Wi-Fi on the Magic?

tikihut4

Earning My Ears
Anyone know whether you can access a wire-less internet connection on the Magic? I know from previous cruises about the internet cafe, but someone mentioned that there is a Wi-fi network for the crew. Is that something that guest can access as well?

Thanks,

Tim :badpc:

nope Feb 24th cruise I spoke to a CM that was using a wifi connection on deck 5 and they said no ... would make sense for them to supply it at no charge for passengers though.

It would be nice but with all the money they generate from the internet cafe, not likely anytime soon. Too bad.

I would like it even if we still had to pay for it.... I wonder what they have to pay for internet access for the ship, I know our internet access at work is $$$

I've read that a number of other cruise lines now have wireless access for guests-if Disney already has a network in place for crew it would be simple enough to open it up to passengers, even if they charged for it...........

Two words--

I WISH!

I know that several other cruise lines have this, and it would be very nice to have it on DCL and be able to use my own laptop for internet usage, but for now I'll "suffer" through the internet cafe. :)

Sue Ellen

OK guys, you can flame me if you like . . .

One of the reasons I love the cruise, and love DCL so much is that I get AWAY from the telephone, the cell phone, the radio, the TV (we watch very little TV in the room)and yes, the internet. On our last cruise, I did use the internet cafe, but because our DS was home on his own, and awaiting word on his admission status for college for next year. Had it not been for that I would have steered a wide berth from the cafe.

Here in the winter in Ohio (I refuse to believe it is spring with this weather) - communicating with you folks while watching the NCAA's is great, but no offense, sunny skies, a beautiful ocean, great entertainment, and quality time with my family gives me no desire to remain "connected". I can catch up, and answer email when I get home.

So - WIFI on the Magic??? Don't hurry on my account . . . :badpc:

JoeD,

We all have to do what we have to do - if it is to keep your business afloat (pun intended) it makes complete sense to me. For me though, I know that the office can get by without me for 7 days - sometimes it is good for them too to grow a bit when they don't have me always as a safety net, and the seven days of cruising is the ONLY time they are reluctant to call, and try to make their own decisions.

Of course if they REALLY need me, they can always make that expensive ship call. You hit the nail on the head, my comment is that I can be better entertained by the reality all around me on the ship, rather than cyberspace.

I was just on a Western Caribbean Cruise on Royal Caribbean's newest ship - The Mariner of the Seas and they had WiFi. It was great!!!

You had to pay for it - similar to DCL pricing you could either get a package (certain number of minutes - not unlimited) or you could choose to pay by the minute.

The access was restricted to about 7 specific 'hot spots' on the ship which was still very cool. Nothing like sitting in the Crown and Anchor room overlooking the entire ship, watching the calm deep blue waters of the Caribbean slip by while sipping a drink and checking your email. The best office in the world.....

Come on DCL - I bet you would make even more money on WiFi than you would in the Internet Cafe.

John

I could deal with access in the cabins, and understand that some need or want access, which they currently do have in specific locations.. But when I'm on a Disney vacation, I don't want to see any of the tools of the real world (computers, cell phones). Ship wide Wi-Fi sure would spoil that experience for me.

(Thanks to DD, 14 for my newly created signature, posted for the first time in this post)

Everyone has different degrees of professional demands and while I wish I could drop of the face of the earth for a week, that's not a reality. After establishing a start up business in 02/04, our June cruise will be our first real family vacation since then. It would be nice if DCL had a few discreet "hot spots" on board where one could stay in touch ith those demanding clients. Maybe one of the crew could secretly e-mail me their wi-fi network password...............

JoeD said:
Unfortunately for me, I am the "office". :wave:

Sometimes I'd like to have someone who works for me who I could leave behind to handle things so I could get away. But on the other hand, I get to keep all of the money! (Well, except for the large chunk Uncle Sam takes...).

Sounds like you need to have a word with your boss. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter