was far better than I expected. I gladly accepted.

I actually just called this weekend and a similar thing happened.

They were going to move me to Boardwalk for the same amount of money. I saw before I called that they had rooms open for about $500 more and was considering the switch anyway. I haven't stayed there, so I was interested, but I still wanted to be near the MK.

So, I asked about GF and she put me on hold and came back with an amazing deal for a Lagoon View room! Like you said, it was way more than I expected!

I would have considered CR, but the only rooms left were suites I believe, so holding out for a cancelation would have been a lot work, luck and good timing! I haven't stayed at the GF for years and my niece wanted to stay there after she went to the tea there on the last trip!

The woman at Guest Services was amazing and so helpful! I even wrote a letter to Disney letting them know about her!

No discounts are available for my trip yet, but I'm wondering if I am still eligible to receive one once they come out, etc. Obviously, I'd take the discount if I am able to, but I'm staying at GF for such a wonderful rate that if I don't get it I'm still more than satisfied.

Has anyone staying in the Villas switched? I'm curious as the only other options in the MK area for Villas are sold out the third week of November. I'm considering a switch to BWV as they are priced almost the same as VWL.

I never got a letter but I called the number listed here today anyway. I booked my WL ressie through UK Expedia and because I didn't book directly through Disney, they can't offer me anything like the upgrades or discounts that many of you are reporting.

Now, I will say that this doesn't bother me. I got an awesome deal on the WL as it is, we will be there at the end of the renovations and the pool just might be open and we weren't planning to go to the pool at the end of November anyway. And with a standard room booked, I'm not worried about view issues. We booked it for the Christmas decorations and those will still be there.

So for those who didn't book directly, be advised that you may not get what a lot of other people are regarding the pool issue. I was told that since Disney doesn't control my reservation I'd have to contact Expedia see what they will do (which I'm certain will be nothing.)

So how is it that some are offered special pricing and others are not? Not feeling the Disney Magic when some folks are being given hundreds off and others are being told there is nothing Disney can do. Just doesn't look right!

I never got a letter but I called the number listed here today anyway. I booked my WL ressie through UK Expedia and because I didn't book directly through Disney, they can't offer me anything like the upgrades or discounts that many of you are reporting.

Now, I will say that this doesn't bother me. I got an awesome deal on the WL as it is, we will be there at the end of the renovations and the pool just might be open and we weren't planning to go to the pool at the end of November anyway. And with a standard room booked, I'm not worried about view issues. We booked it for the Christmas decorations and those will still be there.

So for those who didn't book directly, be advised that you may not get what a lot of other people are regarding the pool issue. I was told that since Disney doesn't control my reservation I'd have to contact Expedia see what they will do (which I'm certain will be nothing.)

That's a great way of looking at the situation!

You're going to have a great time regardless of the pool situation. We stayed at WL 2 years ago and loved it, but we only used the pool once! My niece can actually swim now, so I'm sure we would have used it more this time... But to be honest, we aren't in the room a whole lot and we spend even less time at the pool!

I'm sure the Christmas decorations will be amazing!

I would try contacting Expedia. It may not lead to anything, but at least you tried!

So how is it that some are offered special pricing and others are not? Not feeling the Disney Magic when some folks are being given hundreds off and others are being told there is nothing Disney can do. Just doesn't look right!

This is where the internet can kill the magic... If not for us sharing this information on these boards we wouldn't know who was getting (or not getting) what.

Well sadly we waited too long and upon calling back this morning here are no longer discounted standard view rooms available at the BeachClub - and the pool view is just too expensive for our short 4day/3night stay (Sept 10-13).

So it's down to staying put at the WL or moving to the AKL for the same price, or just dropping down to a Moderate Resort and staying at CS or something similar. GS has been helpful both times we've talked, but certainly haven't gone out of their way as I would have expected given the short notice of this planned refurbishment...

Well after a lot of conversation amongst my wife and I to figure out what we wanted to do and where we want to stay for our quick trip in mid-September - and some great encouragement from others on this thread - I called back once again this morning.

After being elevated to Guest Services from the regular Cast Member they were able to get us in to the BC for a very, very good price. He tried to get us in the GF or CR for a similar price to keep us in the MK area but availability didn't allow it without an increase in price.

Anyway I'd just like to thank everyone here for the encouragement to keep calling and asking questions - while we didn't get to keep our MK resort area as we had hoped initially, we're happy with what Disney ended up doing for us and making it all good.

Well after a lot of conversation amongst my wife and I to figure out what we wanted to do and where we want to stay for our quick trip in mid-September - and some great encouragement from others on this thread - I called back once again this morning.

After being elevated to Guest Services from the regular Cast Member they were able to get us in to the BC for a very, very good price. He tried to get us in the GF or CR for a similar price to keep us in the MK area but availability didn't allow it without an increase in price.

Anyway I'd just like to thank everyone here for the encouragement to keep calling and asking questions - while we didn't get to keep our MK resort area as we had hoped initially, we're happy with what Disney ended up doing for us and making it all good.

Awesome news. Glad you finally got it worked out. You will love the BC. As far as availability goes, I think they have tons of it at GF. It must be ok at CR because they let me upgrade to TPV for a very minimal cost.

Just looking for clarification- for the people calling in and getting deals on room rates, are you on free dining? I'm assuming not, but want to confirm. Planning first disney trip for friend 11/19-11/23. Most of their time will be in MK so wanted that area. Not having the pool isn't a big deal but noise/big mess could be. GF doesn't have any more FD rooms for these dates. Room discount packages don't extend out this far... Trying to give her best options, so opinions welcome!

I am on free dining . no luck. I tried several times. very disappointed. I moved to animal kingdom but fearing the isolation

Awesome news. Glad you finally got it worked out.
Thanks so much for the help, really appreciate it.
It must be ok at CR because they let me upgrade to TPV for a very minimal cost.
All they had left at CR was Club Level and they said they couldn't do a deal for that, which I totally understand since it was WAY out of our orig price at WL. I did try my best though...

And we're only there for 3 nights/4 days - no free dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter