Wilderness Lodge @ 7 Months Pre-Xmas

jrtoastyman

Purveyor of Fine Latex Products
We're thinking of doing a trip during the first couple of weeks of December of 2013 and are contemplating staying at VWL because I've heard the Xmas decor is awesome there. We're BLT owners, though, so we'd be trying to book at 7 months.

Anyone have a sense of how likely we'd be to get something there around that time booking at 7 months? Given its reputation for being a great Xmas spot, I would assume demand would be high, but who knows?

FWIW, we'd be wanting to book either a 1 BR (preferably) or possibly a studio.

Thanks!

See the following thread where I covered availability at 7 months out for the month of Dec this year http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2919467&highlight=december. Chances of getting a near to a park resort for time you want are very slim although seeking a 1BR gives you a little better chance than other room sizes. I have also been following other times of the year and it is my conclusion that the first week of the Dec is the higherst DVC demand week of the year, second is Christmas week, and third is the second week of Dec. In fact, if you actually want to assure getting something at a near park resort for a week or more at the time of year you want to go you should reserve BLT, your home resort, the moment the 11 month window opens.

See the following thread where I covered availability at 7 months out for the month of Dec this year http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2919467&highlight=december. Chances of getting a near to a park resort for time you want are very slim although seeking a 1BR gives you a little better chance than other room sizes. I have also been following other times of the year and it is my conclusion that the first week of the Dec is the higherst DVC demand week of the year, second is Christmas week, and third is the second week of Dec. In fact, if you actually want to assure getting something at a near park resort for a week or more at the time of year you want to go you should reserve BLT, your home resort, the moment the 11 month window opens.

That's very helpful, thanks. We had definitely planned on booking at BLT at the earliest possible opportunity regardless, and it looks like we may very well end up staying there, which is fine. Interesting that that is such a busy time, would not have expected that...

The first half of Dec has (a) all the Christmas decorations and parades and Mickey's Christmas Party, (b) reasonable park crowds, (c) the annual DVC board/members meeting, (d) the lowest season point cost, and (e) usually low cost flights and rental cars. Thus, it is a natural for very high DVC demand particularly for any DVC members whose kids are older and are no longer imprisoned by school schedules.

We had to cancel a studio for a long weekend, the second one in December, so waitlists work, at VWL, and there are always people here who are happy they got things like BCV, BWV for F&W, or VWL in December. I felt lucky that I was able to get a studio and a 2 bedroom at OKW for the next weekend. This was only in August, so at 4 months out, I tweaked my December vacation.

This december, we wanted a studio for one day around the 15th at VWL and at 7 months only certain days were open. There were no consecutive days available.

This year there were no consecutive days available for 12/1-12/5 for studios/1bdrms at the 7month mark, at least for us.

With the increasing DVC membership and demand for accomodations at certain times of the year soaring, getting a resort near a park is extremely difficult the first 10-14 days of December for all the reasons stated in previous replies at seven months. That said, a few years back, I got a boardwalk view studio at BWV for three nights. Doubt I would have such luck now.

We're thinking of doing a trip during the first couple of weeks of December of 2013 and are contemplating staying at VWL because I've heard the Xmas decor is awesome there. We're BLT owners, though, so we'd be trying to book at 7 months.

Anyone have a sense of how likely we'd be to get something there around that time booking at 7 months? Given its reputation for being a great Xmas spot, I would assume demand would be high, but who knows?

FWIW, we'd be wanting to book either a 1 BR (preferably) or possibly a studio.

Thanks!
Each of the responses makes a salient point; however, using the waitlist (after booking at BLT to ensure you have a room) might work out. We bought VWL a couple of years ago and closed in May. Nothing was open the first week of December at VWL, so we employed the waitlist. It took nearly four months but our waitlist did finally come through. I'd say book BLT, waitlist for VWL, and hope for some pixie dust. ;)

It is hard because the resort is small and that is a popular time, but it is not impossible and use wait list.

I will also tell you that personally I would book at BLT, because you can enjoy the decorations at the Lodge without staying there. The decorations in the villa are nothing spectacular in my opinion and honestly I was disappointed in the villa ones and the ones at the Lodge are not as grand as they used to be.

Also at this time of year so many people are coming to the Lodge to see the tree, it was really crowded all the time in the lobby, the restaurants, the buses, the parking lots.

I prefer to stay somewhere less popular and just book a meal.

I think your chances would be pretty good if you call first thing in morning of the seventh month out. We will be staying there this year from the 15th to 23rd of Dec. in a two bedroom and when we booked they had several spots available.
Good luck, :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter