Why would someone do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mackey Mouse said:
"I'm not expecting no children at WDW. I'm expecting reasonably well-behaved kids and concerned, proactive parents. I don't think that's too much to ask, regardless of where I'm eating."

No this is not too much to ask. Now I am asking here that we all step back a bit and take this thread as a learning thread. Can we please stop with the sarcasm and nastiness or it will be locked.

Not being sarcastic at all here, but I do think this is too much to ask. Disney is probably pretty reflective of the population at large, and I think it would be too much to expect this anywhere. Sure, we would all like the world to be full of reasonably well-behaved kids and concerned, proactive parents, but it's not like that anywhere, at least not anywhere I've lived or travelled to in Canada or the US. There will always be rowdy kids and people that should not be parents. That's life and the world we live in.

Maybe if you don't set your expectations so high, things like this wouldn't bother you so much. Again, not being sarcastic, just a suggestion.

denimore said:
If I recall you had a problem with 4 different tables in your original post...I think it's maybe time to stop and ask yourself why are you subjecting yourself to this?

No, you're wrong.

I couldn't believe that the family we encountered in the lobby with the meltdown kids even thought about dining with them in a nicer restaurant, but they were no where near us.

Three families were seated near us. One had very well behaved kids that were a joy. One had kids that got antsy during the meal, and the parents did the right thing, had their meals wrapped, and left before nuclear meltdown occured. The third the kids were pretty much in full meltdown mode within five minutes of us being seated, but they wre done with their meals and left.

Anne

cukak6 said:
Did everyone forget that this is Disneyworld we're talking about? A place that's geared toward children? If you want to eat in a fine restaurant without children...go someplace else.

Its late in this debate, but I hate this argument.

Disney is geared toward children. It is also geared towards honeymooners. Golfers. People attending business conferences. Cheerleading competitions, college students on Spring Break. Adults traveling solo. Couples taking a break. Each group of these people has the same priority as guests as any other group of people. Because "Disney is geared toward children" does not mean that my husband's vendor doesn't want to take him out to a nice business meal during a conference in hopes of selling his a six figure service contract. I have kids, but they don't take priority over other Disney guests. Misbehaving children don't belong in upscale restaurants. They don't belong at Pleasure Island, they don't belong on golf courses.

"I'm not expecting no children at WDW. I'm expecting reasonably well-behaved kids and concerned, proactive parents. I don't think that's too much to ask, regardless of where I'm eating."

First, let's be clear here, that is not my quote....I did agree that it was not too much to ask, but the initial quote was not mine... Second.. I do agree with you on expectations.. I have to admit to expecting Disney to do things correctly.....I always want the magic. Now Disney cannot control how their guests act so I take that into consideration...My DH always says something like this.. if you do not expect anything, then you will not be disappointed when it does not happen. I try to apply that to everything in my life.

So in saying that, do I expect everyone to play fairly and obey the rules, eat with great manners ;), behave themselves appropriately in all things... no I cannot expect that......but if I am in a signature restaurant, later in the evening, with friends, I certainly do not want some screaming child beside me, throwing food or running around playing hide and seek while the parents are having adult time and ignoring the antics... sorry....I do accept that.

connorsmom911 said:
Not being sarcastic at all here, but I do think this is too much to ask. Disney is probably pretty reflective of the population at large, and I think it would be too much to expect this anywhere. Sure, we would all like the world to be full of reasonably well-behaved kids and concerned, proactive parents, but it's not like that anywhere, at least not anywhere I've lived or travelled to in Canada or the US. There will always be rowdy kids and people that should not be parents. That's life and the world we live in.

Maybe if you don't set your expectations so high, things like this wouldn't bother you so much. Again, not being sarcastic, just a suggestion.

But if we don't set reasonable expectations for a decent stadard of behaviour, we might as well declare anarchy.

And BTW--DH spend a week or so at a marvelous mountain inn every year. I adore their dining room policy as far as children go. It states that while children are welcomed in the dining room, families will be seated in a sperate area to be less of distraction to other diners. If they dine before 6:00pm. children will eat free. Under no circumstances will any children be allowed to be disruptive to anyone for any reason, and any children who are will be asked to leave immediately.

This allows families to dine in a sophisticated atmosphere, while still giving adults the guarantee of a peaceful meal. It seems to work wonderfully--I think the kids eat free early policy helps immensely.

Anne

I stand corrected...you had 3 families that you felt the parents didn't belong where you were paying and should be guaranteed a peaceful dining experience.

I don't think Anne should have to lower her expectations for proper behavior in a restaurant. That is the problem with society in general today. If we keep lowering our expectations of acceptable behavior in public, the world will be a "free for all" before we know it......

denimore said:
I stand corrected...you had 3 families that you felt the parents didn't belong where you were paying and should be guaranteed a peaceful dining experience.

You are wrong again.

Please r-e-a-d c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y this time.

There was one family in the lobby who had kids in mieltdown mode. I question why they would subject others to children who were overtired and causinga scene. They hadn't even been seated yet.

There was another family who had children who were an absolute joy.

There was another family whose kids began the beginning of a meltdown, so they ahd their food wrapped and left forfore things got out of hand.

There was another family who were OK when we were first seated, but after five minutes the kids were getting to the point wehere they were getting disruptive. At that time the family left--they had finished their meals.

So I wasn't complaining at all about the three families near us. One had wonderful kids. One saw disaster approaching and did the smart thing and had their food wrapped and left. The third were trying to enjoy coffee after dinner, but when it became obvious that their kids had enough, they left. Maybe a few minutes after I would have, but before the kids were in fullblown meltdown mode. Those examples wre given to show appropriate behaviour when dining with children.

Anne

crisi said:
Its late in this debate, but I hate this argument.

Disney is geared toward children. It is also geared towards honeymooners. Golfers. People attending business conferences. Cheerleading competitions, college students on Spring Break. Adults traveling solo. Couples taking a break. Each group of these people has the same priority as guests as any other group of people. Because "Disney is geared toward children" does not mean that my husband's vendor doesn't want to take him out to a nice business meal during a conference in hopes of selling his a six figure service contract. I have kids, but they don't take priority over other Disney guests. Misbehaving children don't belong in upscale restaurants. They don't belong at Pleasure Island, they don't belong on golf courses.

I totally agree with you. My husband and I have enough money not to have to worry over money matters. We often eat at upscale restrauants and always without our children when they were still living at home. When our grandchildren are visiting we take them to family restrauants. When treat them the same way as we did our children. For even though it is a FAMILY restrauant that does not give us the right to make the exprerience unpleasant for others. My children knew from an early age as my grandchildren are learning now. Misbehave and we well leave, whether before we order, before the food gets to the table or during the meal itself. Trust me it only takes a few times of leaving before they finish eating for them to get the message.

oh for goodness sake!

So the distinction is the ones that were near you.

You had a problem with three families that particular evening. Some near, some not so near but three families just the same.

BTW...perhaps before you engage people to interact with you in public or on a bulletin board you should try to be less reactive yourself and quit trying to demean everything they say or do.

denimore said:
NP..can see how your post about your honeymoon you thought I was directing my comments to you.

Hope you have a wonderful time..but gotta chuckle 'cause someday it will be you and your kids (assuming you are having kids) that will be disturbing others. :rotfl:

oh, but see we will be living within 10 miles of both of our parents. FREE BABYSITTING!! :teeth:

of course, not aaaallll the time.....well, maybe. :goodvibes

[
Why would parents do that to other diners? Personally I think it's the dining plan. The notion of "I paid for it I"m going to get every freaking dime out of it and to hell with the rest of the world." We've noticed lately a lot of people on the dining plan at the more upscale restaurants that in all honestly probably never would have eaten there otherwise. People who don't understand the items on the menu, have kids who have obviously never eaten anywhere but a barn trough, and even adults with no manners. TAKE YOUR DAMN BASEBALL CAP OFF WHILE AT THE TABLE!! What is WRONG with people these days?

Anne[/QUOTE]

OUCH--My DH is a gourmet chef and we are very familiar with the the items on the menus, we often eat at "fancy" restaurants. And yet, we don't always dress up when we are on vacation. And my DH who is balding almost always wears a hat. Sorry if that is so offensive to you. Perhaps you could not look over at us.

On the other hand when we eat out with our kids we expect exlempary behavior. One loud noise or a bit of wiggling and they are removed and disciplined either outside or in the restroom. Sometimes a firm but short spanking. Many parents are afraid to discipline in public b/c they are afraid of being accused of abuse, I think that has degraded the behavior of many children in public

SLOW GIRL HERE.....

I get it now you were comparing the 3 families not complaining about all 3 families. *light bulb goes on* :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

ducklite said:
And BTW--DH spend a week or so at a marvelous mountain inn every year. I adore their dining room policy as far as children go. It states that while children are welcomed in the dining room, families will be seated in a sperate area to be less of distraction to other diners. If they dine before 6:00pm. children will eat free. Under no circumstances will any children be allowed to be disruptive to anyone for any reason, and any children who are will be asked to leave immediately.

Anne

Sorry but I personally would never grace this establishments presence.

I would be terrified the whole time that my kids made a sound that may disturb some childless couples dining experience. Talk about arrogant, and treating kids as second class citizens.

Substitute the word "dog" for kids in that whole paragraph..it fits better!

I don't think Disney will ever adopt this lovely policy ~

Last year when we went to Disney my kids where 2 and 5. They both did well at all the restaurants. But because of the 2 year old we tried to do mostly buffets so he could eat quickly. We also had them down for naps in the afternoon and tried to make ADR"S that where not to late in the evening. This year when we go they will be 4 and 7 so I made ADR"S for a little nicer places. But if they do act up one of us always takes them out ( we do this if eat somewhere around here) and walks around with them for awhile (plus they get a little talking to). But if they give my kids crayons they will sit and just color or play games. I agree with you need to keep your kids in control or you need to leave. It is not fair to ruin everyone's meals around you.

denimore said:
oh for goodness sake!

So the distinction is the ones that were near you.

You had a problem with three families that particular evening. Some near, some not so near but three families just the same.

BTW...perhaps before you engage people to interact with you in public or on a bulletin board you should try to be less reactive yourself and quit trying to demean everything they say or do.

Where do you get that I had a problem with three families that night?

Anne

RNLUVSDISNEY said:
OUCH--My DH is a gourmet chef and we are very familiar with the the items on the menus, we often eat at "fancy" restaurants. And yet, we don't always dress up when we are on vacation. And my DH who is balding almost always wears a hat. Sorry if that is so offensive to you. Perhaps you could not look over at us.

In a restaurant that has a policy on no hats on men would he blatantly disregard the policy?

Here it is right on WDW's web site: http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw/dining/diningDetail?id=CitricosDiningPage

Anne

Brooknwdw said:
Sorry but I personally would never grace this establishments presence.

I would be terrified the whole time that my kids made a sound that may disturb some childless couples dining experience. Talk about arrogant, and treating kids as second class citizens.

Substitute the word "dog" for kids in that whole paragraph..it fits better!

I don't think Disney will ever adopt this lovely policy ~

Considering that they book up a year or more in advance, I guess they won't miss you then. I think it's an excellent policy that serves their entire guest demographic quite well. And for the record, they don't allow pets either.

Anne

GillieRose said:
Last year when we went to Disney my kids where 2 and 5. They both did well at all the restaurants. But because of the 2 year old we tried to do mostly buffets so he could eat quickly. We also had them down for naps in the afternoon and tried to make ADR"S that where not to late in the evening. This year when we go they will be 4 and 7 so I made ADR"S for a little nicer places. But if they do act up one of us always takes them out ( we do this if eat somewhere around here) and walks around with them for awhile (plus they get a little talking to). But if they give my kids crayons they will sit and just color or play games. I agree with you need to keep your kids in control or you need to leave. It is not fair to ruin everyone's meals around you.

amen! see, you prove there are still some people in the world with kids that know how to raise them! thank you for your shining example! if a kid fusses once, gets in trouble and doesn't do it again, thats cool. but its when parents pretend they don't hear their kids that my blood pressure starts to go up... :guilty:

ducklite said:
Considering that they book up a year or more in advance, I guess they won't miss you then. I think it's an excellent policy that serves their entire guest demographic quite well. And for the record, they don't allow pets either.

Anne

SORRY--no hadn't read the dress code policy. He would not wear his hat. I was simply enforcing that not everyone that wears hats is automatically eating out of troughs. By the way, my kids typically eat dinner around 8 PM, so by your policies we wouldn't be allowed to eat at a TS at WDW. That would really make us unhappy. They are well behaved in restaurants, we would not allow anything else. But, w/ breakfast at 10, lunch at 1400, we can't feed them before 6 for you. Around us the "blue hairs" that don't want to be around kids go out to eat around 4 or 5 before the kids are out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter