Why would they have cat 4b gty on a ship with no 4a's available

ljm23

DIS Veteran
Hi, I'm currently booked in a cat 4a on deck 10 on fantasy and keep checking to see if anything opens on deck 9. There are no other empty rooms in cat 4a. In doing so I noticed cat 4b shows up but when I go to see if there are any rooms there but when I try to assign a room it says GTY only. Why would this be? If you sign up for gty you have to get your category or above right?
:confused3

There are several explanations.

First, DCL anticipates that some people will cancel the cruise. They DO overbook a category, but never overbook the ship. You are correct that a gty means you get your selected category OR ABOVE. You could get an upgrade to a concierge cabin!

Secondly, DCL always holds a few cabins in various categories to use if there are issues with the cabin a guest was assigned. We were on a sold out cruise and had a maintenance issue. The "fix it" dudes spent the whole afternoon in our cabin on the second day, and on the third day the problem re-appeared. You guessed it--men in my cabin for another 4 hours and they finally said they couldn't fix it till the ship was back at PC. I went to Guest Services and suggested that they either replace the offending item (rather than repairing), or come up with a way to get the guys out of my cabin. They moved us to a different cabin down the hall--same oceanview category. This was a supposedly sold out ship, yet they had a room to move us into.

If they were offering a 4A GTY I would question it, but not a different category.

ljm23 said:
Hi, I'm currently booked in a cat 4a on deck 10 on fantasy and keep checking to see if anything opens on deck 9. There are no other empty rooms in cat 4a. In doing so I noticed cat 4b shows up but when I go to see if there are any rooms there but when I try to assign a room it says GTY only. Why would this be? If you sign up for gty you have to get your category or above right?
:confused3

And it doesn't necessarily mean they've sold out of 4Bs and are overbooking them. It could just mean that they are getting close to sold out and want to retain a little bit of flexibility. But wouldn't it be awesome to be upgraded to concierge??!

Thanks, I guess I'm just not much of a risk taker. I'll just keep checking for a room assignment on deck 8 or 9 that's not gty.
Thanks for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter