• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why watch movies

While DH and I enjoy movies we don't always get to them at home. Some cruises we never find anything we like at a time that is good for us but this last cruise we ended up seeing 3 movies. For us it all depends on timing and what's playing. I'm not a lay out by the pool kind of person so an afternoon movie is a nice change of pace. Also since we've been on a number of DCL cruises and have seen all the stage shows we sometimes opt for a movie instead.

The nice thing is everyone can do what they like and enjoy their vacation. :thumbsup2

I also agree with the previous poster - seeing POTC up on deck while in the Caribbean is a blast!

Why would anyone pay extra for palo when they can have wonderful food in the dining room for free? Because it is THEIR cruise and THEY can do what THEY feel is important to THEM.

I sorta feel like I am getting yelled at with the caps here. Like I said, I was not faulting anyone for doing this, I was just trying to understand.

We tend to go to a lot of movies at home and since it is just me and DH and often my DS and his DGF, the cost is not that much of a factor.

After reading some other responses, I too, would probably love seeing a premiere, and watching something, especially one of the Pirates movies, on the jumbotron under the stars (something I can't do at home). But I have often read in trip reports of folks going to see a movie in the theater and it was something they had already seen. :confused3

I love movies and I go every single week with my mom (thank you Optimum Rewards Card).....and even onboard I will go see a movie (usually the late night ones). I won't see something I have already seen on land, but I love to go see something I have not seen already. As others have mentioned we have been onboard so many times (16) that it is just another activity that I like to do.

I just love that feeling of sitting in a movie theatre, the lights go out, and you immerse yourself in the movie for 90 minutes or so. I will bring a snack from deck 9 and a drink and usually my pillow and just chill out in the theatre!!!

We all wanted to see Wall-E this summer, but we didn't see it in the theater becasue I knew we could see it on the cruise for free.

Everyone wants to do different things. None is right or wrong.

On another thread someone said: "Why would you want to exercise on a vacation?" To which I replied: "Some people like to exercise."

I agree, none is right and none is wrong, if someone wanted to sit in a chair on the deck the whole time, that is fine, too. I was really just looking for reasons why folks did go to the theater and thought it worth asking the question. I am really sorry if anyone thought I was insulting their choices of things to do on the ship, it sure wan't my intent, simply asking a question. I can't say that we won't end up at a movie :3dglasses at some point on our cruise, but I don't think anything new is coming out in September, will have to wait and see.

I sorta feel like I am getting yelled at with the caps here. Like I said, I was not faulting anyone for doing this, I was just trying to understand.

We tend to go to a lot of movies at home and since it is just me and DH and often my DS and his DGF, the cost is not that much of a factor.

After reading some other responses, I too, would probably love seeing a premiere, and watching something, especially one of the Pirates movies, on the jumbotron under the stars (something I can't do at home). But I have often read in trip reports of folks going to see a movie in the theater and it was something they had already seen. :confused3

No not yelling. Just making a point. Different strokes for different folks. Your post seemed to have a big BUT in it. If I mistook it then my bad. :hippie:

Yes many of the movies are current. We didn't see any movies on our first cruise. The second cruise we saw National Treasure Book of Secrets. We really had to make the effort to find the time to see it though. We wanted to see another movie but, we just make the show times. Like I said it's well over $100 for us to go to the movies--even an early show. I'm sure the more DCL you have been on the more time you have for a movie or two. Some people don't get off the ship on port days etc.

I'm one of those people who has never seen a fitness center on any of my 9 cruises lol. And I work out at home. It's important to someone and I am glad that the fitness center is there incase I get my butt in there someday.

I agree, none is right and none is wrong, if someone wanted to sit in a chair on the deck the whole time, that is fine, too. I was really just looking for reasons why folks did go to the theater and thought it worth asking the question. I am really sorry if anyone thought I was insulting their choices of things to do on the ship, it sure wan't my intent, simply asking a question. I can't say that we won't end up at a movie :3dglasses at some point on our cruise, but I don't think anything new is coming out in September, will have to wait and see.

I appreciate the original post. I've wondered too and at other places like the theatre in DTD, etc. Of course we all have our own perspective and I didn't consider the cost factor. For example $10 x family of 8, for me it's just DH & I. Also interesting to hear that movies are an infrequent pastime for some as we go almost every week (unless we are on vacation! :lmao: ). It's insightful to hear others' reasons.

cryssi: fab sig bar. I've been interested in if and what the track was like but thought it too anal to post as I'd find out when I arrived. I know DH is going to sleep in and I'd love to do a few miles before our day gets started. On board I'm sure I'll be eating much more and of all the wrong things :upsidedow

cheers,
:flower3:

Klam Chowder, I can tell you that I have been a couple of movies at DTD, once when it was a rainy day and once for a Star Wars opening and DH had to see it on the big big screen with the huge special sound system. We do go to WDW a lot, so taking a break from the parks and/or shopping is not a big deal to us.

I love movies and I go every single week with my mom (thank you Optimum Rewards Card).....and even onboard I will go see a movie (usually the late night ones). I won't see something I have already seen on land, but I love to go see something I have not seen already. As others have mentioned we have been onboard so many times (16) that it is just another activity that I like to do.

I just love that feeling of sitting in a movie theatre, the lights go out, and you immerse yourself in the movie for 90 minutes or so. I will bring a snack from deck 9 and a drink and usually my pillow and just chill out in the theatre!!!

Curious to know what snacks you can pick up from deck 9?

Every time I have seen movies mentioned on this Board, I have often wondered why any one might want to watch a movie on board the ship? I guess I feel that I can see a movie any time I want at home, and there must be many other things to do on the ship that you can't do at home.

Trust me, I not faulting anyone that enjoys watching movies on the ship, I guess I am wondering what the attraction would be to spending the time in the movie theater.

In our case, we usually wind up seeing about one movie per cruise because bad weather limits the outside activities. On one cruise it was because we were going through some bad weather and the pools on Deck 9 were closed, as was the promenade deck on one side (and verandahs). We weren't up for some of the other activities inside the ship. The movie was fairly crowded actually.

we've been on 5 cruises and have never watched a movie, except for screening of Monsters Inc that replaced the show one evening. High School Musical 3 and BEverly HIlls CHihuahua are both coming out prior to our sailing. I'm guessing my kids will be dying to go to the movies this time around!

We were on the Magic for the first PoC premier. They had a special midnite showing for us and since we were in the eastern Caribbean, we actually got to see it before anyone back home. Of course, after a day in the sun, staying up for the full two hours and twenty minutes was tough. My wife kept dosing off and the next time we saw it on DVD, she didn't realize how much she missed :lmao:

We've only been on one cruise but we did watch one movie during that cruise. And for our upcoming cruise I'm sure we'll make it to at least one more. For us going to the movie theater is a splurge. We see maybe 2 movies a year in the theater. So watching one on a cruise for free (okay, not "technically", but you get what I'm saying) is a big deal.

It's like with the pools. My parents have a pool and my boys live in the water during the summer. So swimming in the pools on a cruise is not a big deal because it's something common for us. But for other people who do not have the opportunity to swim whenever they want it IS a big deal.

I agree with the pps who said that this is the best thing about cruising -- there are so many options! :)

On our first (and only) cruise we saw Lilo & Stitch (yes, it was back in 2002). We loved the movie, but what made it so special was watching it on the cruise. I don't know why :confused3 , just one of those good family memories. So now whenever we watch it on DVD we think of the cruise. I suppose the tropical theme helps.

For our cruise next month I am hoping to see Wall-E. DH worked for Pixar years ago and we still have lots of friends there so he took DS to go see it at the premier. I couldn't go so I am saving it as a "special treat" on the cruise. Now the only problem is keeping DS from giving away all the good parts! :rotfl:

If other things take priority, I won't see it on the ship. The main thing is to enjoy those great family moments however they come. :grouphug:

For me, it is a chance to see a world premiere of a Disney film.

When Disney premieres a film on land, they often premiere at the same time on board ship. Or, at least one minute past midnignt of the day of the premiere.

I've seen "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" and "The Chronicels of Narnia: Prince Caspian" that way.

I also like to see a film a week or two after it is first released to theaters, as I never know how long a movie will be around. For that reason, while I don't think it was a world premiere, when "Dark Water" was shown, I saw it on board the ship.

Sometimes they had midnight movies. What else can you do at midnight if you're not interested in going to bed right then?

Saw the Ratatouille premier on the Med cruise. I think it started after 8 PM. What else was there to do at that point?

We are really looking forward to HOPEFULLY watching HS Musical 3 in the theater, since it comes out just a week before our cruise. I know it would be a mad house here to see it in any theaters (we only have 2 in the county :sad2: ) and I really want to see it with both DDs since they love HS Muscial.

There is also something to be said about the theater on the ship. The high steps, the curtains that pull back to reveal the screen. Its like more of the old time theaters, kinda simpler times!

My DH can't do the sun for very long, so unless I bring the girls up to the pools myself, we don't spend hours and hours up there. And, like many of the PP, there is always at least one day we are "rained" out and need to pick some indoor activities. My DDs are still young (last time we were on board they were 4 and almost 2) so there were limited small child indoor activities for us.

Plus, when the kids are little, you don't get to the movies much without paying a babysitter. If you do bring them, and spend the $$ on the flick, it really sucks to have to leave mid-way into the movie because they can't sit still, are crying, have to pee, you get the picture. At least if we have to leave when in the theater on board I don't have to worry about wasted $$!

But please, if there are people who don't want to watch a movie on board, its cool. Its hard enough to find a seat in that theater as it is! popcorn::

I haven't read all the replies :guilty:, but my last 7 day cruise I think I watched about 6 movies in the theater! It sounds lame, but that's only less than 2 hours out of the day. It was a fun relaxing time for my husband and I (no kids).

Plus, if we went to the movie theater 7 times, that would be about $100. I guess we just like movies too. popcorn::

Now when ever I see Dan In Real Life or Wild Hogs on TV, it reminds me of our magical cruise. :lovestruc

Our family loves watching movies. DH and I enjoy seeing them on the ship when the kids are in the club. Last year we got to see the World Premiere of National Treasure Book of Secrets.

For us, the pools are not appealing since we have one at home and swim year around. Even my kids don't care much for the pools on board DCL as they are small and way too crowded.

In 14 DCL cruises I have never watched a movie. I would much rather sit on deck and watch the ocean. Better than any movie I have ever seen. I never get tired of it. But that's just me.:goodvibes

Oh Donna that's easy...

Next time...you and Harry can just stay up on deck and when they start showing the movies up on the big screens at night... we'll join you... That was our evening routine after like a week on board already... It was Great... Jill would bring blankets... we'd get snacks... Sukie would cover all of us up with towels... it was great!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter