Wilderness Lodge Fun

bytheblood

DIS Veteran
Hi WL Vets and visitors of the like.

:wave2:

As you can see by my countdown clock, I will be visiting the WL in December. I am looking forward to it as this is my first stay.

:yay:

Sorry in advance for the rehash. I hate repeating myself, so I know how redundancy can be a beat-down. ;) I hope you do not mind answering for me, though. I started reading through the WL FAQ, but between the outdated info and pages and pages of "thanks for the info", "glad I found this site", "I love WL" and posts of the like, it become too much to read, so I thought I would ask my questions for a direct answer. :rolleyes1

We are not big on swimming, especially in December, so I am curious what else there is to do. I know of the restaurants and boat ride to the MK, but at the resort itself, what other things are not to be missed? What are some ways you relax at the resort, maybe not necessarily in your room?

TIA! :thanks:

I started reading through the WL FAQ, but between the outdated info and pages and pages of "thanks for the info", "glad I found this site", "I love WL" and posts of the like, it become too much to read, so I thought I would ask my questions for a direct answer.

Just wondering if you read the first page of the FAQ Thread? I update all the information posted there every few months so I'm not sure about your "outdated" statement even the cost of rentals is updated when prices are increased. I have many activities listed in the second post of the thread page 1, that not only cover Wilderness Lodge and Villas but Ft. Wilderness also. Some activities are seasonal though.

Beckie

No need to get defensive...I was really making reference to the age of many of the replies....not your info. ;)

I am looking for specifics from the people who have found fun things to do...not necessarily a FAQ on the resort itself.

depends upon you and may be able to go swimming in Dec.

there is a lounge.

a big fireplace that is nice for sitting and people watching. bunch of little areas again for sitting and people watching - this is all in the lobby.

you can do the WL tour.

walking, biking, jogging to FW.

boating.

the little areas between 3rd and 4th floor. one has a nice fireplace, the other has a reading area.

go over to VWL and play the games. or the arcade.

there is storytelling - but more for little kids.

Nope not defensive at all it isn't who or how I am, :rotfl: I was just worried you had missed all the information that has been collected.

All during December the Lodge has special entertainers that come in each night, it's nice to watch either in the Lobby or from the balcony around the Lobby, in a big rocker.

The sleigh rides are also offered during the holidays.

We enjoy the Hidden Micky's Hunt @ the Lodge.

Beckie

When you check in, ask if they have any openings for the "flag family". You get to go up on the roof in the morning (7:30 ish) with one of the cast members and help them raise the flags. (I think they had four flags) Then you can take pictures, and you have a great view of the Magic Kingdom resort area. They only let one family go each morning

Wish I knew that little known fact last year DannyfromBoston! Got any Beach Club secrets for 2007?:)

Most of my recommendations around the resort itself have been mentioned (except for watching the geyser and the electric water parade), but one of the things I enjoy doing is not actually at the resort itself. I like to take the smaller boat over to the Contemporary from the WL, shop in the shops there, and then hop on the monorail and visit the other two MK resorts, then back to CR and catch the WL boat.

Have a great stay! It's one of my favorite resorts.

We really enjoy renting a pontoon boat for an hour and just driving around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. You could even take some picnic snacks with you and have a picnic on the Lake. And even in December or January usually you will have at least one or two days of your vacation that are really nice enough to do this, even if you don't plan to swim (although don't discount swimming totally....we've been there in both December and January with daytime temps in the mid 80's and plenty warm enough for swimming). When visiting in the winter months, you really need to be prepared for all types of weather.......ranging from low 40's to mid 80's....from day to day. One of DH's and our two DS's favorite activities is just relaxing in lobby of WL or VWL in the evening with a good book. I personally like VWL lobby better because it's quieter and more conducive to reading.

We only stayed in the WL for a couple of days, and those days were packed full of activity outside of the resort (so I can't help with your original question)

I just want to tell you that you are going to love your stay there.:love:
The decorations at X-Mas time are just beautiful - you will love it :santa:

Have a wonderful trip!!! :wave:

I love the Wilderness Lodge so much that I sold my DVC membership at Old Key West and bought at the Wilderness Lodge Villas. Christmastime is extra special at WL as the decorations make a beautiful resort extraordinary. I love to sit by the fireplace on the 2nd floor and drink hot cocoa. I love to walk on the nature trail early in the morning to the campgrounds. You'll see all kinds of wildlife if you're quiet enough. I love to ride the boats to the resorts and MK, rent my own boat for a half day on the lake, eat breakfast by the pool and watch the ducks, shop at the mercantile, take a tour of the lodge with Ranger Stan, drink coffee on my balcony and look out at the lake, relax in the hot tub after a long day at the parks and dining at Artist Point. You'll love the lodge.

a big fireplace that is nice for sitting and people watching. bunch of little areas again for sitting and people watching - this is all in the lobby.

you can do the WL tour.

the little areas between 3rd and 4th floor. one has a nice fireplace, the other has a reading area.

Excellent. Thank you Spicycat....this is the kind of info I am looking for.

Nope not defensive at all it isn't who or how I am, :rotfl: I was just worried you had missed all the information that has been collected.

All during December the Lodge has special entertainers that come in each night, it's nice to watch either in the Lobby or from the balcony around the Lobby, in a big rocker.

The sleigh rides are also offered during the holidays.

We enjoy the Hidden Micky's Hunt @ the Lodge.

Beckie

Cool! :thumbsup2 Tone is hard to detect when you are reading it...knowing you, I would not have thought you would get defensive, but the quotations threw me off. ;)

I love the idea of a sleigh ride...and a Hidden Mickey hunt would be great for my daughter.

We really enjoy renting a pontoon boat for an hour and just driving around Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. You could even take some picnic snacks with you and have a picnic on the Lake. And even in December or January usually you will have at least one or two days of your vacation that are really nice enough to do this, even if you don't plan to swim (although don't discount swimming totally....we've been there in both December and January with daytime temps in the mid 80's and plenty warm enough for swimming). When visiting in the winter months, you really need to be prepared for all types of weather.......ranging from low 40's to mid 80's....from day to day. One of DH's and our two DS's favorite activities is just relaxing in lobby of WL or VWL in the evening with a good book. I personally like VWL lobby better because it's quieter and more conducive to reading.

A picnic sounds great.

It is not really that I am concerned about the weather that steers me from the idea of swimming, we are just not big on swimming. :) But we may venture to the hot tub in the evening after a long day in the park.

Thank you for the info about the VWL lobby, we will have to check that one out for sure. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter