• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WHY!!! Unhappy with DHS

mdburr

Disneyaddicted
My trip dates are May 17th-23rd.
RnRC is closed May 15th-20th
Star Wars Weekend is 21st-23rd…
Ugh, last year when I went in May it was also Star Wars weekend, and I try avoiding them at all cost. To me, they are not that special. It is a lot of nobody's from comics and soundtracks, and rarely anybody really from the films. Why would Disney schedule a RnRC refurb for the week and then have star wars weekend during the same WEEK.
I don’t get it. I imagine this park is going to be very crowded, and personally, there is limited things to do. Now instead of going to DHS during the week to avoid the Star Wars weekend crowd, we have to go during the weekend to get to ride RnRC.
I just think its poor scheduling by Disney. Wasn't only a week or two ago that they announced the refurbishing of RnRC anyways? What can you possibly do in 5 days that it needs to be closed. Why not just work on it at night, or do early closures. :confused:

Sorry for ranting, I am just not a fan of Star Wars Weekend.

That stinks, RnR is DH's fav ride, we once were there the week of a refurb and the last night it was open he made me ride if 5 times in a row! We would get off and run back around to get in line to get one more in.

I know you didn't ask for advice but if I were in your position I'd go on Sunday the 23rd for the best crowd scenario. Fri the 21st is: F! night and first day of SWW when alot of locals come to get merchandise. Sat 22nd: is EMH night, Sunday 23rd is also F! night but you will have less people there looking for SWW merchandise.

Granit I have ridden RnRC many many times, it just unfortunate. What can you do. I will take your advice. We have some of that day available.
Anybody know what they could possibly be refurbishing?

Ugh, last year when I went in May it was also Star Wars weekend, and I try avoiding them at all cost. To me, they are not that special. It is a lot of nobody's from comics and soundtracks, and rarely anybody really from the films. Why would Disney schedule a RnRC refurb for the week and then have star wars weekend during the same WEEK.
I don’t get it. I imagine this park is going to be very crowded, and personally, there is limited things to do. Now instead of going to DHS during the week to avoid the Star Wars weekend crowd, we have to go during the weekend to get to ride RnRC.
I just think its poor scheduling by Disney. Wasn't only a week or two ago that they announced the refurbishing of RnRC anyways? What can you possibly do in 5 days that it needs to be closed. Why not just work on it at night, or do early closures. :confused:

I imagine their moms and loved one's don't think they're nobody's! :sad2: You knew when Star Wars weekend was, you were there the same time last year. Why don't you change your dates?

You knew when Star Wars weekend was, you were there the same time last year. Why don't you change your dates?

The dates for star wars weekend were not posted until after we booked our trip. When I select dates, many factors go into choosing them. It is way to dificult to change the days that we come and go. We have airfare booked with is non-refunable. We have jobs that dont allow us with the flexibility, and some of us have college summer classes.

The dates did not become a factor until they decided to close RnRC for the entire week.

I imagine their moms and loved one's don't think they're nobody's! :sad2:

Nor do Star Wars fans. Plus, isn't Darth Maul going to be there this year? (and haven't I seen him on the roster most years that I've been paying attention to this?) I still harbor hopes for a voiceover career...everyone in a movie is helpful! :)

Won't most of the SWW people be focused on SW stuff anyway?

The dates for star wars weekend were not posted until after we booked our trip. When I select dates, many factors go into choosing them. It is way to dificult to change the days that we come and go. We have airfare booked with is non-refunable. We have jobs that dont allow us with the flexibility, and some of us have college summer classes.

The dates did not become a factor until they decided to close RnRC for the entire week.

I completely understand about the no flex time at work. Like Bumbershoot said, hopefully the crowd will be busy with the SWW activities or maybe you can go to DHS specifically to ride RnRc in the last couple of days of your trip. Hopefully it won't be so crowded on the RnRc side of the park.

I agree with you that I imagine the park will be very crowded. Star Wars Weekends is an annual event which attracts many, many fans. They have a great meaning to the fans, but I also understand that there are people who don't enjoy them. When I went last year, I met three girls from Japan who had come specifically for the first weekend. I'm sorry that this has happened. Is there any way that you could maybe reschedule your holiday for a quieter time and when RnRC is up and running again, and you know everyone is able to go again?

Also, I don't think the people who attend are a bunch of nobodies. I wouldn't call Peter Mayhew, who plays Chewbacca, a nobody, nor Billy Dee Williams, who played Lando Calrissian, in two of the original films. Both are extremely well known. Lorne Peterson has created many of the models used in all 6 films. If these three, or many of the others, were "nobodies", I honestly do not think George Lucas would have picked them to work on the movies, or have casted them to be in the movies.

We go every Memorial Day weekend and just about every one has been a Star Wars weekend one. We find that the only really big crowds are over near Star Tours and where the autograph areas are. However, things are pretty well organized and we just walk through that area to see things and then move on. We don't find the rest of the park mobbed at all.

These people are not "nobodys" if you are a Star Wars fan and that's who the weekends are for. If it's not for you, that's fine. But please don't demean it for the ones who do enjoy it.

And I highly doubt anyone thinks Billy Dee Williams is a "nobody". And I know a few years ago, Carrie Fisher was there.

At first I thought you were upset because you couldn't ride RnRC at all on your trip. Then I see that you're upset because you have to enter DHS to ride it during a Star Wars Weekend.

I can't think of a better time to try and ride it - the people who are there for Star Wars will all be on the other side of the park, not in line for the coaster. Unless you can't stand being around the Star Wars fans at all (which I think is possible from the tone of your posts), I think you've actually got an advantage.

I just think its poor scheduling by Disney.

I have to disagree...it's not poor planning on Disney's part.
They have a busy weekend coming and are refurbishing to have it done in time. That's good planning.

I do think it's poor planning on your part. If you plan on going in May, then you accept it will be Star Wars Weekends. Hard to complain about them if you knew they were going to happen.

We go in Jan every year, we accept there's a good chance Splash will be closed. I can't blame Disney for refub when I know in advance it might be closed.

As for timing of Refub, that's the luck of the draw. Your only upset becauase it's happening on your trip. If it happened a week later, you wouldn't think it was unfair.
Anyone can can plan a trip in advance then have something closed. There will always be someone disapointed no matter when they close something but they have to do refurbs.
We went in July a couple years ago and Pirates was closed. The busiest time of the summer. It happens.

So if Riding RnR is a priority to you, see the rest of the park during the week. without the SWW crowd...then get there on Sat. at rope drop, ride RnR a couple times before the line builds up, then leave and go to another park.
Pretty easy solution.

SW weekends were announced many months ago, and most anyone familar with Disney and / or SW weekends could tell you that they are pretty much always the end of May into June (and last 4 weekends).

MDburr,
I feel your pain. Two trips ago, we ended up at DHS during a SSW. Now I am a Star Wars fan, but still wasn't overly-jazzed about the added chaos. The day we went was Sunday. We got to the gate within 60 min of opening and I mean to tell you I have never waited in a line that long to get into any Disney park. There were people EVERYWHERE about 75 deep!!!! We almost left because it was ridiculous. But we hung in there. Another poster was definitely right about the majority of the crowd sticking to the Star Wars part of the park. We went through that area and got some picks of Star Wars characters walking around, but avoided all the other Star Wars "stuff". But the rest of the park wasn't bad and the ride waits were fairly normal. RnRC is my son's favorite and we rode it that day about 5 times.
If what you are going to DHS for is RnRC, go and hang in through the crowds getting in and walking around. And you should be able to get on RnRC, especially during the parade and those other SW events.
Also, I didn't think you demeaned anyone else -- you clearly said in your post that YOU thought they were nobodies. They should be glad you won't be in line to see whoever they are... :-)

What can you possibly do in 5 days that it needs to be closed. Why not just work on it at night, or do early closures. :confused
Every ride has to be closed periodically to fix things. They do a LOT of maintenance at night, but there are things they simply can't do in the time between park closing and it opening again in the morning. It's for everyone's safety. They try their best to spread out and rotate what is closed so that you don't go to Disney and there's a ton of things closed, but the trade off is that on any trip there's a good chance that one or two things will be closed.

I have been to DHS during Star Wars Weekend. We did not do the SW stuff, but the entire park was a nightmare. Thankfully we had APs and left to go to a less crowded park. We will hopefully never be there for SWW again.

If you go to DHS during SWW, I think your best bet would be to pick a day that does not have Fantasmic, if such a weekend day exists. Crowds seem heavier on Fantasmic days, and if you don't plan to stay to see it the you can more easily maneuver through SWW and RnR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter