Wi-Fi now available at MK!

I'll use it for the wait time apps only, no social networking for me. I'll be too busy taking pictures and being a proper shutterbug for that lol :goodvibes

This is great news re wifi in the parks, with the disney apps will be a treat.. But must agree also I do prefer to try and forget facebook, email and the daily Internet usage while on my holidays..

We're confiscating our nieces Blackberry's whilst we're there, and replacing them with cheap $20 pay as you go phones - with no internet usage!

Whilst I'm sure I would find it handy to have at some point, I sort of like the idea of switching off from the outside world for a couple of weeks and being Facebook less!

xxx

I guess this is where we are all different. I have just bought my DD a smart phone so that we will have it in time for when we go. We are not going to spend much if any time at all on Facebook there as we have better things to do. But being away from our family for 3 weeks it allows us to share a little of our Disney experience with them 'live' once in a while.

I know what suits us. I really don't give a hoot whether other people spend all their park time social networking. It works in my favor if it slows them down getting to join queues for rides :lmao:

Any techies here? Me, my son and DH all have i phones on contract. If we disable data roaming and cellular network in the settings, will we be safe to access the free wi-fi in the MK and our hotel without risking running up huge charges on our bills? I really don't understand that type of thing, but I would love to be able to access the Disney apps in the park and also catch up with friends via Face book in the evening. Probably a stupid question but I don't know the answer.

scoobydooby said:
Any techies here? Me, my son and DH all have i phones on contract. If we disable data roaming and cellular network in the settings, will we be safe to access the free wi-fi in the MK and our hotel without risking running up huge charges on our bills? I really don't understand that type of thing, but I would love to be able to access the Disney apps in the park and also catch up with friends via Face book in the evening. Probably a stupid question but I don't know the answer.

You'll be fine. You can even put your phones onto airplane mode then switch the wifi only back on to be sure (making the phones basically like iPod touch) to not use any 'billable data' :)

:goodvibes

You'll be fine. You can even put your phones onto airplane mode then switch the wifi only back on to be sure (making the phones basically like iPod touch) to not use any 'billable data' :)

That's true. If your network connection is switched off they can't bill you. You can only operate the phone through wifi (if connected). It's the networks that slap you with the bills. Network off, data while roaming off (just to be safe) and wifi on. The only thing you can't do is call and text when setting your phone like that, but with all the various apps available, you really don't need them :)

Just make sure you always lock the screen/keypad .... :rolleyes: Last year my little purse got caught underneath a heavy camera bag and managed to send 64 text messages with a single letter "P" to the first UK number in my address book on our first day :crazy2:

2Tiggies said:
Just make sure you always lock the screen/keypad .... :rolleyes: Last year my little purse got caught underneath a heavy camera bag and managed to send 64 text messages with a single letter "P" to the first UK number in my address book on our first day :crazy2:

Brilliant! But you were furious when you found out...

That's true. If your network connection is switched off they can't bill you. You can only operate the phone through wifi (if connected). It's the networks that slap you with the bills. Network off, data while roaming off (just to be safe) and wifi on. The only thing you can't do is call and text when setting your phone like that, but with all the various apps available, you really don't need them :)

Or if it's an Android phone, just pop the SIM out, the phone will still run happily without, just on wifi only. :goodvibes

Brilliant! But you were furious when you found out...

:lmao: How did you know? :rotfl2:

I had placed a limit of £25 over and above my monthly tariff fee on my phone before we went away thinking I could just manually make additional payments online in the unlikely event that I needed it .... I found out a few hours later when I got an automated message from my network provider advising me that I had reached my limit :rolleyes2

I think it's a great thing.

Will make keeping in touch easier.

But the main bonus is I love the wait time apps and it was a bummer last trip only being able to check the times from our room.

This way if we're in line for a ride I'll be able to check what other rides/parks are like and tour much more efficiently!!

I'm not one to have my phone out loads in public. But if I had a long wait (for a show or a ride say) or maybe we were sitting in the shade having a drink, it'd be very handy to check an app to help with the trip. :)

It won't make a difference to the vast majority of guests as their 3G will always have worked in park - so I don't think people moaning that it means people will be looking at phones more etc will really notice a difference at all.

But for us European visitors who want to use to apps to help get more out of our trip it'll be great. :) Also I'd have been very dissappointed if the next gen stuff only worked on smart phones with a connection and I couldn't use it without racking up a huge roaming bill.

what's a good wait times app?

what's a good wait times app?

Lines seems to be very accurate (Touringplans.com) I have a BlackBerry so can't download an app for it but have linked it to my bookmarks through my subscription :) iPhone and Android you can just add it as an app

The new "My Disney Experience" app is available to download now by the way, was browsing through it last night, the dining booking feature looks great

thanks!!!

i just downloaded it onto my iphone!!! it's free!!!

fabulous app!!

thanks again!!!!! :thumbsup2

Lines seems to be very accurate (Touringplans.com) I have a BlackBerry so can't download an app for it but have linked it to my bookmarks through my subscription :) iPhone and Android you can just add it as an app

i just downloaded "My Disney Experience" - i guess an official disney app that's unbelievably free :eek:!!

it has waiting times on it..

i just emailed DD to download it onto her iphone before she gets to WDW...
i hope she sees my email..

she's on the train right now from vancouver to seattle...
and then on a 6 hour flight from seattle to orlando..

by the way, she said her alaska cruise was AMAZING!!!!!
she was on the Radiance of the Seas with RCCL...she said it was fantastic!!!
much more fun than our last disney cruise (and a lot cheaper!!)..

This is brilliant news for me and like someone else said no different really given the high percentage of Americans have been able to access Social Media through their data plans anyway.

Sooner or later there'll be things that you can only access through smartphones and social media so I embrace it at work, rest and play.... and it's part of my routine now to check-in on Foursquare/FB/Instagram to share with all those interested. I think it used to niggle DH but given that whilst we were at the Oympic Park the other day he kept asking me to check stuff on my iPhone I think he'd be lost without my iPhone LOL

I'll still have to get my micro-SIM but I bet I won't have to top up my data now.

Beth - I love both of those apps!

Got a friend @ DW in MK now, he says the WIFI is live but painfully slow unfortunately but it's free and better than nothing at all hey..

Yeah, but not sure I'd wanna waste time using it if it's that slow. Nice to have options though.

We're waiting for the Main Street Electrical Parade right now. Just ran a speed test on my iPad. Got a download speed of 3mbps - three times faster than Old Key West. :)

Pretty quick then Matt!! Excellent.
Look forward to your dad's next installment :)

i just downloaded "My Disney Experience" - i guess an official disney app that's unbelievably free :eek:!!

it has waiting times on it..

They have only just released it for iPhone but I'm hoping they bring out an app for Android. I have BlackBerry so never get any of these kind of apps, but I was very strategic in choosing an android for my DD so perhaps we can have the best of both worlds in the World :)

2Tiggies said:
They have only just released it for iPhone but I'm hoping they bring out an app for Android. I have BlackBerry so never get any of these kind of apps, but I was very strategic in choosing an android for my DD so perhaps we can have the best of both worlds in the World :)

Sounds interesting... What's it about?

I'm bound to get it anyway... Lol!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter