Wild Africa Trek possible food illness. UPDATE - Final Report

You have to check the label on the hand sanitizer. Not all kill the same things. And some are better than others.

True - norovirus (common form of stomach flu) is resistant to all hand sanitizers. Washing hands with soap and hot water if much more effective - I write a note for daughters school telling them NOT to use it on her (they squirt it on students constantly), she should wash her hands the old fashioned way.

True - norovirus (common form of stomach flu) is resistant to all hand sanitizers. Washing hands with soap and hot water if much more effective - I write a note for daughters school telling them NOT to use it on her (they squirt it on students constantly), she should wash her hands the old fashioned way.

I wish more people knew this! I got the norovirus 4 years ago from a restaurant most likely because no one washed their hands with soap and water and it spread like crazy in the restaurant. I was hospitalized for 3 days.

There is a good chance they won't be able to pinpoint exactly what it was. I'm sorry everyone got sick :(

I've read that hand sanitizers containing benzalkonium chloride / benzethonium chloride are more effective than alcohol-based formulas against norovirus. Not sure if it's accurate, but I figure it's worth a shot, especially when you don't have access to soap and water.

I did not know that norovirus was resistant to hand sanitizers. I know when we're in the parks I'm a hand sanitizer freak and I make my kids use it as well. Thanks for the info!

I've read that hand sanitizers containing benzalkonium chloride / benzethonium chloride are more effective than alcohol-based formulas against norovirus. Not sure if it's accurate, but I figure it's worth a shot, especially when you don't have access to soap and water.

Hand sanitizer should really be for when there isn't access to soap & water. I found out about the norovirus because at my daughters school (where they squirt each student on the way in and way out of lunch room) almost 400 students out of 1100 developed vomiting & were absent - at first they thought it was food poisoning (ruled that out as over half took a packed lunch). Turned out to be the norovirus which then posed the question from parents of how when they use so much sanitizer :confused3

I did not know that norovirus was resistant to hand sanitizers. I know when we're in the parks I'm a hand sanitizer freak and I make my kids use it as well. Thanks for the info!

You're welcome - also, remember that sanitizers strip your hands of its natural oils which in years to come can result in sore dry skin that can crack easily.

I don't even carry hand sanitizer into the parks. :scared1: Instead, we just duck into one of the many restrooms and wash our hands before we go eat. Plus, with DD6, we are in the restroom quite frequently during the day so we have plenty of opportunities to wash our hands!

My husband, daughter and I were on the Wild Africa Trek at 8 am on July 2. None of us got sick after the Trek; as a matter of fact, we had a fabulous time. Today, out of the blue, I got a phone call from the Orange County Health Department saying they were investigating an illness that may have affected people that were on the Trek in June/July. At first, I almost thought it was a prank phone call, but proceeded to listen and answer questions. The questions were so specific that I soon realized, this was not a joke. She asked a lot about the water, the "Jungle Juice" and the food, but she seemed to really be focusing on if/when we washed our hands (and with what) and the binoculars (both on the truck and at the lunch area). I answered the questions to the best of my ability for myself, my husband and my daughter.

Then, tonight, she called again - wanting to verify some facts that I told her (again, mostly about the washing of the hands and the binoculars) and also said she would like to talk to my husband directly. (For the record, all 3 of us washed our hands with soap and water BEFORE we ate lunch and again BEFORE we left the lunch area and returned to the truck). Also, my husband and daughter used the binoculars both on the truck and at the lunch area, but I didn't (I had a camera). My husband ate everything on his plate, and most of what was on mine and my daughter's. This leads me to believe that whatever is causing this horrible illness might not be the food, but instead, something that folks came in contact with (something on those binoculars??) and they didn't wash their hands at the right time? I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but this has me very concerned. I asked her if we could have some illness that hasn't manifested itself yet, and she said that doesn't seem likely based on what other folks have been reporting.

Another thing she wanted to verify was if we filled up our water canteens at the harness station (at the beginning of the trek) and at the midway point. We did, but my daughter and I didn't drink very much water because I wasn't sure when/if a bathroom would be available. The Health Department rep also asked if we washed our hands at Animal Kingdom AFTER the Trek was done (we had).

I feel so bad for the folks that got sick, and I hope that Disney/Orange County Health Department find out the source of this so it never happens again. I'm very impressed at the thoroughness of the questions I was asked, and I'm glad they are taking this seriously.

My husband, daughter and I were on the Wild Africa Trek at 8 am on July 2. None of us got sick after the Trek; as a matter of fact, we had a fabulous time. Today, out of the blue, I got a phone call from the Orange County Health Department saying they were investigating an illness that may have affected people that were on the Trek in June/July. At first, I almost thought it was a prank phone call, but proceeded to listen and answer questions. The questions were so specific that I soon realized, this was not a joke. She asked a lot about the water, the "Jungle Juice" and the food, but she seemed to really be focusing on if/when we washed our hands (and with what) and the binoculars (both on the truck and at the lunch area). I answered the questions to the best of my ability for myself, my husband and my daughter.

Then, tonight, she called again - wanting to verify some facts that I told her (again, mostly about the washing of the hands and the binoculars) and also said she would like to talk to my husband directly. (For the record, all 3 of us washed our hands with soap and water BEFORE we ate lunch and again BEFORE we left the lunch area and returned to the truck). Also, my husband and daughter used the binoculars both on the truck and at the lunch area, but I didn't (I had a camera). My husband ate everything on his plate, and most of what was on mine and my daughter's. This leads me to believe that whatever is causing this horrible illness might not be the food, but instead, something that folks came in contact with (something on those binoculars??) and they didn't wash their hands at the right time? I don't know, I'm not a doctor, but this has me very concerned. I asked her if we could have some illness that hasn't manifested itself yet, and she said that doesn't seem likely based on what other folks have been reporting.

Another thing she wanted to verify was if we filled up our water canteens at the harness station (at the beginning of the trek) and at the midway point. We did, but my daughter and I didn't drink very much water because I wasn't sure when/if a bathroom would be available. The Health Department rep also asked if we washed our hands at Animal Kingdom AFTER the Trek was done (we had).

I feel so bad for the folks that got sick, and I hope that Disney/Orange County Health Department find out the source of this so it never happens again. I'm very impressed at the thoroughness of the questions I was asked, and I'm glad they are taking this seriously.

Now there is a great first post! :welcome: to the DISBoards!

We are doing the Trek in 3 weeks so hopefully they have this figured out and we won't have to worry. We will be sure to wash hands thoroughly before eating and jour daughter is an ER physician assistant so she always has hand sanitizer with her that she gets from the ER. Of all the things mentioned, the melon would be the thing that worried me. I work in food service and am certified in food safety and most people don't realize that melons of any type can cause cross-contamination easily. All it takes is for the melon not to have been washed before it was cut and you could have a problem. I am sure that Disney and the Health Dept. are taking steps to make sure everything is done right.

My friend and I just got back from Disney and did the Trek on July 13th. Happy to report that neither of us became ill from the Trek. I really hope that they narrowed down the culprit. A couple of things came to mind while reading this post... there was a cooler of water for us to re-fill our canteens at the end of the bridges. Because our golf course at home had problems with these and people getting sick, I choose not to refill my bottle nor did my friend. The other item would be the "iced" towels that they give you once on the truck for the savanna portion of the Trek? They did not smell very good they smelled very wet with some sort of chemicals. Just wondering if this wet towel that was prepackaged may somehow add bateria to hands and get transferred to the food? This Trek was an incredible experience for both of us and I would encourage anyone reading this post to not get too afraid to try it. I'm sure Disney is working diligently with the health dept. to get to the bottom of any illness. So sorry to those of you who became ill. Hope everyone is on the mend and feeling much better.

Thank you for the updates -- I appreciate these reports that indicate Disney and the health department are seriously working on finding the culprit. We are looking forward to our Wild Africa Trek in about 3 weeks. There will be much handwashing in my family!!

Very interesting information. We just purchased this tour for an upcoming trip. So sorry to all of you who were ill, that's so awful. Have any of you heard of anything that indicates anything further than what has been posted here? Please continue to update. The sharing of information is helpful for so many.

:grouphug:,
Dreams

Thanks to everyone for posting this information. I found this thread by searching the forums because we're contemplating doing the Trek in November. Because of the cost I wanted to see what people thought about it before we made a decision.

As a side note, after no problems in our previous 30 WDW trips, last Winter my husband and I both became sick midway through our trip. Chatting with others in our loop in FW, we found that several others had also taken ill. (My guess is that it was probably something like a norovirus.) We weren't anywhere near as ill as what was described above, but knowing how miserable we were, I can't imagine what those of you who became ill from the Trek went through!

This won't keep us from doing the Trek (although I'm still hesitating because of the cost :)), but I will be interested in following the thread if more results of the investigation become available.

maybe it was the hummus?? awhile ago in chicago we had a lots of people who got sick at the taste of chicago and it ended up being hummus..i wouldn't even think about eating it again after that! :eek:

Curious to see what the end result of this is!
I am a former public health nurse- my guess would also be on an employee. That would also explain the variances in illnesses between guests.

Before I had worked at the health dept, I worked at the ER up the road. We had a big salmonella outbreak (big for our small 22 bed ER). We struggled- the origin of the illness was from a small Mexican food stand, so not a single patient spoke English. We didn't have translators, so we depended on phones that called an interpreter line. We finally would given them IV fluids, meds and send them home.

There was an article posted in the online edition of the Orlando Sentinel today about this food illness incident on the Trek. It was well written and informative.

Last I spoke with Disney about this topic, they told me it could be 2-3 months before their investigation and that of the health department was completed. Not sure what would take that long, but I will post when I hear of any further updates from either one of them.

It is interesting to read other posts about those who have taken the Trek recently. It does seem as if Disney has changed some procedures and processes for the tour. I just hope it keeps others from becoming ill.

Watching a story about this on local news right now. They mentioned the DIS and that a member posted the story awhile back and was the first to contact the health department.

I have this booked for first week in August. I might want to cancel....I don't want to take any chance of getting sick and I have guests with me and this is a 10 year anniversary present for them. Do you think W=Disney is going to give me a problem? i know it non refundable but in this case?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter