Wild Africa Trek at AK

Why do the CMs on the phone keep telling people the age is 9 when the website says age 8. How do we know which one is correct?

Is it possible for you to post a link to the report you read where someone had been given a preview of the tour? Was it a generally positive or negative report?
Debxx;)

Apparently. But I just read an article from someone that got a preview experience and he said the "cliff" is 8 feet high. looks amazing but perhaps not as thrilling as Isney would lead us to believe.

Does anyone know what the tour times are? We're considering but would prefer to do it later in the morning Or lunchtime after we do our morning AK touring plan.
For those of us who have never done something like this, 8 feet is probably thrilling enough!

This sounds really cool. I have a Disney Platinum trip planned for Thanksgiving week wonder if this tour will be included in that plan?? I've done the Sunrise Safari and the Sunset Safari and both were amazing. Would really love to add this one to my tour plans. I'll wait until April to call and get the list of all tours included in the platinum plan and take it from there! Those of you going have a great time!!

~Nannette

I hate that so much of this appears to be visible from Kilimanjaro Safaris.

Look, there are the elephants... giraffes... and, um, a bunch of people grazing on the flavors of Africa.

I just booked our Wild Africa Trek for Thurs, Feb 3. :banana:
Some general information –
The tours seem to be offered every hour from 8:00am to 2:00pm. I booked mine at noon. There seemed to be plenty of availability.
The minimum age has been recently changed from 9 to 8 (as it says on the website). So recent that the computer system hasn’t been updated yet and she had to enter my son as 9.
They also seem to have dropped the height and weight requirements. Now they just advise you that you should be in generally good health because it involves some strenuous walking and climbing.
The tour is rain or shine.
Adult guests must provide photo ID. Guests must sign a liability waiver.
Small cameras and phones are permitted but they must be secured to the safety gear. Lockers are provided for stashing bags and larger items.
The tour is pre-paid but can be cancelled up to 48 hours in advance.
I should add that the CM I talked to was genuinely excited about this tour and can’t wait to try it out. :yay:

I'm surprised the weight restrictions were removed given the nature of the tour. it should be 45 - 310 lbs.

I just booked the tour for Jan 27th. My first choice was Jan 31st but it was full for all times for that day. I was told no photography was allowed on the tour. I am very interested in this tour as I have already gone on the Backstage Safari tour. The CM said the tour goes even if it is raining except during thunderstorms. It can be cancelled 48 hours in advance.

I just booked this tour for our Mom/Daughter Feb. trip :cool1:. I was told we could bring a camera and a cell phone if they fit in the pockets of the safety gear - whatever that means :rotfl:. I will probably take a camera and hope for the best. The tour sounds great - it will be the first tour I've ever done and a surprise for my 16 year old. Availability didn't seem to be an issue.

I'm surprised the weight restrictions were removed given the nature of the tour. it should be 45 - 310 lbs.

There was a post floating about on one of the previous links suggesting that the minimum weight limit was 60 lbs. For a 48" 8 year old, that could be a difficult weight limit. Whether that was an original limit that was later scrapped or simply erroneous information, I do not know, but it is not current policy. I am unclear about maximum weight limits for the safety harness.

it was 45 - 310 as of a couple of days ago, that's why I said it.

I can see how minimum weight can vary during testing, since it's probably dependent on a lot of factors, but I'm sure maximum is pretty solid since you're relying on the ability of the cable to support it in a worst-case scenario. Unless the number of guests on the tour and the combined weight factors into it as well.

it seems to be leaning towards that they'll allow you to keep your camera on your person if it fits, but you may not be able to actually use it. i'm guessing the safety harness has pockets.

Can't wait to hear back from you! I am going in May and was wondering whether to add this tour or not. $189/pp -- prob not going to happen though.

We did splurge on Sea World's Trainer for a Day (before we had kids!:rotfl:) and thought that was absolutely fabulous!!

Just some info to share….when I booked this for our upcoming trip was told by Tour CM that NO cameras, cellphones or video cameras will be allowed

I booked a tour yesterday, and (later) spoke with one of the CMs who will be conducting the tours. They are now saying that you can bring small items such as cellphones or compact cameras, but they must be secured. The primary concern isn't that guests might lose or damage such items -- it's that animals could be injured by such items due to impact or ingestion.

The tours seem to be offered every hour from 8:00am to 2:00pm. I booked mine at noon. There seemed to be plenty of availability.

Yes, it's worth noting that they're now offering tours at noon -- a time that wasn't quoted in the original press release/announcement.

They also seem to have dropped the height and weight requirements. Now they just advise you that you should be in generally good health because it involves some strenuous walking and climbing.

The booking CM I spoke with did quote the age and minimum weight requirements (9, 60 lbs) but didn't quote a maximum weight restriction. She also gave the line about how you should be in 'generally good health.'

The tour is rain or shine.

With a stated exception for severe weather that would make hiking dangerous.

Yesterday they said minimum weight = 60 lbs; no maximum weight stated. It sounds like there's some confusion among the booking CMs as to what the actual requirements are.

I talked with one of the tour guide CMs separately because I had some concerns about one of the people in our group, and the booking CM's warning about "strenuous hiking" was too vague. The upshot is that the guide CM said the trail wasn't really very strenuous... there are a mix of mild uphill and downhill grades. Most of the trail is relatively flat. The trail is not paved, and therefore participants must be able to navigate uneven terrain, step over roots, etc. He thought the most strenuous parts of the hike are when you have to climb staircases to get into the towers to cross the suspension bridge(s?). The upshot is that if somebody has trouble climbing a flight or two of stairs, they should not attempt this hike. Once you're out on the hike, there is no way to get out of climbing the stairs.

He recommended comfortable long pants (not shorts) unless the weather was really hot and humid, as there are places on the trail where lower legs can be brushed/scratched by branches. The break for "snacks" happens at roughly the midpoint of the tour. He described it as a "light meal," almost Tapas-style. He indicated it was more than a snack but not enough to substitute for an actual meal, so it wouldn't be a good idea to cancel dining reservations or a planned CS meal for later.

Hope this helps...

David

it really shouldn't be an issue with CM's being unknowledgeable as they should be reading it off the booking disclaimer. only if they're going off the cuff thinking they know when they shouldn't really being doing it all. I'm tending to believe that it's more that the information is constantly being changed, so it seems it's changing daily, if not more often than that.

I'm tending to believe that it's more that the information is constantly being changed, so it seems it's changing daily, if not more often than that.

You're probably right. I might call one more time closer to our tour date just to make sure nothing significant has changed. (We're going in late February.)

David

I think you're right that it is changing frequently. My booking CM was reading that the min. Age is now 8. But the system wouldn't let her enter anything lower than 9. She said it just changed.

Called last night to book my spot on my March trip. The CM confirmed small cameras are allowed, but require a safety strap, not just be pocketable. It has to be able to attach to your harness. I asked if a normal wrist strap was fine, and she was pretty sure it was.

She also gave me the same info as everyone has stated, Minimum 8 years old & 48 inches tall, strenuous walking, weight restrictions, wear hiking clothes, etc. Rain or shine, and cancelable up to 48 hours in advance. I asked about the pre-test I've heard about, to make sure you are physically fit for the course, and she didn't know anything about it. But then.. she kept saying the tour was "great" and people love it, to which I was like "Oh? I thought it hadn't started yet." She kinda changed the subject on me. :laughing:

I asked about discounts, which she checked into, and no discounts are being given at all, even DVC owners. She also mentioned the price may change again during the summer, so it's better to be going earlier. I'm still going after the introductory rates change over though. :guilty:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter