• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

why would you own at a second resort?

We have multiple small point contracts to allow us to shed contracts quickly if and when the time comes. We have not yet had to consider such drastic moves. :scared1: 75 pt contracts are much easier to sell than the large looming 200 or more point contracts.

We have purchased multiple point contracts at the same time and have been allowed to combine the totals for the current incentive packages, etc.

Having multiple small contracts also allows us to more easily assign them to our children for inheritance purposes.

In addition to our points at BWV we own 25 points at VWL. This allows us, with banking and borrowing, to stay five weeknights in a studio in Adventure Season. (January, September or early December) Not a bad deal for 25 points. :thumbsup2

Update:
Being the math geek I am, :lmao:I just had to do the math on this. :surfweb: The 25 points cost about $2k (I was a CM at the time) which will give us 14 vacations over the 42 year contract. Each 5 night vacation will cost us $142 (plus MF of course.) :thumbsup2

Our points are split because they are meant for different uses. SSR is where we own the most points, but that's also where we would have family stay with us on points and so every other year we tend to do a bigger family trip and use the SSR points. The AKV points are for me and DH and a future wee one someday. It's enough points for one week in a savannah view studio every year. If we don't go that year then we bank and we can upgrade to a 1 BDR or concierge the next year. The 11-month is especially important at AKV where they have so few value and concierge rooms.

We own at two resorts for two plus different trips each year. The largest contract is used for our weekly family vacation. The smaller contract is for a long weekend during Food & Wine. The extra points from the largests contract are used for 1-2 weekend get-aways a year.

BLT is our main contract....but we will eventually add on at OKW....points are cheaper there and the resales are a good price.

we're new to the game but we doubled our blt contract based on
our vacation patterns. [ i had no desire until we figured how
many we would be needing for blt 1-bedroom X 2 weeks. ]

just my observation, but i read some staying @ ssr and swearing
never again. so i think after they experienced something they
didn't expect, instead of selling they added on & used their ssr
points in different ways. also the up front "price" ,is a major factor. i think
some get their foot in the door by buying the cheaper ssr points
& then adding on to the resort they like to stay most. then
they can book 2-3 days then add on the rest @ the 7 mos. period.
or maybe they sell off the ssr points..then used that money
for buying/ transfers the points they need to finished @ the desired resort.
i think most 2-home owners has ssr as their major resort.

we debated akv /blt but in the end decided blt would meet our needs
best. in reality, we 're just guessing.

i also think some are buying for the status symbol based on the
input they are always providing. others are collecting as many as they
can & starting a business.

for us, it was a matter of coincidence where we ran into our 08
pc cruise table mates @ mk last july. somehow, she talked my wife
into looking into dvc again. we spent 5 hrs going over the details
& ended up "adding on" before going back to the park. we did not
do any "homework".... and it something i think we're going to regret.
however, my wife....who has given me my greatest joys on earth,
had her heart set on blt when she saw the model. just for that, makes it
worth it to me. [ if something ever happens to her, either our kids
take the 3 contacts over, or i will try to give it to our family members]

* not a good sign, but her sister & husband turned down a free 2 weeks
stay.

the other option, helping others in our community with special needs.
[ we already have this privilege & has been very rewarding in ways
we could never had expected.]

still if we get 10 years worth out of it, i'll be happy. i just wish i read
more here before buying. [ we had no idea about renting points &
other major issues that were misleading].

anyway..it just what i think. hope it helps you make the right choice
for you.

1. just my observation, but i read some staying @ ssr and swearing
never again.

2. i also think some are buying for the status symbol based on the
input they are always providing. others are collecting as many as they
can & starting a business.

3. * not a good sign, but her sister & husband turned down a free 2 weeks
stay.

1. there will be people who love and hate every resort, right? i've seen people who swear by saratoga springs!

2. what is the status symbol? you're better if you own a newer resort? or "better" if you own multiple resorts?

3. why did they turn down a free stay?

We bought in or our original contract at OKW, and added on BCV before it sold out so we'd always have access to SAB.

I could see us adding another resort for 50-75 points to bank and borrow for a extra or extended trip every few years. We have done a few split stays and do not mind the move so we could also use a second contract for added days at the 11 month window.

I will resist addonitis until we have stayed at every resort and can pay cash without a second thought. It might be a hard decision since I have loved all the resorts so far though we have only stayed at AKV, WL:-)cloud9:for DH) and OKW so far with BCV and BWV this summer.

Denise in MI

we own pts at 3 resorts :dance3: (3 homes i like to think). 270 pts at vwl because it has such a lovely homey feel. 220 at akv because we love the animals and the safari, boma, jeko, and the luxury of staying on concierge once in a while. 285 at blt because we love the firworks and the mk view also the monorail. luxury is being able to hop over to the mk when ever you want. these are all luxuries, but isn't that the reason we go to wdw anyway. for entertainment with luxury. i am willing to scronge all year for the trips to my wdw home.:welcome:

we also love the boardwalk and beach club. the point is that i would love to own about 200 to 250 at each of those also. ahhhh, how nice it would be to win the lottery! if so i might even buy in california!:goodvibes

We started out with 100 points at Vero because we had stayed there (on cash) and really loved it, and liked the flexibility of being able to use the points at WDW if we wanted to. BUT of course we soon realized that it would be better to have points both on WDW property and at Vero so we added on a couple of smaller contracts. Now the goal is to continue adding on points (with the same use year, same resorts) a little at a time (as the funds allow since we prefer not to finance) until we get to where we really want to be (if that ever happens! unfortunately I'm afraid there will never be "enough"). In the meantime we can bank/borrow, etc., to make the most of the points that we do have. It does help that we tend to travel in lower seasons, generally January or October/November so the points go farther.;)

thanks everyone for your responses. we haven't even closed on our SSR resale contract yet and we're already talking about where to buy next! the banking/borrowing thing with a smaller contract does make sense.

the only problem with the points you get is having to really sit down and plan your upcoming disney trips for a year out or more. seeing as i love to plan, that's ok with me! it's just a little difficult :)

This has been a fantastic thread to read for a newbie like me to begin to really understand multiple contracts, banking, and borrowing. Thanks everyone for sharing. I would love to read more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter