• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

wilderness lodge cabins

bratray

<font color=red>Disney Planning Addict<br><font co
hello

looking to go 8\27 to 9\3 and possible stay at the wilderness cabins
please can anyone provide info; good or bad
how far are these accomodations from main wdw parks
should i rent a car
what is their bus service like
any comments would be appreciated

thanks

lisa

The cabins are awesome! They are especially great if you have kids. You can go with a rental car if you are impatient. I prefer to rent a golf cart for getting around the campsite. If you have any specific questions, ask away!

One tiny correction to your question... It's "Fort Wilderness cabins".

The buses are fine. No way would taking a car to the Parks be quicker or easier. Within the campground itself, the use of your car is greatly limited. You can park it at the cabin, but generally you *cannot* take it anywhere (i.e. the Settlement Post store, the Marina and the resturant.

Many folks rent golf carts to get around the camp ground itself, but that has nothing to do with getting to a park. You can take the golf cart to the marina. The carts rent for about $20 a day ( based on a few years ago...)

Getting to MK is best by boat. For other Parks, take the bus.

Originally posted by raparker13
The buses are fine. No way would taking a car to the Parks be quicker or easier. . . Getting to MK is best by boat. For other Parks, take the bus.

We had our car with us, and I agree, getting to and from the MK was best by boat, but we found it much faster to get from DD and the West Side, when we took our own car. Also, it was a bit faster to get to AK and Epcot when we took our own car...but only by maybe five minutes. We both drove and took the buses, depending on our itinerary for the day. At night we took the buses if we went to Epcot, rather than have to drive back exhausted (it was worth the extra 5 minutes)....but during the days that we did only half days at the parks, we preferred to take our own car.

All in all however, I thought the buses were excellent, and if you aren't going to have your own car with you, and you aren't visiting anywhere outside of WDW, I'd stick with the buses and skip renting a car...

A golf cart rental would probably be a good idea though, for when you are getting from the cabins to the Trading Post, or the boat launch, or even the laundry and pools.

We love the cabins, hope you do too!
Sue

We stayed here a few years ago. It is a great place to stay. I agree with the earlier comment as with kids it is a great place.

We had three small children 3, 8 and 12. It was nice to come back in the afternoon, make lunch on the grill or in the kitchen and put the small one down for a short nap.

We rented the golf cart and the kids loved it. We rented it on a
day where we did not do any parks. The older kids went horseback riding and myself and my 3 year old neice took the
golf cart for a cruise, saw the ptting farm and took a pony ride.

The busses are just as convienent as with the other resorts.

It is definately a place to stay if you are on a budget. Full size
kitchen. Just make one trip to the Goodings when you first get there and you have a stocked fridge.

Give it a try.

Hope this helps.
-Kim

Just make one trip to the Goodings when you first get there and you have a stocked fridge.
Try to stay away from Goodings if at all possible...they are very expensive!

I agree that Goodings is very expensive.... for essentials, try Publix. That's where we went when we stayed at the FW Cabins. For the little stuff that you forgot and decided you wish you'd brought, you can grab some groceries at the Trading Post. It's not cheap there either, but it's less expensive than Goodings.

Don't get me wrong, I love Goodings for some things, like cheeses and such, but not for everyday groceries.

Sue

Hi!

If you don't have a car, you probably don't need to rent one. You can park it for a short time (15 min?) outside the meadows trading post, but not near the restaurant (trails end) or boats to MK.

When you stay at the cabins you need to take an internal FW bus to either end of the campground (Settlement or OUtpost) to catch another bus or boat to the parks. Settlement has the MK boat & I think the MGM bus. Settlement also has a store, restaurant, bar, petting farm. Outpost has the Epcot bus and trail rides. They will give you the info at check in.

For complete info on transportation, read this thread Ft wilderness transportation

There is also the meadows area, near the middle of the campground. THis is where the nightly campfire is held. There is a pool & store here.

There is another small pool near the 2500 & 2600 loops (all cabins). You can walk there from either of these loops.

I loved the cabin, but feel that a golf cart would make it easier to get around. We didn't have one. It's also nice to have a car for groceries, since you have a full kitchen. If you taking a town car from the airport & doing a grocery stop, be sure to have a complete list ahead of time!

If you are comparing a cabin to 2 rooms, the downsides are
- 1 sink & it's in the bathroom
- 1 TV in the living room

Have fun deciding!

the fw "cabinets" as my 4 year old call's them are a wonderfull place to stay esp with kids..i would highly rec them !

thank you everyone for all the great tips!!

just can't wait!!

lisa:p

BRATRAY

we usually go to wdw 12 to 16 times a year...we usually stay in the "cabinets" (4 year old talk) about half that time...it is the only place we stay with 4 kids....you will love it...plenty of room..a full kitchen ect ect..hope this helps

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter